Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of best friends absolutely doesn't get my love for tennis, I told him to free himself next weekened so that I can showcase why I love the game, I said that I will download the 3 greatest matches in history to make him change his mind, which ones should I choose....

...I'm toying with the 2003 Australian Open quarterfinal between Andy Roddick and Younes El Aynaoui to be one of them

(ps In return I promised to watch the 3 greatest basketball matches, so that he can convert me to a basketball nut)

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
One of best friends absolutely doesn't get my love for tennis, I told him to free himself next weekened so that I can showcase why I love the game, I said that I will download the 3 greatest matches in history to make him change his mind, which ones should I choose....

...I'm toying with the 2003 Australian Open quarterfinal between Andy Roddick and Younes El Aynaoui to be one of them

(ps In turn I promised to watch the 3 greatest basketball matches, so that he can convert me to a basketball nut)
in this case you need charismatic players in addition to a great match in order to sell him

El Aynaoui (and Roddick) is a must

Nadal-Fed at Wimbledon is a must because they are the IT players right now and a non-tennis fan who needs to be converted will only care about NOW, not past history

3. Maybe a Sampras-Agassi because he at least needs SOME history (before u know where you're going, u have to know where you've been) so either that epic Aussie Open five-setter or the no-breaks-of-serve U.S. Open match.

Agassi-Medvedev French Open is also a possibility if you think or know he is an Agassi fan.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in this case you need charismatic players in addition to a great match in order to sell him

El Aynaoui (and Roddick) is a must

Nadal-Fed at Wimbledon is a must because they are the IT players right now and a non-tennis fan who needs to be converted will only care about NOW, not past history

3. Maybe a Sampras-Agassi because he at least needs SOME history (before u know where you're going, u have to know where you've been) so either that epic Aussie Open five-setter or the no-breaks-of-serve U.S. Open match.

Agassi-Medvedev French Open is also a possibility if you think or know he is an Agassi fan.
He's American he knows Agassi and he thinks that kournikova rocks (...this give you a scope of what I'm dealing with here :lol:).But seriously I don't know how I'm gonna get through 3 basketball matches this weekened
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
1980 Wimbledon's final is definitely a must but it would be strange if there's still someone on earth who still has not watch it :lol:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
classics don't come to mind...I'm thinking that you show him something flashier with a bunch of winners. Roddick-Kohl might pique his interest

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
If it's going to be a struggle, consider a WTA match, with a couple of hotties. I'm not interested in women or their tennis. But when all else fails when I'm trying to explain the tennis love to female friends, I resort to physical attraction.

Sorry. I'm a bit dodgy sometimes.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
He's American he knows Agassi and he thinks that kournikova rocks (...this give you a scope of what I'm dealing with here :lol:).But seriously I don't know how I'm gonna get through 3 basketball matches this weekened
:rolleyes:
:help: :lol:

If it's going to be a struggle, consider a WTA match, with a couple of hotties. I'm not interested in women or their tennis. But when all else fails when I'm trying to explain the tennis love to female friends, I resort to physical attraction.

Sorry. I'm a bit dodgy sometimes.
In this case I'd say he might enjoy the latest AO women's final... :angel:

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
In this case I'd say he might enjoy the latest AO women's final... :angel:
Yeah, even I managed to put myself through the majority of that! :eek: [:drool: at Ana][:speakles: at Maria]. Yes I realise this has contradicted my previous statement :lol:

Reactions: Sunset of Age

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I def. think the A-rod/Kohli match will win him over ;)

and I have the Fed/Safin AO 2005
and I never get tired of watchin' it :angel:

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Is he going to sit down and watch a 4 hr match?

Find a good short match.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I'm also thinking it's not a good idea to go for a five set match.

I agree with choosing a match with lots of flashy winners.
Shanghai/TMS semifinal 2006, Roger - Rafa comes to mind in that case. Very high quality match, though only two sets. Perhaps the best two-set match of 2006, and between the top two players, too. :worship:

And now it's quite time for this Vampire to return to her coffin before the sun rises yet again... :angel:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
and to expand on what I said earlier, find a match with actual rallies and a good camera angle so he can see just how quick the ball travels as well as how hard the athletes work. A classic has no real meaning if he doesn't know how to count score and is unable to feel the pressure during break points, etc. 3 matches in a day is hard, man. Even I get put to sleep unless it's a repeat view that's filled with action. Show the match I said before or maybe a match in HD? (honestly, the wimbly 5 setter was a bore)

·
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA
9,981 Posts
(ps In return I promised to watch the 3 greatest basketball matches, so that he can convert me to a basketball nut)
We just call them games, FYI--I'll let your friend fill you in on the rest. :)

I'd stick to three-set tennis matches. You don't want to put him through the 5 hour epic Rome final just yet. Also, stick to more current matches (within last five years) if you want him to develop an appreciation for today's game.

How about that Santoro-Federer Match at the U.S. Open a couple of years ago? '06, I think. That was only three sets, but it was really entertaining.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Frankly, I don't think showing someone classic matches is going to do much. That's something an avid tennis fan likes, not a newbee. Much of the excitement of ALL sports is NOT knowing the outcome of a match and finding yourself cheering for a player.

I guess something else that might fascinate people is showing them the best of the best in terms of individual performances. Hence showing him a match with Federer in JesusFed mode could be an option as well (numerous to chose from), even if there'll be no excitement regards the outcome of the match.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts