Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Simply educate people, don't make drugs some monster from the closet; of course, there are already some programs in action, but there could always be more.
Educating about weed would be worthwhile.

Pros:
-Helps with muscle and joint pain. [Not my reason to use it lol].
-Can help with lack of appetite, but can make you overeat.
-Makes walks and bike rides even better.
-Can have some interesting conversations...arguably
-Can help with sleep
-Typically social, much like alcohol.

Cons:
-May make you tired
-May make you want to watch movies
-May make you critical of movies
-May make you be lazy
-May be stinky if smoked.

Anyways, education is much better than just telling people no, in my honest opinion.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Society goes in cycles like this. Alcohol and gambling were once looked upon as vice and now look. Huge businesses ingrained in society.

Give it a few decades.

·
Registered
15,784 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
What would that prove? You claim that everyone would become heroin addicts the second it becomes legal, without anything to back such absurd claim up.
No, I don't! Please don't put words in my mouth. What I actually claim is that more people will use a drug if it's socially acceptable and available at the local store, rather than socially taboo and you have to buy it illegally from a drug dealer. That should not be a very controversial statement unless you're on drugs or something.

·
Premium Member
21,091 Posts
No, I don't! Please don't put words in my mouth. What I actually claim is that more people will use a drug if it's socially acceptable and available at the local store, rather than socially taboo and you have to buy it illegally from a drug dealer. That should not be a very controversial statement unless you're on drugs or something.
Um, yes you do. In any case, being legal doesn't mean acceptable, Valium and similar medicines are widely available, but no one is going to brag about using that. Not to mention that your 'social taboo' is responsible for the huge network of organized criminal and illicit drug trade, I guess that is so much better :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No they aren't! Peoples attitudes towards legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco differ vastly from their attitudes towards heroin and methamphetamine. The vast majority of people would never use such drugs because they are illegal and socially taboo. This matters a great deal. Remove that and you'll see a spike in users.
Fear is the biggest reason people don't use drugs, not social stigma. But let's use your belief for a moment. Alcohol abuse, drunk driving, alcohol fueled violence, ect, are all socially frowned upon, yet alcohol is legal.

You logic fails, and your view of drug use is rather dated. Prescription drugs have exceeded illegal ones as the drug du jour, and there's almost no social taboo about them. People who use them are almost exclusively seen as addicts, not scum.

As for heroin, it's use as increased greatly over the last few years in the US. So it's not exactly difficult to get, nor is meth.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Um, yes you do. In any case, being legal doesn't mean acceptable, Valium and similar medicines are widely available, but no one is going to brag about using that. Not to mention that your 'social taboo' is responsible for the huge network of organized criminal and illicit drug trade, I guess that is so much better :rolleyes:
Alrighty then. Why don't you tell me when I claimed everyone would be addicted to heroin if it was made legal? It should be quite easy to point this out to me. Feel free to quote the post in which I made such a claim.

Valium is a prescription medication against anxiety. Why are you even bringing it up? It's not at all relevant to this discussion. Its effects are not similar to heroin, it's not the same class of drug as heroin and it's a prescription med.

Well, the percentage of heroin users is tiny compared to a legal, super-addictive and obviously unhealthy drug like nicotine/tobacco. Might this by any chance have something to do with the fact that heroin is illegal and socially taboo? Everyone is well aware that tobaccco is incredibly addictive and very bad for you, but its abuse is still very widespread. Why do you suppose heroin abuse would be so different if we made it legal? When you legalize a drug, you signal that it's okay to use it. Attitudes to heroin would change.

The prevalence of opium abuse in China used to be comparable to tobacco abuse in modern western countries. Think about what that implies. You should be able to figure out that this says something about the importance of social attitudes and availability. That's what makes the difference between a fringe activity and something that affects more than 1/4 of the population. Again, history makes it quite clear that social attitudes, availability and economics are determining factors. You cannot make heroin legally available and affordable to anyone and expect that the number of addicts will not increase significantly. It is wishful thinking.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Fear is the biggest reason people don't use drugs, not social stigma. But let's use your belief for a moment. Alcohol abuse, drunk driving, alcohol fueled violence, ect, are all socially frowned upon, yet alcohol is legal.
Yes, the negative consequences of alcohol are frowned upon, but guess what? Consumption of alcohol is not frowned upon. Consumption of alcohol is considered quite normal and almost everyone does it. With heroin, on the other hand, consumption itself is frowned upon. And all those negative consequences you listed are of course consequences of consumption. Consumption leads to negative consequences in X% of users.

Fear is important. It's why smoking is less prevalent than drinking. But smoking is still far more prevalent than heroin use. That is because heroin is illegal, taboo and associated with criminality.

You logic fails, and your view of drug use is rather dated. Prescription drugs have exceeded illegal ones as the drug du jour, and there's almost no social taboo about them. People who use them are almost exclusively seen as addicts, not scum.
That does not refute my logic in any way. :rolleyes:

As for heroin, it's use as increased greatly over the last few years in the US. So it's not exactly difficult to get, nor is meth.
It is still very fringe compared to what it could be and that is thanks to social and judicial barriers.

·
Premium Member
21,091 Posts
Well, the percentage of heroin users is tiny compared to a legal, super-addictive and obviously unhealthy drug like nicotine/tobacco. Might this by any chance have something to do with the fact that heroin is illegal and socially taboo? Everyone is well aware that tobaccco is incredibly addictive and very bad for you, but its abuse is still very widespread. Why do you suppose heroin abuse would be so different if we made it legal? When you legalize a drug, you signal that it's okay to use it. Attitudes to heroin would change.
Again you keep assuming and taking things for granted. :shrug: Not everyone is well aware how bad smoking is. There are loads of people who think nothing bad is going to happen to them if they smoke a bit. Not to mention that until very recently tobacco was heavily advertised in sports, in movies, on billboards, everywhere. It's only recently that people are becoming more aware of the risks and dangers, and that happened through education, not by making tobacco illegal.
Moreover, the illicit drug trade is worth more than the entire GDPs of many countries, and would make a top 20 world economy on its own. Might this, by any chance, have something to do with the fact that drugs are illegal? Your view is incredibly narrow minded :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
Didn't want to make a new thread. :p

KTVA reporter quits on-air after saying she owns Alaska Cannabis Club

Reporter Charlo Greene quit on-air during KTVA-TV's 10 p.m. newscast Sunday, revealing herself as the owner of the medical marijuana business Alaska Cannabis Club and telling viewers that she would be using all of her energy to fight for legalizing marijuana in Alaska.

Greene had reported on the Alaska Cannabis Club during Sunday night’s broadcast, without revealing her connection to it. At the end of the report, during a live shot, she announced that she was the club's owner and would be quitting.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140921/ktva-reporter-quits-air-reveals-herself-owner-alaska-cannabis-club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rYcSqIuqkz4

·
Registered
21,441 Posts

I'm in love, would wife.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Yes, I am fine with it. It is absurd that a soft drug like cannabis is illegal, and at the same time hard drugs like alcohol or tobacco are accepted.

·
Registered
15,784 Posts
failure to legalize weed is a disgrace of our times imo

legalise, tax and stop wasting police time.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Everyone knows the illegalization of pot is a racket at the highest level.
Might as well ask big oil to stop rigging the game and go away too.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts