1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Youzhny Close To Signing Fila Deal

By Richard Pagliaro
01/30/2003

Mikhail Youzhny was cloaked in the Russian flag following his heroic comeback from a two-set deficit in the decisive match to defeat Paul-Henri Mathieu and lift Russia to its first Davis Cup championship in history last month. Now, the 27th-ranked Russian is close to signing a three-year shoe and clothing contract with Fila.

Fila executive Martin Mulligan told SportsBusiness Journal writerDaniel Kaplan that the Italian sportswear company is close to signing Youzhny to the deal that would pay him "in the low six figures annually." Typically, player endorsement contracts contain bonus clauses, which could pay Youzhny substantially more money should he meet the contract incentives.

The signing would give Fila its first prominent male player since Mark Philippoussis, who signed with Fila three years ago, but has been sidetracked by three knee surgeries that have limited his play in recent years.

Fila has had much more success with women endorsers as it has three top-10 players— third-ranked Kim Clijsters, sixth-ranked Jennifer Capriati and eighth-ranked Jelena Dokic — under contract.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You should check the Russian Roulette here more often :p

But nice to see Misha getting some recognition.

BTW, he was quite a good junior, wasn't he?

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not everyone goes and checks that so this is for the others :p

yes, Misha was very good
made Aus jr finals at 16.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hope he doesn't have the same bad luck on injuries as Mark P (can't spell his surname, sorry) had. :D

I don't think red is his color though ;) :p

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I don't like him in fila. Maybe adidas, but not fila.:-/

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Me what?

Oh, nevermind... Im a Dissident now......

:p

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
adidas is so rich in sponsorships already...so many players dress alike...maybe different clothes will get individuality...

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
i like Fila. i think Fila and Reebok have the best clothes IMO:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
He wear Fila outfits to play at the AusOpen already...... The red & white combination....

And he looks good in the outfit...... ;)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Mikhail is very deserving of the Fila contract. But I hope making some endorsement money doesn't hurt his game the way it did with Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Elena Dementieva.

I expect Misha to be in the top 20 this year and maybe even the top15.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Why would making endorsement money hurt his game? :eek:

It's not like he's making Anna-esque amounts - just an extra 6 figures or so :D

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Becca, I used Dementieva as an example. As soon as she started to make some endorsement money her game regressed. And it's known that Kafelnikov didn't want any tennis sportswear contracts because he didn't like the pressure to win the sportswear companies put on him. But I don't think Youzhny will be making "Anna-esque" type endorsement money. I just hope Mikhail doesn't feel the weight of greater expections to win once the money starts rolling in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts