Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to divy up the play styles to the best of my ability.

And look before you start highlighting players , I listed , this is the best I could do. The point of this thread is to rank your favorite playstyles from best to worst and not critique the examples 馃槀

All- court - Utilizes all parts of the court. Think Federer, Kohlscrheiber, Haas , Tsistipas
Offensive Ball Striker- Forehand / backhand baseline winners . Wawrinka , Thiem , Berdych ,Sinner , Cilic
S+V/ Chip and Charge- Finds any excuse to come to net - Fel Lopez, Mischa Zverev ,
Offensive baseliner- Prefers longer rallies , will attack the right ball. Djokovic , Nadal, Nishikori , Goffin , Bautista Agut
Grinder/Defensive Baseliner- Is ok with running down balls and getting it in play , Simon , Robredo , Ferrer,
Severbot- Ace after ace, maybe has a good forehand. Isner , Karlovic , Raonic,
Highlight Reel Player- Hits the shot the crowd gets on their feet for, even if they lose 1-6 , 3-6 . Kyrgios , Monflis , Dimitrov

Here is my ranking

1) All- court
2) Offensive Ball striker
3) Offensive baseliner
4) Defensive Baseliner
5)S+V

6) Servebot

7) Highlight reel player -yeah sorry can't deal with the lazy talented people.

Reactions: guitarra

Registered
1. Offensive ball striker
2. Offensive baseliner
3. All court
4. Defensive baseliner
5. S and V

Tied last: Servebot and highlight reel.

Registered
Nishikori and Goffin do not prefer longer rallies, they too are shotmakers.

Registered
offensive baseliner are guys like sasha zverev, berdych, and so on, not nadal or djokovic and defenitely not bautista agut.
any top 100 player, even a defensive baseliner knows how and when to attack, otherwise he wouldn't be a top 100 player, doesn't mean he's an offensive baseliner.

Registered
Novak is an aggressive baseliner who plays a perfect blend of offense and defense. I see Federer as mostly a servebot.

Registered
Novak is an aggressive baseliner who plays a perfect blend of offense and defense. I see Federer as mostly a servebot.
Federer possessed the GOAT forehand in his prime and also toppled Nadal with his neo backhand at AO 2017. If a servebot can do that I wonder why Isner and Karlovic haven't won any slams yet.

Registered
I said "mostly" a servebot. He obviously is not just a servebot. His serve is the main reason for his success, though.

justice for all
I said "mostly" a servebot. He obviously is not just a servebot. His serve is the main reason for his success, though.
In some of their recent encounters Djokovic was a bigger servebot than Federer. But Djokovic isn鈥檛 just a servebot, he is predominantly a defensive/ pushing baseliner.

Registered
Apples to oranges all over again. Everyone has their own definition and classification of playstyles.

Registered
Yeah, but good effort nevertheless. I鈥檇 take it 24/7 over all those countless Djoko gloating threads.
The second best thread after MTF Draw Games... Which says it all...

justice for all
The second best thread after MTF Draw Games... Which says it all...
I want to believe the poor quality of threads is justified by lack of play but not sure if that's the reason...

Registered
I want to believe the poor quality of threads is justified by lack of play but not sure if that's the reason...
At least partially it must be. Things should get somewhat better when tennis resumes. Though how many sane posters survive until then remains to be seen.

Reactions: paca and guitarra

justice for all
I honestly prefer the diversity. Tennis is most interesting when two different styles meet.
The problem is homogenization of surfaces does not help variety. S&V and all-court styles are dying out. Servebots are mainly players who are very tall and poor technically. The tour is dominated by more or less offensive baseliners.

Discussion Starter #19
1. Offensive ball striker
2. Offensive baseliner
3. All court
4. Defensive baseliner
5. S and V

Tied last: Servebot and highlight reel.
I tried to keep a format and only one person followed it. MTF always critiques anything ...

The point was not to correct the classification, but give your ranking of playstyles. I don't care if it's apples to oranges , but give your own ranking and classifications if you wish.

Registered
The problem is homogenization of surfaces does not help variety. S&V and all-court styles are dying out. Servebots are mainly players who are very tall and poor technically. The tour is dominated by more or less offensive baseliners.
I believe S&V died due to strings and rackets which automatically "created" players with better, more solid groundstrokes. The slowing down of surfaces in the early 2000's only accelerated the inevitable.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts