Mens Tennis Forums banner

Youzhny retiring end of 2018

4K views 38 replies 34 participants last post by  Manu_ser 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#7 ·
Popularly known as "Colonel" for his salutes after his matches, Youzhny gives everything on court. Will miss his honest tennis.

Reached at least Quarterfinals of all grand slams. Glad that he will be playing his last event in his home country and ending his career there.

fi-CgSO9Evw

#9 ·
Sad, I mean Youzhny is still hanging on around the Top 150 mark, but it's true he already has a long run, with his revival run happening around 2013. Best wishes for the colonel, and I agree I'll miss his salutes. From the times I saw him play he really was quite entertaining even though he isn't the most mentally focused player out there. Another member of the OHBH crew will be gone too.

#11 ·
New Balls Gen is fading away. :sadface:

Thank you, Colonel, for everything you've done and best of luck in the future. I also think he'll be a great coach. His brother has had some success already. They will be a good team, I reckon.

Reactions: Joe H and Mimi
#12 ·
Take care, Colonel, a real man of the people.

• career high #8
  • best slam result: US Open 2010 SF
  • best tournament win: Rotterdam 2007, Valencia 2013
  • career highlight: 2008 match vs Almagro in Miami

Pity he wasn't able to win at least one Masters 1000, but a good career nevertheless. The last time Mischa was in the spotlight was probably that Asian challenger swing last year, when he won like 4 in a row without losing a set.

Take care

#19 ·
So much for "35 is the new 25". :laugh2:

Early 30ies is very, very different from mid and late 30ies wrt human physiology. We'll be seeing more retirements very soon sadly, the new balls gen is almost entirely gone by now, with only Fed remaining as a top player.

How long can he still hang on and defy his age?

I don't think the Nadalovic gen has much time left either.

#20 ·
Someone I thoroughly enjoyed watching and I loved his craziness at times.
Very impressive player with his CH in the top 10 and 2 slam SFs at the US Open in 2006 (the Spanish slayer beating Ferrer, Robredo and Rafa on route) and 2010 (beating Isner, Robredo and Wawrinka).

Best of luck to him in retirement.

Reactions: Joe H
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.