• It should not be legalized

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
23,598 Posts
The big thing here is that addiction is more a social issue than a drug issue. Very few people get addicted because of a drug. They get addicted because of depression, anxiety, trauma, loneliness, lack of family/friends, alienation from their surroundings, no control over their work place, consumer society, etc.

That's why punishing them doesn't work, they need help for their underlying issues

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
of course it should be legalized asap like in amsterdam

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
of course it should be legalized asap like in amsterdam
It's formally illegal to use, sell and produce marijuana in The Netherlands. We tolerate the use of soft drugs to a certain extent. People are 'allowed' to have 5 grams in their pocket. It's no priority for the Dutch police to enforce the law.

I'm fine with legalising marijuana. It's normal to buy alcohol although there are way more alcoholics being treated clinically in my country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want it to be legalized worldwide, but I think this is impossible because of the differences in culture and mindset in countries around the globe. My personal biggest concern about marijuana is that when you stop using marijuana, there is a strong possibility to suffer withdrawal symptoms such as insomnia, depression, anxiety, nausea, chills, and stomach pain. On the other hand, legalization of marijuana use might help in the fight against gangs who sell it. My favorite products are CBD gummies because they taste great and they really help your mind and your body.

·
RAVE ON
20,124 Posts
Since it became legal in Canada I have noticed less of the smell of pot on the street.

I think this is simply because people can smoke in their condos now, without having to worry about being reported.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is time to move on and legalize it all around the world! I believe that Recreational marijuana use is much safer and less damaging than alcohol or smoking cigarettes. It won't lead to excess violence, won't be destroying your lungs as regular tobacco smoking will and it surely is not as addicting. Also, Indica strains you can get from https://getkush.io/product-category/cannabis/indica/ are great for use, too. All these controls do is breed the organized crime, and the legalization takes a major source of income away from organized crime.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Legalizing marijuana is definitely a good idea, especially for those who struggle with depression or insomnia, because the effect of this drug is great for dealing with these symptoms of anxiety and stress. Personally, I prefer to be treated with kratom rather than marijuana because I prefer the effect I feel after taking it. I am glad that my sister advised me to take this medicine, which has now become a very necessary remedy for me, especially after the second self-isolation and the second wave of coronavirus

·
WOAT Predictor
7,135 Posts
Medicinal use for sure.
Maybe small quantities of personal use could be legalised, like it is in the ACT, but that’s about it.
Too many drug lords and criminal syndicates will appear otherwise.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Medicinal use for sure.
Maybe small quantities of personal use could be legalised, like it is in the ACT, but that’s about it.
Don't you think drugs being illegal has something to do with that?

·
RAVE ON
20,124 Posts
Medicinal use for sure.
I smell less pot on the streets in Toronto after legalization. There are pot shops all over the city, no need for dealers.
I think it is just that people can enjoy it at home now without worry that the condo neighbours will call the police.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Don't you think drugs being illegal has something to do with that?
And you think that legalizing heroin will help anything?

The air in NYC after legalization of pot is literally all marijuana smoke. Even in Central Park wherr even smoking is prohibited. Conceivably pandemics could have increased that too. Both happened at the same time. And when walking to office in the morning seeibg bunch of younger people sitting with joints here or there.
City really stinks now of weed and homeless as never before.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've never used Marijuana and I don't intend using it. I would prefer it not to exist.

But I think it's wrong to invest so much money and staff in prosecuting pot users and dealers, creating an underground market, while other similarly dangerous drugs (alcohol) are freely available.

Except when medical use is proven to be effective, the use of Marijuana should be discouraged (and highly taxed) just like tobacco.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I've never used Marijuana and I don't intend using it. I would prefer it not to exist.

But I think it's wrong to invest so much money and staff in prosecuting pot users and dealers, creating an underground market, while other similarly dangerous drugs (alcohol) are freely available.

Except when medical use is proven to be effective, the use of Marijuana should be discouraged (and highly taxed) just like tobacco.
You see the problem is balance. Legalizing it will save you in one place, but it will drive the other crime up ( because of widespread UI and greater total overall use ) , water down economy ( as users are much less productive and someone will have to pay for that ) and will make lives of non-users, like mine, significantly less comfortable. There is no free lunch here. It's not even zero sum move, it's clearly a negative sum move, it's just that all the negatives are well spread, will be visible only through statistics wuth time and therefore for now easy to ignore while the positive is localized and here. But overall I think that impact will be very bad.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
It's already de facto legal, or at least decriminalised, in the UK. The police long ago made an active choice not to enforce the Misuse of Drugs Act - their official approach is to issue a 'cannabis warning', which is not an offence, is not registered on any criminal record, and incurs no consequences of any kind. For most users, this benign warning is the worst case consequence from an encounter with the police. This was a political choice made by the Police Federation without any input from democratically elected politicians, though I doubt anyone would have prevented it, as there is zero political will to seriously try deterring drug use through punitive law enforcement.

You either have to be a serious criminal who is being charged with numerous other crimes to get sentenced for cannabis use or possession, or else be an insanely unlucky anomaly. Even if someone were arrested solely for drug possession, it'd not be easy to find a judge who would give them a sentence.

I suspect cannabis use will become even more prevalent here when it is legalised and licensed, with the market primed to be dominated by big companies with the money to pay for advertising campaigns (as with tobacco and alcohol). It's pretty easy to find people who believe the drug is completely harmless or even good for you, so effective has its public relations campaign been, so the groundwork is well laid for advertisers. There's a lot of money waiting to be made.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
And you think that legalizing heroin will help anything?

The air in NYC after legalization of pot is literally all marijuana smoke. Even in Central Park wherr even smoking is prohibited. Conceivably pandemics could have increased that too. Both happened at the same time. And when walking to office in the morning seeibg bunch of younger people sitting with joints here or there.
City really stinks now of weed and homeless as never before.
To a certain extent, yes. Addiction would still be a problem, but at the same time most societies allow people to buy alcohol in stores. Alcohol is a (hard) drug.

When a country has control over the world of drugs in all its aspects (e.g. distribution, use), criminals are less likely to get involved, because they won't be able to earn money with drugs.

If my neighbours or friends want to use hard drugs from time to time, I'd rather they buy it from an official organisation instead of some crazy dealer on the streets who is simply runnings errands for an international drug cartel.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
To a certain extent, yes. Addiction would still be a problem, but at the same time most societies allow people to buy alcohol in stores. Alcohol is a (hard) drug.

When a country has control over the world of drugs in all its aspects (e.g. distribution, use), criminals are less likely to get involved, because they won't be able to earn money with drugs.
Drug dealer related crime ( apart from counterfeitting ) will get smaller. But the number of users will increase manifold due to easy access. And that will destroy many more lives and contribute to much more crime.

Alcohol.. I drink every week, I have zero addiction. In expeditions I go weeks without drinking and with no slightest duscomfort. Opioids will get you irreversibly addicted and very quick. And that will be your addiction for life.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Drug dealer related crime ( apart from counterfeitting ) will get smaller. But the number of users will increase manifold due to easy access. And that will destroy many more lives and contribute to much more crime.
It's all about personal responsibility. During college, I could have used cocaine when fellow students put it on the table. Some wanted to try it. Some didn't want to including myself. It's just not for me. At the same time I know there are a lot of people who want to use drugs when going to a party. I'm fine with that as long as they don't bother anyone else.

Alcohol.. I drink every week, I have zero addiction. In expeditions I go weeks without drinking and with no slightest duscomfort. Opioids will get you irreversibly addicted and very quick. And that will be your addiction for life.
Same goes for alcohol for many people and we still don't mind stores selling it. In my country, there are more alcoholics than drug addicts being treated in clinics.

To be clear, I'm not trying to stimulate the use of drugs. I just think a more liberal and honest approach is better for a society to deal with it. Addiction is everywhere and is more than using pills or powder. It's a social issue and imo that's the best way to look at it instead of more legislation, thus criminalisation of drugs.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
As bad as alcohol is, it doesn't turn people into addicts from just few doses. That's why it's legal. Because for huge share of people it's mostly safe. Stuff like heroin? Not safe for anyone.. And mostly, eventually, deadly for everyone who uses it.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts