Mens Tennis Forums banner

Your Favourite European Tournament ( Non Slam/ TMS)?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am bored and have tried to do something different.

I was wondering what your favourite non Slam-TC event in Europe? I will allow multiple choices for me my favourites are Båstad which unfortunately is held the same week as Gstaad, but it has a great location and a very relaxed atmosphere which the players really appreciate.

The others are Barcelona ( which I have never been to), but have had many fine matches and a great tradition and also Kitzbhuel is another personal favourite.

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
hi, George!

i've only been to Gstaad in the summer cuz it's only an hour's drive from Bern, but it's a great venue cuz the town's not so big, and it's really a very relaxing atmosphere with the beautiful mountains around...

i'd like to go to Umag some day...heard that one's good.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Queens/London usually gets a good tournaout of stars as the main build-up tournament to Wimbledon. Great excitment there because it's usually a good form guide for the Grass Slam.

Actually my favourite among the smaller events(outside Europe) is probably Tokyo because there's great history there & the Stadium is one of the coolest in the world ->> detractible roof for all conditions like AO.
Tokyo is the only permanent event in Asia where the big stars regularly show up(check out the history of winners almost looks like a Slam).

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would have to go for Rotterdam. Not just cuz it's in Holland, but also cuz it has a list of players that seems to get better every year. The atmosphere there is also great, the house is packed (at least 12000 people per day) from the first round untill the final. Also everything you would like to have facility-wise and open practice courts are there.

My second pick would be Queens. That's the only other tournament I've been to (besides the ones in Holland). I simply love grass court play. And like stated before, it's THE big preparation for Wimbledon.

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TBE, what is the Moscow tournament like? Are there many biznesmen there? I know Rosset loves the place and had an interesting incident in Red Square.

Vienna is another tournament I like, but I definitely prefer the outdoor events than the indoor ones.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
u mean suits ?? there's plenty there.
I'd say most of the people there are pretty well off.
havent been since 2000 though.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'd have to agree that Moscow is great.
I also like Basle, although last year I paid all that money for nothing.

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since when has it been smart business to buy final tickets? Then again most of the players I like never make the final.

Umag has a great setting right on the Adriatic. Moya and Muster love the place.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
My favourites are Halle and Basel :hearts:

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Best deals are the weekly tickets
I find that they are around 50-60% of the overall price for the whole event if you came every day.

so you get a good deal and its no probs then if u dont watch the final cos u dont like who's there.

·
Registered
18,865 Posts
Yeah I like Vienna, Basel, Rotterdam, Barcelona:)!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I suppose since I reside in france, Id have to say its Bercy, and the Open Gaz de France in Paris. wish there were more tournaments here though...

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul, you have the Metz indoor or Marseille.

Or take the TGV to Barcelona, if I was in France I could use the connections to my advantage.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Umag

·
16,844 Posts
G, what interesting incident did Rosset have at the Red Square?

·
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, this is the short version Rosset and a few of his friends from Geneva were walking around Red Square.

They bring out a football and a camera and then he and one of the guys decides to start juggling the ball outside the main area of Red Square. The guards see this and they got chased away, with one of the other guys in the car awaiting him.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Rotterdam, Barcelona and Queens

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
I love Basel because David always does well there :) and I have friends there too. I also like Kitzbuehel because it's such a picturesque setting and I think the tournament has such a friendly and intimate atmosphere.

·
16,844 Posts
Re: Re: Your Favourite European Tournament ( Non Slam/ TMS)

GeorgeWHitler said:
Ok, this is the short version Rosset and a few of his friends from Geneva were walking around Red Square.

They bring out a football and a camera and then he and one of the guys decides to start juggling the ball outside the main area of Red Square. The guards see this and they got chased away, with one of the other guys in the car awaiting him.
naughty Marc! at least they didn't get shot at or anything like that. :D

hmmm, i like Basel too, had really good seats there the last time, also if you get to watch the matches in the smaller court, it's great. But i don't like the lobby, methinks it's too crowded.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts