Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alot of people know Safin has a tendancy to under-perform, but i want your under-performers...players you feel are not filling their potential, i understand that this is very subjective, but which player makes you scream at your tv, some one who is capable of mind-blowing tennis but has a brain farts during matches?..here's an ESPN article on David Nalbandian to show you what i mean

i.e. their current ranking
and their potential ranking

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
Re: your too talented for this Sh!t....

Gaudio has caused me to empty many a bottle of Pepto Bismol over the years, especially when he struggled on clay. With the talent- the BH, such an amazing shot- I would blow out my vocal chords just watching matches dissolve. The worst has been seeing matches that he had in hand, only to see an unfortunate result for him at the end.

That being said- it's impossible not to wish all the best for him. I will keep doing so until I hear the words, "this is not fun for me anymore, and I want to do something else," come out of his mouth. :)

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

:lol: but at least he's got a slam under his belt!
That's what is part of the frustration, T2T. Some of us are greedy. I assumed there would be another one. :p

I feel the pain of the Nalby fans, I really do. With Gaudio, it's like eating one piece of chocolate, only to have someone take it away from you, before your appetite has been satiated.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's what is part of the frustration, T2T. Some of us are greedy. I assumed there would be another one. :p

I feel the pain of the Nalby fans, I really do. With Gaudio, it's like eating one piece of chocolate, only to have someone take it away from you, before your appetite has been satiated.
i've never paid much attention to Gaudio his gotta be one of the most low profile slam winners on the tour
...despite having the same number of slams as Andy Roddick:devil:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Good to see you are kidding about Gaudio.

If it was all about talent then Rios and Mecir would have won 20 Slams between them.

·
124,507 Posts

Federer has underperformed.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

Good to see you are kidding about Gaudio.

If it was all about talent then Rios and Mecir would have won 20 Slams between them.
That wasn't me kidding. It was me covering myself about being selfish. I realize how the purists are about this kind of thing, Rios included. ;)

If talent were the only measuring stick, then he would have had more than one. I still say that even with the shaky grey matter that lies between his ears, he could have figured it out somehow.

I make no apologies for any residual naivety that I will demonstrate.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts

What exactly happened to Gato that caused him to go off the deep end like that? I can understand why Coria lost his heart but after winning RG04 Gaston was on a roll, winning several clay titles that year. And then everything just suddenly seemed to stop and he stopped believing. What happened?

·
124,507 Posts

What exactly happened to Gato that caused him to go off the deep end like that? I can understand why Coria lost his heart but after winning RG04 Gaston was on a roll, winning several clay titles that year. And then everything just suddenly seemed to stop and he stopped believing. What happened?
He didn't win a clay title after RG in 2004, he won 5 in 2005 and made the Masters semis that year.

I could tell you what happened, but not sure how genuinely interested you would be.

·
124,507 Posts

That wasn't me kidding. It was me covering myself about being selfish. I realize how the purists are about this kind of thing, Rios included. ;)

If talent were the only measuring stick, then he would have had more than one. I still say that even with the shaky grey matter that lies between his ears, he could have figured it out somehow.

I make no apologies for any residual naivety that I will demonstrate.
Gaudio has won as many Slams as he has deserved and it's not just about hitting a beautiful backhand.

Santoro has a lot of talent, but has he underachived with his game in singles, well no.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

It sounds like there is a Journey song in there somewhere, Tangy. :lol:

I haven't the slightest idea. As inexplicable as all get out. Gaudio himself has said that he doesn't get it. If he doesn't know, nobody does. Read his explanation:

"I always think that I am my worst opponent. I always play against myself first and then against the other one. So I'm playing against two guys during the match...It's like mentally I don't know what is going to happen in the next ten minutes. Maybe I get depressed in ten minutes. I don't know myself too much...Yeah, I was working with a psychiatrist, and I still do.”

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

I could tell you what happened, but not sure how genuinely interested you would be.
An explanation of this would be very much appreciated, regardless of Tangy's interest level. ;)

Gaudio has won as many Slams as he has deserved and it's not just about hitting a beautiful backhand.
He won as many slams as he won, that's not in dispute. Saying that he won as many as he deserved, is a different matter entirely. Again, you are using the mental aspect of his game as the barrier for winning another one. I understand that, but that was not the issue with respect to his talent.

·
124,507 Posts

He won as many slams as he won, that's not in dispute. Saying that he won as many as he deserved, is a different matter entirely. Again, you are using the mental aspect of his game as the barrier for winning another one. I understand that, but that was not the issue with respect to his talent.
You overrate Gaston's talent, but hey no one's perfect.

An explanation of this would be very much appreciated, regardless of Tangy's interest level. ;)
All the information is readily available, don't forget the age he won RG, and of course after a strong 18 months there is going to be a decline, it's natural.

Before he won RG and afterwards are two very distinctive periods, but they relate to each other.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts

You overrate Gaston's talent, but hey no one's perfect.
I heard that you were, so you just debunked your own theory. :)

Okay, fair enough. I accept the first part of your sentence, but I refuse to apologize for that. I say he had it in the till to break out of that dreaded one slam wonder curse, regardless of what the history books will read.

All the information is readily available, don't forget the age he won RG, and of course after a strong 18 months there is going to be a decline, it's natural.

Before he won RG and afterwards are two very distinctive periods, but they relate to each other.
See this is just not fair. You threw down the gauntlet, and said that you would be willing to provide an explanation. Now, when asked for it, I am supposed to go look it all up for myself. Nice.

Will you at least be willing to impart some wisdom about the two periods of time you mention in your last sentence? I bit on your promise of clarification from before, in good faith, only to have you renege.

·
124,507 Posts

See this is just not fair. You threw down the gauntlet, and said that you would be willing to provide an explanation. Now, when asked for it, I am supposed to go look it all up for myself. Nice.

Will you at least be willing to impart some wisdom about the two periods of time you mention in your last sentence? I bit on your promise of clarification from before, in good faith, only to have you renege.
There are plenty of translated articles about Gaudio around, so nothing wrong with doing some work if you really want to.:)

Are you familiar with what happened in Malaga 2003? If you are a fan, then you should know it. Gaudio was called up to play Davis Cup while woefully out of form cause of injuries to other members, he played and had very poor performances and was roundly criticised for these performances by the media and fans which cost Argentina a chance to make the final and if people are pissed off then they have a right to vent.

That is why when he won RG the next year a lot of the same people that pissed on him, wanted to celebrate his win. This had a huge effect and also he was 27 when he won RG.

Hasn't played DC much since then for various reasons, he had to get money leant to him in the early days while he was on tour to cover his expenses.

All these events are related to each other as happens in life.

·
124,507 Posts

Doesn't everyone wins as many slams as they deserve?
This depends on who you talk to, doesn't it?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts