Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RBA beats Youzhny in 3 sets at St Petersburg qf, thereby ending Youzhny's career, just one short of his 500th win on the tour.
Youzhny retires with 10 titles, across all surfaces, at least a qf in all slams, career high ranking of number 8 and 2 Davis cup titles. Good career! Salute!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Great career, underrated (and underachiever?) and nice player to watch!

Current world no 5 of the 36+ yo retires..that leaves Fed with Benneteau (basically retired, maybe waiting for DC), Lopez (done after clay season next year, right?), Karlovic (not done a the all, still has about 5000 aces to give), Robert and Mahut in the top 200..

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
RBA is a PoS! :eek:

Okay, sorry. I just had to. Misha finishes with 499 wins after being up a break in the first set, and having two SP's in the TB. Won 50% of the points, too. This was very close... :tears:

Welp, he had a great career and will be a good coach, I reckon. Good luck, Colonel!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great career, underrated (and underachiever?) and nice player to watch!

Current world no 5 of the 36+ yo retires..that leaves Fed with Benneteau (basically retired, maybe waiting for DC), Lopez (done after clay season next year, right?), Karlovic (not done a the all, still has about 5000 aces to give), Robert and Mahut in the top 200..
Did you just blend Ferrer and Lopez into one player ? Because Feli will certainly not retire just before grass! ?

·
The special one
14,029 Posts
Sad to see another one of the old guard retiring. Pity he couldn't get 500 wins, that would've put him in a very elite group of players to achieve that milestone. That Racquet smash to the head against Almagro is something I'll remember.

Okay, sorry. I just had to. Misha finishes with 499 wins after being up a break in the first set, and having two SP's in the TB. Won 50% of the points, too. This was very close... :tears:

Welp, he had a great career and will be a good coach, I reckon. Good luck, Colonel!
This post looks like it was made by Slade and Yawnalot's lovechild :p

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Saw him beat Rafa at US Open on Armstrong in four sets, it was a magic show by Youzhny, stole the third set somehow with amazing tennis. Rarely see a player steal a set from Nadal in any major, several times Youzhny was hanging by a thread. Maybe the best tennis of his life right there or the Davis CUp final vs Mathieu in the live fifth rubber from two sets down vs France in France was incredible, Safin won two points in that tie which is totally forgotten because of Youzhny's heroics. Never could solve Federer, 0-17, his only win vs Fed was in US Open junior boys doubles :)

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I doubt Mihkail Youzhny cares about the 500 number (perhaps he is not even aware of it) otherwise he would have played a few more tournaments before calling it a career.

·
28,458 Posts

That is crazy, I always think of Youzhny as a good player, but 499 wins is in some ways, just a mediocre ATP player. Raonic is already at 317 and Gilles Simon is at 446. Gasquet is at 608.

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
That is crazy, I always think of Youzhny as a good player, but 499 wins is in some ways, just a mediocre ATP player. Raonic is already at 317 and Gilles Simon is at 446. Gasquet is at 608.
Perhaps so but Misha top level is more supreme than these guys, maybe other than Rao

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Well, perhaps mediocre if we use our inflated and unjustified ATG standards, but he was a worthy top tenner at his peak.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Yeah, but it depends on quality wins and titles too, I think, to put him as above mediocre. And I agree also peak level which is not found in statistics. He was able to put good fights with the bests and that's enough too, IMO.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Had a great game when at his best, but I think I'll remember the Colonel most for the occasional beatings he admistered to himself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts