Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of course he could be a come from no where guy, but he was playing very well this whole tournament.

Th competition was tough and he showed a super high IQ.

He isnt a 6'3 giant with a blistering forehand, but he does have a very great tennis brain.

Thinking about the game , as if he was playing 4D chess.

What do you think about him as a player and his future?

·
Registered
201 Posts
He fought hard...that's more than you can say for a lot of others...

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
My initial reaction was : where is his last name ? Then , I saw a kid with balls of steel. And then saw a competitive beast. Finally , A little reckless but ultimately good for the tour to have that kind.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Fun game to watch. Unorthodox. . But dude aint ever gonna do anything. LOL. Theres only so many dropshops you can do until the opponent eventually adjusts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Echo others' thoughts above.

It's circus tennis, something akin to what clowns do in circus on the sidelines. Good for the laughs and entertainment until it loses its newness. But, he ain't gonna win jack shit with this, unless he develops some real weapons to go with it, and be smart to know when to use or cut this clownery.

Reactions: Claybot

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
The closest thing to Marcelo Rios we ever saw.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
He fought hard...that's more than you can say for a lot of others...
That could be a short sided tennis view. A lot fight hard, yeah, many are can run for balls. Few attack on ROS like that and play reckless like that

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
That's just insane how much he scrambles, much more even than the stereotypical claycourter at times.
Yeah I follow Illya so knew about Gaston before his matches here. He's extremely quick, very difficult to hit through (especially on slow clay) & he has possibly the best dropshot I have ever seen. Very unconventional.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have been following the results of Hugo over the last 2-3 years in Challenger and ITF tournaments. It is quite unreal what happened today. He did not have good results before RG but I guess that an "easy first round" against Maxime Janvier, another French WC, which he easily beat weeks ago in the Challenger of Aix-en-Provence, helped him to boost his confidence. In the second round, he beat for the first time at top100 player in his career, then against all expectations beat Wawrinka and today he almost beat the recent US Open Champion. After his win against Nishioka, I guess Hugo entered in a dream, in a kind of other dimension. His creativity and variety is very interesting, but I am now sure, he will confirm so fast. French media will be all over him now, and he will have to return to the challenger tour. Some people are mentioning Rios, but Rios'rhythm from the back of the court was far more impressive. Right now, I think he can have a career more like Fabrice Santoro.
I hope he will receive a WC for the Masters 1000 in Bercy in a couple of weeks. Almost a lock with his incredible run here.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I know he isn't exactly like Santoro but he's similar in his unpredictability and junk- balling. Santoro did have a respectable career. So I'm hopeful. He's only 20, so we'll see what happens.

He could also have success in doubles.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Watched almost entire match vs Wawrinka.

Agreed that his tennis IQ is out of this world. Wawrinka couldn't win a net point even if he arrived early at the net.
Also Gaston anticipated where Stan will place his shots and especially volleys. Even smash was not certain point for Wawrinka.

Gaston reminds me of Rafa during his early years. Running after every ball, retrieving most of them, capitalizing as soon as opponent returns short ball. But obviously without Rafa's power forehand and with lots of dropshots

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Very fun to watch. I have a hunch that he's the type of guy who will occasionally be able to pull off weeks like this on favorable surfaces but will have a lot of bad losses throughout his career.

·
Your visions will happen
51,343 Posts
Love the variety, the mental strength, the guts, the physical, he looked fine in the end physically too

Just needs a bit more meat and potatoes baseline botting as I said in the result thread, and you have a top 30 player for sure. From there he needs to improve the serve and then we see where is his top level. Can he win RG in the post Nadal era? Maybe. He is only 20 after all

1 - 20 of 48 Posts