Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confess I didn't hear his name until this year but it seems he's been giving good results in 2003 like Winner of RG junior, Winner of Wimby junior plus a couple of nice ATP wins.

Just wondering if anyone has seen him play and do you think he has a "Nadal" potential?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction Correction :eek:

He didn't win Wimby juniors (I don't think he even played it this year)

:banghead:

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Since nobody else cares, I looked it up ;)

He turned 18 in March. His futures results haven't been all that exciting, and his challenger results are pretty much non existent. I'm not positive what you mean by "Nadal like potential", but he most certainly isn't going to do what Nadal has been doing this year. Nadal won something like 20 straight futures matches (4 titles) at 16, then reached 5 challenger finals, and proceeded to start beating the likes of Costa, Moya etc - all in about 10 months. You can count the number of players with results like that so young in the past decade or two on one hand. You also need to consider that Stanislas has still been playing juniors primarily until now, has he not? Nadal hardly played any ITF junior events at all, and has been focussing on futures etc., since he was 16.

Anyhow, I have yet to see good old Stanislas, so it's hard to tell if he's going to be good or not. Just because he hasn't had great results at the futures/challengers level yet means squat. Has anybody here seen him play?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Rebecca :)

Yes, I presume the comparision to the Fetus doesn't do any justice here. However, I would be happy if one of the Swiss people **cough, Doris, cough** could tell us a bit more about him.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
evyatar said:
Thank you Rebecca :)

Yes, I presume the comparision to the Fetus doesn't do any justice here. However, I would be happy if one of the Swiss people **cough, Doris, cough** could tell us a bit more about him.
Doris will find her way here eventually ;) Roddick still did mainly juniors till he was 18 too, and he's turned out alright ;)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I heard you :p and here I am.

Well unfortunately I missed him at Gstaad. (He played on Monday and I was there on Thuesday and his doubles only was 3 games long and it was during Roger's match...... guess you know where my priorities were ;) ) Even though his match was on TV on Monday I missed most of it as I had to work... So I really only saw him play for a few games in the last set. Well he has a good serve and a good forehand (met a tennis coach of mine in Gstaad who saw his first set monday - saying that Stanislas was hitting winners left and right with his powerful forehand during the first set). Still has to work on the backhand and the volley. Maybe also on the stamenia. He had his chances in the third to break Lisnard but didn't take them - guess that's an other point he has to work on.

Yes he turned 18 this year. He lives in the french spoken part of Switzerland - his parents are originaly from germen resp. polish decent but grew up both in Switzerland (when I recall that right). He never played much juniors he actually entered RG for the first time - and won it. He didn't play Wimby - he got a WC for the challanger in Lugano where he lost in the second round. He did win a satalite in Barcelone in March this year. (How could you have missed that one Rebecca ;) :p )

Well that's about all for the moment. (Have to reread that smash article on him...)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As expected, Doris has the goods :angel:

Today he's supposed to play Volandri, an up and rising star himself. This should give a good idea as to his game right now.

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
Yes, got it in the mail this morning... :) Lovely pictures of Roger @ Wimby, also there's 2 pages just on Mirka.

Will read more tonight though, gotta prepare lunch as i'm playing at 3, then again tonight (if weather permits).

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Isn't Victor Hanescu older??
Agree with Florin Mergea who won wimbledon jun. and had a good run afterwards to.

Hmmm but who the heck is Horia Tecau - sorry but that name just doesn't ring a bell...

btw found that article from Smash when times allowes it I'll translate it.

·
Banned
3,273 Posts
Horia Tecau is Florin's doubles partner, they've won some big juniors titles.

He also had some decent singles results(SF at Wimbledon juniors this year), just not as great as Florin.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Victor is older.

Thanks again, Doris!:p

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
A tastplay
a masterplay!!

For his first participation at a Grand-Slam tournament for juniors the 18 year old Stanislas Wawrinka has been playing very strong and even won the title. In the final the Waadtländer overcame the american Brian Baker 7:5 4:6 6:3 and is now written down as the successor of Richard Gasquet in the palmares of the contest.

Yves Jaton

Throwing a look at the winners list of this juniortournament from Roland Garros, one immediately gets an idea about the performance of Stanislas Wawrinka in the 2003 edition of the tournament. The last winners at the juniors are having such names like the one of the chilen (sp??) Fernando Gonzales 1998 (against Juan Carlos Ferrero9, the argentine Guillermo Coria 1999 (against David nalbandian), the french Paul-Henri Mathieu 2000 (against Tommy Robredo), the spain Carlos Cuadrado 2001 (what happened to him??) and the french Richard Gasquet last year.
Gowing back a little further one finds even more famous names like Stefan Edberg (1983) Mats Wilander (1981), Henri Leconte (1980) Ivan Lendl (1978) John McEnroe (1977) John Newcombe (1961/62, Roy Emerson (1954) and Ken Rosewall (1952). The last and so far only win from a swiss goes back to the year 1976 when Heinz Günthardt beat the argentine José-Luis Clerc in the final.

Why change something?
To be the successor of such famous champions is of course no garantee, to have an equal career afterwards, but Stanislas Wawrinka can despite it be proud to have won such a well known tournament. And when it comes to his character, the player from Stade-Lausanne doesn't belong to the ones who lose their heads easily. "Changing something? Why changing something that's working fine?" he sais with a lot of clearsight and adds, that he'll continue to work hard to be able to reach the best possible level. But there might be changes anyways. A Title like the one in Roland Garros for a junior is beeing noticed. From the agents, the media, the tournamentdirectors, the tennisunion. Stanislas will get contractpropositions, giving interview, getting wildcards. One also has to talk with Swiss Tennis about the conditions of a cooperation, which actually happened a week after his parisian exploit.
On the court Stanislas shows a great autonomie concerning the tactic level. He for sure still makes Erors once in a while - but who's making none especially in his age? -, but his choice is mainly the right one. Off the court each player needs a certain care, to be able to advance. And also here the resident of Saint-Barthélemy (VD) has made a good choice.

Family and Friendship
The most beautiful story from Stanislas Wawrinka cann be reduced in this sence to two words: Family and friendship. When the young Waadtlander has come that far today, it for a big part thanks to the friendship who for a long time unites the families Wawrinka and Zavialoff. It was the two brothers Dimitri and Grégory Zavialoff - two french players - hwo made Stanislas discover tennis when he was eight years young. Today after they have put their own careers in brackets they are taking fully care of their protégé: the one as a coach the other as an agent. Of his physic condition the national and international known Pierre Pagaini - who under other also looks after Roger Federer - is taking care of. Even when the win in Paris from Stanislas may astonish, so it's still the logical reward of hard work. During two years the young Waadtländer went to spain to train and play; there where the opponents are though and where the tournaments are only held on clay - a surface which Stanislas prefers but is also the most tiring one. In Spain he learned to fight for each point - just like his model Juan Carlos Ferrero, who also won the 2003 tournament in Roland Garros, but on Center Court and on the maindraw. And as Stanislas sais, its this fighting spirit who made it possible for him, to realise the most beautifull success in his yet so young career.
Despite the win of a Grand-Slam-juniortournament Stanislas Wawrinka isn't going to change his earlier made plans and aims. He isn't playing in Wimbledon, and also his participation at the US Open is still uncertain. In the near future he's concentrating on Futures and Satellites even when some welcomed Wildcards for tournaments of a higer lever (maybe Gstaad) may change this programm from time to time.

Festivities
On the way back home from Paris Stanislas Wawrinka made first a stop at the grounds of the TC Stade-Lausanne, to celebrate his first Grand-Slam success. To the concratulators belonged his parents Wolfram and Isabelle, his brother Jonathan - who plays also tennis on a good level - his sisters Djanaée and Naêlla, the brothers Zavialoff and his freinds from the tennisclub and from school from whom some especially travelled to Paris for the final. For Stanislas Wawrinka the family and the friends are still the most important thing.

source: smash 7/2003

1 - 20 of 35 Posts