Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would say around 2013 is when Federer started to really decline, in comparison to years past.

He has had his ups and downs since then... to be fair he has been "Olderer" for a while, but every once in a blue moon we have seen glimpses of a 24 year old Federer dancing around in a 33 yr old plus body. 2013- to present.

Before Djokovic fans come running into this thread. We can just list Wimbledon 2019 as your pick.

I think most other Fed fans might have some other matches in mind though.

Post youtube link if you can of one of your favorite "Vintage" Federer matches. Meaning he was using all - court prowess , did not choke on break points and was a joy to watch.

Here is one of my picks. Djokovic was actually playing superb in this match and it was a very enjoyable and memorable encounter.

Edit : Basically a Djokovic highlight reel for most of the match. but still memorable for me. Federer withheld against a peaking Baseline Djokovic.

·
Premium Member
11,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
the match when i realised he wasnt finished after his long time off:

Federer vs Berdych AO 2017

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hard to pick as there are many but pretty much anytime he made his opponent feel helpless like no matter what they did, Federer swatted it away like a fly, particularly against Dull and Faker.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
the match when i realised he wasnt finished after his long time off:

Federer vs Berdych AO 2017
I had also thought about this match because we were going to find out where Federer really was.

But I found AO 2017 to be a bit too "predictable" as a pick.

AO 2017 could be a unique shot, beautiful but unique.

A little confirmed by Dubai and Donskoy.

But IW quickly confirmed AO, then Miami of course which was already a bonus.

·
Premium Member
11,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to pick as there are many but pretty much anytime he made his opponent feel helpless like no matter what they did, Federer swatted it away like a fly, particularly against Dull and Faker.
Doesn't fit my criteria but

·
Registered
27,279 Posts

Yw

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of my favourites post 2013 have been covered above. I did enjoy the run that Roger had from Cincy'15 till the US Open'15 final. The SABR made things fun, and he was looking invincible until the final (no sets lost)

·
Premium Member
8,487 Posts
Basel F 2017 against Del Porto. From what I remember of that match, Federer had one of his best displays from the forehand since he switched racquets.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Prob vs Murray Wimbledon SF '15

Also liked Paris 18 SF vs Djokovic

Of course AO17F, which so far has decided the GOAT debate
Agreed, his semi victory against Murray at Wimby'15 was a joy to watch. One of his best performances.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
My favorite Federer moments post 2013 are whenever he taught some lessons to the new "kids" about proper fast attacking tennis skills to which they didn't have answers to in their one-dimentional game.

In all these years there have been moments of brillance in which only Djokovic was only able stop. So that's not bad for an old man. Whenever phisically peaking for the moment he's game was just too much for 99% of the tour including Rafa. It is only about 1 year and half (edit: before the stop and surgery) that he's been getting old and vulnerable to the likes of Thiem or a peaking NGer.

I loved him bullying poor pretender kids .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts