Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“Every day 20-25 times. In the nights, too. And in my dreams, too. I think that says it all, no?” Zverev replied when asked how many times a day does he think about the US Open final.

The guy is going to choke big time if/when he reaches his next slam final.

Someone needs overlay Zverev in PTSD dog meme.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
Doesn‘t say much about his confidence.

Should look ahead.

But I doubt he feels like making a slam final again is imminent. This state reflects that.

It feels like a wasted opportunity he won‘t get so soon again.

We really dodged a MAJOR bullet that night.

Would have been such a cheap, fake outcome.

·
Registered
29,206 Posts
I sort of get it, but at the same time I think Zverev shouldn't obsess over that loss. After all, Thiem practically gave him the first 2 sets, and also Zverev was a bit lucky to even be in that final to begin with, lacking a 2nd serve all tournament and stuff.

But perhaps that's why he's thinking about it so much. He's unsure if he will ever get a chance like that again. Regardless, he's got to let it go if he ever wants to compete for another slam title.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He needs to remind himself that being broken when serving for a match has happened a million times. Bit different with a first serve like his though, and actually getting back to another final could be the tough part. When the Big 3 go, there's very little between the next 9 or 10 guys and it will be a real dogfight and something of a lottery.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Not surprising he feels this way given his reaction when the match was over. In a sense it is justified since it won't be easy for him to make another GS final so long as Djokovic and Nadal are kicking around, but then again he absolutely can (and should) win slams in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NID he'll be next Guillermo Coria (but lacking his talent, of course) and won't even reach a GS final during his whole career. Sinner will dominate him

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
NID he'll be next Guillermo Coria (but lacking his talent, of course) and won't even reach a GS final during his whole career. Sinner will dominate him
There are a bunch of players in the next 3 years who would come to dominate him (a tall dude with no second serve, in a Bo5 no less). Not to mention Rafa, Novak or Thiem .

He should be thinking this was it , there for the taking , the window of opportunity never so wide open EVER , now closed for the rminder .

EDIT: Yeap It's different with Coria, for that 2004 RG , he was head and shoulders above the rest of the players, wasn't even funny . It was so beautiful and dominant then soul crushing . Zverev was nowhere THAT in this USO , rather a big time lucky run .

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
poor him but he should not have lost in such a leading positoin......... to comfort himself, Fed's lost in wimbledon 2019 is more heartbreaking than his Alex at least did not have match ;points on his own serve.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
poor him but he should not have lost in such a leading positoin......... to comfort himself, Fed's lost in wimbledon 2019 is more heartbreaking than his Alex at least did not have match ;points on his own serve.
As painful as Wimby 2019 was, Federer at least has zillion GS titles to his name while Sascha has big fat ZERO.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
555 Posts
ROFL. I haven't heard such good news since Thiem won the last point.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
I sort of get it, but at the same time I think Zverev shouldn't obsess over that loss. After all, Thiem practically gave him the first 2 sets, and also Zverev was a bit lucky to even be in that final to begin with, lacking a 2nd serve all tournament and stuff.

But perhaps that's why he's thinking about it so much. He's unsure if he will ever get a chance like that again. Regardless, he's got to let it go if he ever wants to compete for another slam title.
He was lucky and I think that’s why he feels that way, because it was such a golden opportunity missed and you wonder how long will it take for him to get a golden chance like this again to win a slam. I don’t blame him. It will take time to recover from such a painful loss. He’s not Fedalovic who can bounce back from heartbreakers like nothing happened

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
He was lucky and I think that’s why he feels that way, because it was such a golden opportunity missed and you wonder how long will it take for him to get a golden chance like this again to win a slam. I don’t blame him. It will take time to recover from such a painful loss. He’s not Fedalovic who can bounce back from heartbreakers like nothing happened
It should take absolutely no time recovering from something you shouldn’t have won anyway.

That‘s not what created heartbreakers.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
It should take absolutely no time recovering from something you shouldn’t have won anyway.

That‘s not what created heartbreakers.
Hmm yeah no, that’s not how Zverev views it anyway. I think wasting a golden opportunity to achieve something really big and letting it slip away, knowing you may not get a good chance like that anymore is just as heartbreaking.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes, it was all very sad and stuff but get over it already Sascha! I think he's very self-centered. His loss in USO final was nothing we haven't seen before: someone has to lose, only one can win. That's just the way it is. Think about Medvedev's loss to Nadal in USO final 2019, it sure wasn't funny for him, he almost won...
Sascha should forget about it and move on. Maybe it would be good for him to talk to someone, therapist maybe. It was only one final. There are lot more to come. Life goes on.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
How many times has this guy escaped with 5 set victories in Slams the last couple years? He was bound to lose one eventually

1 - 20 of 20 Posts