Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new user here.
Wondering if you had to pick a single win (a match that can be a final or a semi or whatever) what would it be?
As far as I am concerned I would pick the Australian Open final of 2017 for several reasons:
  • -Roger had 6 months off due to injury, it had never happened in the prime of his career and nobody believed he could win the Australian Open that year
  • -he had a very difficult path to the final (Nishikori in 5, Wawrinka in 5)
  • -he beat his kryptonite in the final in 5 sets at the age of 35 years old
    For me this win easily tops any other win he had in his career.... and he was 35 years of age! :) what a rare champion...
What is your opinion?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi folks, new user here.
Wondering if you had to pick a single win (a match that can be a final or a semi or whatever) what would it be?
As far as I am concerned I would pick the Australian Open final of 2017 for several reasons:
  • -Roger had 6 months off due to injury, it had never happened in the prime of his career and nobody believed he could win the Australian Open that year
  • -he had a very difficult path to the final (Nishikori in 5, Wawrinka in 5)
  • -he beat his kryptonite in the final in 5 sets at the age of 35 years old
    For me this win easily tops any other win he had in his career.... and he was 35 years of age! :) what a rare champion...
What is your opinion?
The only match that came to my mind. I've been following tennis since mid-2000s and always had a "root for underdog" mentality, so hardly ever pulled for Roger early on. But this one.. at this stage of his career.. was magical.

Not just outlasting his nemesis in the 5th, but doing it in some fashion - 5 games in row after going 1-3 down. IIRC I went right on my feet after Fed broke back and watched the remaining 3 games in my apartment without sitting back down. And it was ~9am after a 3am start from where I was. Sad but true.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
French Open 2009 without doubt.

Equalled Pete in the slam record, added the missing trophy to his cabinet, got his self belief back after that crushing loss to Rafa at AO 09.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Ruins forum.

·
Banned
295 Posts
As a long term - well since about 06 - Fed fan this topic feels like it has almost been served up to me on a plate!

I liked all the times he beat Hewitt in 04-5 (4 semis and Final) mainly because he was one of Fed's main 'rivals' (as such) at the time. And I couldn't stand Hewitt - as a player - in those seasons.

Plus the Wimbledon finals vs Nadal (06-7) because they are (were?) the big head to head rivals of the decade.
I also would include the 2017 Aust Final vs Nadal - but I feel the rivalry as such was only on again in a major final - due to the woefulness of the rest of the top players at that event :)
I still think Fed and Nadal (not incl.clay) are past it really but no one else young has been good enough to get past them and Novak when it really counts.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Of course 2017 AO Final was delightful, but circumstances and recency bias certainly have a part in that.

I'm not sure I can pic 1 win out of his career, just gonna try and name some less-obvious ones.

Federer - Murray WI12 (ok this one is kinda obvious, still a fantastic match)
Federer - Santoro US05
Federer - Blake US06

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Many many come to mind but really AO2017 was such a surprise... I mean, after 5 years of disappointments I was so shocked he won the QF vs Berdych that it was complete disbelief watching that 5th set in the final. My jaw was on the floor in some of those ridiculous points played in that 5 game run.

That match had me running around the house screaming, I don't remember that ever happening to me in sports.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
If I were a Federer fan it would have to be 2017 AO or 2007 WB.

After that, 2009 FO, 2012 WB,maybe 2004 USO because of how crucial it was for his dominance (final) and standing (QF, imagine if he had lost to Agassi... Wouldn't have boded well for him).

The most crucial for his career. Of course, if he had lost to Philippoussis, it leaves question marks. If he had lost to Baghdatis, it would have been bad (although his trajectory wouldn't have changed afterwards). But those weren't up in balance enough and his level wasn't punishing enough to make them must have's on the gratifying scale.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Definitely the 2017 Aus Open F.

No slams since 2012, half a year out of the game, his archrival across the net and a five-setter on top of that. Such an unexpected result, especially after his ordinary play in the first two rounds against Melzer and Rubin.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
In terms of level of play, I have always remembered the final of the Masters Cup (WTF finals) in Houston in 2003 when he beat André Agassi 6/3 6/0 6/4.
It was not the most important win of his career but his display that day was just magical. Obviously, there were many other moments where he brought magic, but even if had won his first Wimbledon a few months earlier, this match meant a lot by the way he just "destroyed" Agassi and affirmed himself as the new big boss of the tennis.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
RG 2009 - winning all 4 slams
Wimby 2009 - breaking Pete's record
AO17- winning Australia after a 6 months out plus vs rafa plus a few years slamless
Wimby17- again breaking Pete's record
AO18- round and pretty number 20 slams os just beautiful

The rest is a bonus

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
RG 2009 - winning all 4 slams
Wimby 2009 - breaking Pete's record
AO17- winning Australia after a 6 months out plus vs rafa plus a few years slamless
Wimby17- again breaking Pete's record
AO18- round and pretty number 20 slams os just beautiful

The rest is a bonus
Lol what?

2017 WB and 2018 AO is what is bonus.

Especially 2018 AO.

The rest BUILT his legacy.

·
justice for all
13,109 Posts
Probably AO 2017 - a bit for recency bias but the whole road to the title was very dramatic and it's very important legacy-wise.

Honorable mentions: WM 2003, RG 2009, WM 2007

·
Registered
36,855 Posts

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
In ur eyes not mine
How can the rest be bonus if it was career building?

You literally mentioned 20 making it sweet.

There is no "20" without the others.

The others have merit on their own.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts