• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Denver Post
As the sun rose at Red Rocks Amphitheater on Sunday, David Garcia — high on the holy spirit as well as just plain high — contemplated the unusual convergence of prayer and pot in Colorado this year.

"It's a beautiful sight," Garcia said. He said he was raised Christian and said he smoked marijuana before going to the annual sunrise service. "Man didn't create weed. God created weed."

Sunday was the first time in 11 years that Easter and the day marijuana enthusiasts call 4/20 fell on the same day. And perhaps the most whipsaw 14 hours in Red Rocks history — churchgoers singing "Amazing Grace" in the morning, Snoop Dogg singing "Smoke the Weed" in the evening — was a fitting peculiarity for a day when a green sheen spread across Denver like never before.
Crowd prepares 420 rally
The crowd prepares for the 4:20 p.m. light-up time at Denver's 4/20 rally in Civic Center, April 20, 2014. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)

Tens of thousands of people browsed, danced, hula-hooped and puffed at the annual 4/20 rally in Civic Center, putting up a collective smoke cloud at 4:20 p.m. that quickly dissipated in the breeze. Tens of thousands more packed into the High Times Cannabis Cup, a marijuana convention of sorts, at the Denver Mart north of downtown. Others attended one of dozens of marijuana-themed concerts, comedy shows, trade shows, product launches and other events spread throughout the city.

"People around the world are looking at Denver on this day that sense has come to drug policy," said Leftover Salmon band member Vince Herman, sitting in the basement of Denver Kush Club just before taking the stage at 4:20 p.m. "I feel really glad that we can have a role celebrating in the streets."

PHOTOS: View images from the 4/20 rally in Denver

On the whole, authorities reported no major problems.

By late afternoon, Denver police had issued 47 citations for public marijuana consumption at the downtown rally, as well as 16 other arrests or citations for other reasons. Denver Health Medical Center paramedics had treated 14 people, including three who were taken to detox. The hospital's emergency room had treated about a half-dozen people, most of whom had passed out through a combination of sun and substance use.
Attendees listen to the music as they wait for 4:20 during the 420 Rally at Civic Center Park in Denver, Colorado on April 20, 2014.
Attendees listen to the music as they wait for 4:20 during the 420 Rally at Civic Center Park in Denver, Colorado on April 20, 2014. (Seth McConnell, The Denver Post)

Brittany Gibbs caught one of the police citations Sunday when she lit up her chillum pipe on the outskirts of the rally just before police officers on bicycles rode by. They handed her a $150 ticket for public marijuana consumption.

"They said, 'Go into a crowd where we can't pick you out,' " Gibbs said.

The citations — only five were issued last year — were part of an effort this year by officers to remind festival-goers that, while marijuana use and possession is now legal for adults, smoking in public is not. And they came at perhaps the most professionally produced 4/20 the city has ever seen.
Lily Berryman lighting up
Lily Berryman lights up in Civic Center at Denver's 4/20 rally, April 20, 2014. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)

Gone was the come-as-you-like informality of past years. This year's rally had fences around Civic Center, designated entry points with pat-downs and bag checks, street closures, dozens of vendor booths — from hemp energy drinks to festival favorites like the turkey leg guy — and two stages for musical performances. After a shooting marred last year's rally, armed security guards this year walked through the crowd. At mid-afternoon, the air even smelled slightly less perfumed with pot than in years past.
People smoke pot as the clock strikes 4:20 during the 420 Rally at Civic Center Park in Denver, Colorado on April 20, 2014.
People smoke pot as the clock strikes 4:20 during the 420 Rally at Civic Center Park in Denver, Colorado on April 20, 2014. (Seth McConnell, The Denver Post)

Earlier Sunday, Jessica Holland hula-hooped with a friend to the side of the main music stage. Holland said she likely wouldn't smoke up at the rally — partly because of the police presence and partly because she needed to leave the rally early to spend Easter with her family."
It has been a year since recreational Marijuana was legalized in Colorado and Washington.

To sum up (At least the situation in CO).

-The heavily taxed Marijuana has brought in millions of dollars to Colorado.
-A lot of the money has gone to public schools, but it is in debate whether the money should be put to schools, because the state made THAT much.
-It is legal to smoke in private residents, but illegal to smoke in public (Colorado residents are fighting for a "Public Smoking Bill".
-2 people have "died" from Marijuana use.
-You can buy it just like alcohol, but only so much.

-Overall 22 states have Medicinal Marijuana and many are pushing towards recreation.

These raise some questions??? [Would love to hear from everyone too, Americans and Non-Americans! :)]

Do you support legalization of marijuana?
Do you support medicinal and recreational use? Or one or the other?
What is the situation like in your country?
Is there a certain way it should be handled or regulated?

and lastly... Do you enjoy it and or have tried it?

Your thoughts.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
All drugs should be legalized, from weed to crystal meth.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
I have never tried it, don't want to inhale any extra crap, the air is polluted enough as it is. I think all drugs should be available in pharmacies; if you can buy alcohol, no reason why other other drugs should be banned.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I have never tried it, don't want to inhale any extra crap, the air is polluted enough as it is. I think all drugs should be available in pharmacies; if you can buy alcohol, no reason why other other drugs should be banned.
that's why they call it medical marijuana mate :D

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than Chris, because Amsterdam.

How do they treat Marijuana in your respective countries/cities?

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
humans should be free creatures to do what they please as long as they are not negatively affecting others

marijuana is not extremely powerful drug and frankly far less dangerous then, say, alcohol. it should be legalized across the board everywhere, how is it a governments right to pick and choose what a person can do to themselves or what materials they can take

in the same vein would be thought that a government could prevent someone from jumping off a cliff and committing suicide, it is absurd some of the liberties being taken away and controlled by the system today

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Here it's illegal still. Bah, smoking the pot is illegal, but simple possession is non-punishable :rolleyes: There is some favourable jurisprudence in favour of legalization, but it should take a while still. On the other hand, getting all manner of drugs in the black market is easy as fuck here, specially when Police/State connivance is involved :rolleyes: (well, this is nothing new)

Oh, I don't do any drugs -at least the recreative kind- and I think they all should be legalized.

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How have 2 people died?
To my knowledge, there were no fatalities ever recorded.
According to sources there is two.

One is bull-shit. They said a woman had a heart attack while having Marijuana in her system. Weed doesn't cause heart attacks though.

Not to sure about the other one.
Apparently an exchange student ate an incredibly potent edible and jumped out a window. Edibles are very harsh and can be really hard on the mind and body. Shits not acid, but if you take enough it could make you do something stupid.

Really interesting that most you want to legalize it fully, even if you have never smoked it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
the law about marijuana in my country isn't very clear actually, you can consume but you can't buy,, sell,, cultivate... then how do you get it? no one knows

just legalise it imo, but harder drugs like crystal meth should not be allowed, at least not yet. it will bring a lot of problems, health systems and delinquency are not children's games

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Really interesting that most you want to legalize it fully, even if you have never smoked it.
well, I don't need personal experience to know whether I want to do something or not. Samewise on it's legal status, really. I don't want to, because: I prefer to remain in control of my cognitive process (not being aware of, well, me, scares me to death), I'm a bit sickly and don't get along well with smoke of any kind and finally I just don't find the idea interesting at all: don't find it useful for more creativity, or for having fun.

Now those were my personal reasons for not doing drugs... and that has nothing to do with it's legal status! I don't want to smoke, but others should be able to if they want. Besides, being illegal isn't stopping anyone from doing drugs, the law is hypocritical in many, many aspects (the cops are ALWAYS accomplices to the dealers. always. Besides, alcohol is legal, nuff said) already, it's a waste of the State's resources, ever streched thin; and legalization + taxing would be a great help, harming the black market and giving some nice $$$ to the State as well. That's from the top of my head, but I could be writing reasons for legalization/stopping that silly "War on Drugs" until the day Berdych beats Nadal again.

Hope this helps :)

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
So I shouldn't express my opinion on gay marriages cause I never married another man?

·
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, I don't need personal experience to know whether I want to do something or not. ]

but I could be writing reasons for legalization/stopping that silly "War on Drugs" until the day Berdych beats Nadal again.

Hope this helps :)
Amen :p

So I shouldn't express my opinion on gay marriages cause I never married another man?
Both you and Motorhead are right.

I just considered it a different kettle of fish than other stuff, considering it is a "drug"

Also another fun fact is that $40 million dollars will go to school construction, yet the revenue from taxes total for Colorado is estimated at $100 million!

Also a Harvad study has estimated that 17.4 billion dollars have been spent on drug prohibition across the U.S.

Honestly at this point I see a Domino Effect happening in the U.S., maybe even the South will join in at some point.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
If alcohol is legal and if getting pissed drunk on regular bases is legal too, then there's hardly a reason not to legalize weed. According to CDC there are "88,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the US". And what's more:

The leading causes of death in 2000 were tobacco (435 000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths), poor diet and physical inactivity (365 000 deaths; 15.2%) [corrected], and alcohol consumption (85 000 deaths; 3.5%). Other actual causes of death were microbial agents (75 000), toxic agents (55 000), motor vehicle crashes (43 000), incidents involving firearms (29 000), sexual behaviors (20 000), and illicit use of drugs (17 000).
Illicit drugs are far behind other causes, and that number would most likely be further reduced if people could buy clean and controlled drugs, like any other medication, instead of getting all kinds of shit off the street.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Weed is a cool drug, but don't smoke more or less a full joint when your smashed off your face on alcohol already, it is not a good feeling LOL. I won't remember those nights.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Too many people cannot possibly handle free access to opiates and stimulants. They need to be illegal and socially taboo to limit their cost to society and the number of lives they destroy.
Nonsense. By making it legal you can keep track of those people and help them, which you can't in prohibition. You can target the root of their drug abuse which lie mostly in social and economic problems.

- It would dramatically reduce crime, from local communities to entire countries being in the grip of drug cartels

- It would dramatically decrease drug related diseases

- Drugs are a social issue, not a criminal one. Just look at all the recreational drug users, you can't possibly call them criminals

- Legalization opens the road to government regulated education about drugs

- The tax revenue for governments would be off the charts

- Prohibition clearly doesn't work, the costs are greater than the benefits

1 - 20 of 81 Posts