Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that he is not the tabloid star, but his name is rather known for people following challenger tour. And he always appears as a Russian. Even ATP site has his nationality stated as Russian:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=S809

While he has just won his singles tie for Kazakhstan in Davis Cup Asia / Oceania.
I know that sportsmen are sometimes changing their nationality to get better approach for training base or coaches or are financially rewarded by the state (hmm I can recall marathon runner Wilson Kipketer from Kenya-Denmark as an example). There were also some players changing their nationality because they have been in their new country for so long or political reasons took a role (Seles, Navratilova). Sometimes money :) (I can recall some good swimmer from Qatar).

But neither Schukin was born in Kazakhstan (or maybe I got something wrong, but ATP says it is Kislovodsk, Russia - maybe it was within Kazakhstan in 1979) nor Kazakhis have some great tennis facilities probably. Money ? Heritage ? Someone knows something about this ?

Can you recall some other tennis players changing their nationality ?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I can recall Ryan Sweeting changing from Bahama to USA and Eric Taiino from USA to Philippines

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
ivo klec used to play for germany and chose to play for slovakia last year, probably because of the hope for davis cup exposure. he was born in slovakia though, so it makes sense for him to kinda switch back.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Ryan Sweeting used to have Bahamas as his nationality but is USA these days.

Some lower ranked Italian plays for San Marino in that small nations of europe games or whatever the fuck it's called. Not sure about DC. Think it's Galvani.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,411 Posts
Vassallo Arguello, Argentinian, Italian and Argie again. Dunno if he has an italian origin or smth

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Greg Rusedski is another example. He was Canadian, British and is now Macedonian (JOKE)
:haha:

Thomas Behrend, from Brazil to Germany

btw, last week i noticed that Davydenko was born in Ukraine, of course it is a different story ;)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
He switched his nationality because Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.

·
Tênis Mambembe
36,773 Posts
Roman Borvanov and Denys Molcyanov are from Moldova. Molcyanov plays for Ukraine, Borvanov sometimes is listed as American, sometimes as Moldovan.

·
Registered
86,336 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Vassallo Arguello, Argentinian, Italian and Argie again. Dunno if he has an italian origin or smth
He signed a contract with the italian federation, they provided him clothing, accomodation, etc. And money of course.

When it expired, he got back the ARG.

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
Just look at DC PAW team of Kazakhstan. They have money to buy anyone, even a star like Schukin ;).

I believe they won PAW last year playing with a Kazakh, French, Russian and Albanian.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Borat told him to come over for some sexy time with the prostitutes.

:lol: Joking...

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Schukin today, Tursunov tomorrow, Nadal, Djokovik, Jan Silva and Carlos Boluba the days after.
No one will stop Kazakhstan.
Be careful people.

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
The guy who used to own Sopot tournament makes business in Kazakhstan. Just a matter of time when they move the city Sopot over there, together with the Baltic Sea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts