Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No surprise. Truthfully, he's still in the doubles draw, but this was his last singles match.

Ancic, Murray Advance to Second Rd.; Gimelstob Bows Out
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2007news/stpete_tuesday.asp

ST. PETERSBURG OPEN
St. Petersburg, Russia
October 23, 2007

(only the relevant parts pasted here)

Ancic now will face third-seeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny who defeated American Justin Gimelstob 6-2, 6-4 in one hour and seven minutes. World No. 19 Youzhny, a titlist in Rotterdam (d. Ljubicic) this year, hit five aces and broke serve three times to record his 45th victory of the season. He is making his seventh appearance in St. Petersburg, winning the title in 2004 (d. Beck).

World No. 549 Gimelstob (pictured above) played the last singles match of his career with the loss. He reached a career-high ranking of No. 63 in April 1999 and has made one career ATP singles final, losing to Philippoussis in Newport, 2006. Speaking afterwards he said: "Today it was hard to concentrate in the match. I faced a great player and I knew this could be my last match. During my entire career I tried to do the best I could every day; always gave my best. Very few people get to be good at what they do, enjoy it and still make a living of it. I think I'm blessed to be one of those people.

"I think what I miss the most are the guys in the tour. I made great friends throughout my 12-year career. These last couple months of my career were very enjoyable. I want to thank everyone who supported during my career and apologize the umpires for the the problems I might have created." :lol:

See you in the broadcast booth Justin (and you still owe me a hitting session). Thanks for the Towels!

Okay haters, have at him. You can't resist. :)

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
Best wishes to him - he's provided some stellar entertainment over the years, with his diving exploits on grass, especially.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,879 Posts
Justin :yeah: Now into the booth and onto my tv screen :banana:

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Happy retirement Gimel :wavey:

another 90's player bites the dust :sad:

scoobsuk said:
provided some stellar entertainment over the years, with his diving exploits on grass, especially.
hehe, against Hewitt at Wimbledon one year i remember, diving around like a fish out a stream and then getting manipulated back into shape by the trainer & groaning "oooO ahhhh" "aouww"

like me at the doctors when i'm getting injected :lol:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That match gave us what I think was his greatest quote ever: "All you have to do is look at me and you can see there is no anabolicness there." :lol:

He created a word!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I thought he retired after the US Open no?

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Fare well, Gimelstob!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
thanks a lot for al the diving :)

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Gimelstob was an interesting player but he has never reached GS quarterfinal and hasn't won ATP tournament. So in a contrary to other players who retired this year, I won't make a statistical tribute for him :p

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
I do not remember anything really good about Gimelstob. I guess nobody will miss him.
If you don't remember anything good about him, it doesn't mean others don't. His fans will surely miss him, and even though I am not one of them,I will miss him. He was a character in the matches. I hope he will have a good life after tennis.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Second time that Youzhny sends a player into retirement in St. petersbourg

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gimelstob was an interesting player but he has never reached GS quarterfinal and hasn't won ATP tournament. So in a contrary to other players who retired this year, I won't make a statistical tribute for him :p
Not even his 14 doubles titles and two slam mixed titles? Or the times he won singles and doubles at a Challenger? Come on, he excelled at averageness, surely the statistics support that? ;) :hug:

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Not even his 14 doubles titles and two slam mixed titles? Or the times he won singles and doubles at a Challenger? Come on, he excelled at averageness, surely the statistics support that? ;) :hug:
If I'll make a thread about Gimelstob, maybe I should make a thread about Kratochvil as well :angel: I don't feel enough passion to make threads about all retired players. Sorry Fee, but I've got my own criteria concerning tribute threads - at least one title in singles and at least 100 matches won in singles :wavey:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts