Mens Tennis Forums banner

Zverev's Runner Up Speech Youtube Clip.... makes you think twice about hating him. Emotional and heartfelt.

2K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  jj52480 
#1 ·
I know MTF loves to troll and hate on players and be arm chair warriors.

And I guarantee you there will be plenty of people who will still call him Mugrev.... etc.

But take a watch of Zverev here and I see how much tennis actually means to him. All the posturing and cockiness and confidence is just a front. Deep down he has a lot going on , emotionally and is obviously really invested in tennis and his friends and family. Who knows , but he may have given his parents COVID from all his running around and partying during the 03/2020-06/2020 and maybe he has some guilt from that.... I do not claim this to be true.... but everything seems so fake until it effects you or someone you know. Must be really tough regardless to be in his situation... he gets that he choked and couldn't close out the match.... but man I really hope he learns something from this experience and plays the type of tennis he knows he can play...

Watch below

#4 ·
Very touching sincere heartfelt speech by Zverev, surely he added many many new supporters and fans to his fanbase, much like Li Na did after her wonderful brilliant runner up speech at AO. As I said before, Zverev gained more respect from this loss than any of his previous wins.

Reactions: educasian
#5 ·
Yes, I thought I was turning the corner on him, but then you watch his bratty post match press conference and you realize why you weren't his fan to begin with

#7 ·
Are you referring to this? Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with him there. I don't like how dismissive he is about Ferrer when asked to speculate what role Ferrer may have had in his US Open preparation.
“I mean, look, I just lost 7-6 in the fifth in a Grand Slam final. David is great. I’ve said it on multiple occasions...Yeah, right now, as I said before, I learned a lot from him. Right now I don’t think is the time to talk about that.”

Kowchi said:
All the posturing and cockiness and confidence is just a front. Deep down he has a lot going on , emotionally and is obviously really invested in tennis and his friends and family.
I think he was embarrassed that he cried during the speech and just closed himself back up into his sullen cocoon. And for the record I think it's possible to be a cocky brat but still love your parents. Those aren't mutually exclusive. And we've seen him swearing viciously at his father in the past so it's clear even if he loves his dad he doesn't seem to respect him. I do think he probably gave his parents COVID. He's lucky they both are fine. Hopefully that's true.

Initially I was touched by his post-match speech but now I've snapped out of it. It'll take a lot more than a few tears to get me on the Zverev train.

#12 ·
Are you referring to this? Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with him there. I don't like how dismissive he is about Ferrer when asked to speculate what role Ferrer may have had in his US Open preparation.
“I mean, look, I just lost 7-6 in the fifth in a Grand Slam final. David is great. I’ve said it on multiple occasions...Yeah, right now, as I said before, I learned a lot from him. Right now I don’t think is the time to talk about that.”

I think he was embarrassed that he cried during the speech and just closed himself back up into his sullen cocoon. And for the record I think it's possible to be a cocky brat but still love your parents. Those aren't mutually exclusive. And we've seen him swearing viciously at his father in the past so it's clear even if he loves his dad he doesn't seem to respect him. I do think he probably gave his parents COVID. He's lucky they both are fine. Hopefully that's true.

Initially I was touched by his post-match speech but now I've snapped out of it. It'll take a lot more than a few tears to get me on the Zverev train.
Yes the whole presser was bratty but especially the Ferrer question. "It's not the time to talk about this." No, clown it is the perfect time to talk about this. Part of being a top player is being able to face the music when you lose

#18 ·
Yes the whole presser was bratty but especially the Ferrer question. "It's not the time to talk about this." No, clown it is the perfect time to talk about this. Part of being a top player is being able to face the music when you lose
You really can’t give him a break, at all can you? He’s been asked about this question every single match, i understand you guys don’t follow his PCs, but every PC I’ve watched this week they’ve been asking about Ferrer impact all the time’, every single day and it got really tiring. There is nothing wrong with his PC, you guys are reaching. Try giving a press conference after losing an slam final in the way he did, it’s not easy.

I see this PC and frankly I see nothing wrong with it, the thought that you guys actually found fault in this is frankly a bit too much and unfair on him.

To be fair it's just speculation. Parents could have gotten it anywhere. I have no idea if they were taking quarantine rules seriously or if they were but just unlucky. But however they caught it, yes, it's extra risky for someone with diabetes! I was surprised how flippant Zverev sounded when he was asked how his parents were doing and if they were symptomatic. He didn't answer the question about symptoms and simply said they've since tested negative.
Hmm do you have any source/link to base this speculation? What are you basing this on? Perhaps I’m not knowledgeable enough but don’t you need to have COVID yourself to give other people COVID. And as far as I’m aware, Zverev never had COVID.

#6 ·
This speech got to me, no question about that. Everything that is real and honest always does, like the guy in the pink shirt standing next to Sascha, and behind him during the speech.

But did this immediately turn me into a Sascha fan again?

No, unfortunately it didn't. I don't hate him though, never have (far from that), and who knows when he gets older and loses some of those arrogant features of his, and remembers how to play great tennis again, then I might become a real fan again.

#11 ·
Always found Zverev to be one of the most, if not the most, articulate one among the top tennis pros.

#16 ·
A beautiful speech. Really moving and tugged at the heartstrings.

In terms of emotional runner-up moments, I thought it was right up there with Murray at Wimbledon 2012, Djokovic at Roland Garros 2015 and Federer at the Australian Open in 2009.

This article from 5 years ago talks about all 3:

If Zverev ever gets to another slam final and fans are allowed, they will go wild for him.

#17 ·
Zverev deserves no sympathy, respect or fans. This Shakespeare quote sums his speech up.

“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!”

#20 ·
Hating a person i don't know, who plays a sport on TV? :( I would dislike him. That's it

#21 ·
I have so many question marks about Zverev and his personality. When I watched his videos and photos of his off court moments with other players, especially the ones he is close with, like Thiem, Melo or Djokovic, he looks like a very likable, nice and genuine guy. Like his expression is totally different, especially when he puts his glasses on, he just looks nice and sweet at times. But then he has those bratty, cocky and douchebag moments on the court or in the press conference that are totally unlikable, or his celebrations after MPs sometimes, or when he shared his thoughts about how great he is. Or recently when he sounded so proud to win his QF and SF playing ugly tennis and did not give a fck about others questioning about his style of play. I’m just confused and can’t decide whether I want to like him or not.

#23 ·
I think he has a lot of pressure to impress outside sources and live up to the hype and his name. Biggest German tennis player since Becker , plus he gets hype from Media , ATP , gets videos about his "fun personality" and his drive to be the best.

He needs to stop impressing other people and start impressing himself....

#24 ·
On a side note: if you are NOT a fan, Sascha is a fun player to watch, especially in a neutral match where you don't root for his opponent. You never know whether he hits a 120km first serve, a DF or a 220km 2nd serve ace. Does any other player have so much "variety" on his serve? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.