Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each Grand Slam tournament has its stories and charm. Which one was your favorite in 2005? Not just the final, or one particular match, but the whole 2-week extravaganza!

• Australian Open: Safin comes back, conquers Federer, Demons
  • French Open: Nadal Takes Title and Tennis World by Storm
  • Wimbledon: Federer Three-peats
  • U.S. Open: Agassi, Blake, et. al Come Back, But Fed Reigns Again
I am torn because, my man Marat triumphed in Australia - beating Federer on the way. But, for its wealth of comeback stories and all around good feelings (and weather), I have to vote for the 2005 U.S. Open.

·
Registered
985 Posts
first its tie with safins win in ausyland---------------then i roland garros where nadal beat federer

then of course how could you beat the great run of blake and agassi during teh USO.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
In terms of the story, US Open, because of Agassi's effort at 35 to reach the final, and Blake's first major breakthrough at a Slam after his injuries. AO also comes close because of Safin finally winning his 2nd.
In terms of excitement and quality of matches, AO has to win.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
This was a fantastic USO. Great weather (go drought!) :rain: and so many thrilling five-setters.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Wimbledon! :D

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
The USO- upsets, thrilling and long matches even if the ending was a bit anticlimatic for me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
French Open and Aussie Open

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
The USO died for me after Friday. It was good stuff up until then, though ;)

I vote for RG,and you all know why.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
I vote for US open and, second, Aussie Open.
The worst, by far, was Wimbledon. Extremely predictable and boring.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
The AO and USO undoubtedly had the best matches. The AO was the only Slam where the eventual winner had great matches as well, which is fairly important for the game - but I still preferred a few of the five-setters in New York, especially Sanguinetti-Srichaphan and Ginepri-Gasquet, so that one gets my vote.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
The Australian Open, no question. The end result wasn't what I wanted, but the matches were absolutely fantastic. Safin-Federer, Hewitt-Roddick, Hewitt-Nalbandian, Hewitt-Nadal, Nadal-Youzhny, Blake-Hewitt - just a ton of really entertaining matches.

The US Open was probably second - again lots of high quality, including, of course, Blake-Agassi, and Sanguinetti-Srichaphan.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The Australian Open, no question. The end result wasn't what I wanted, but the matches were absolutely fantastic. Safin-Federer, Hewitt-Roddick, Hewitt-Nalbandian, Hewitt-Nadal, Nadal-Youzhny, Blake-Hewitt - just a ton of really entertaining matches.
I agree. The Aussie Open was chock full of great matches. The only bad thing about the Aussie Open was that sometimes I didn't have the patience to watch on Tivo and would watch live if I was home so I was a wreck at work for two weeks.

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
I thought Wimby and the USO tied, Wimby as it had Andy's breakthrough plus the likes of Gonzalez did well, and there were a few surprises aside from Fed winning.

The USO too, Andre doing his stuff, and Blake and Ginepri fulfilling their talents.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The US Open was the greatest slam this year with:

Blake-Nadal
Agassi-Blake
Federer-Agassi

Agassi-Blake was one of the greatest matches that I have seen in many years and I think that this was the greatest match of the slam. Agassi has had one of the best years of his career.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts