Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,404 Posts
2020: Damn kids always on their phones!
1990: Damn kids always playing video games!
1950: Damn kids always looking at comics!
1920: Damn kids always reading novels!
don't forget rock and rock and metal :p

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
2020: Damn kids always on their phones!
1990: Damn kids always playing video games!
1950: Damn kids always looking at comics!
1920: Damn kids always reading novels!
the hell, I was born in 1992 and in my youth, %80 of my days were spent in streets, my parents were sending people to call me back. I was actually living, breathing and seeing (real things)

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
come on, do not tell me/us that you are 20 yo or younger? I took you as between 22-24. Still young of course (so am I, being 27 yo, I guess) but still not a member of WOAT generation of youngesters.
Sorry the irony didn't come through. I'd better stick to being a one-dimensional nicebot...I'm still in my 20s but not as young as 24.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
the hell, I was born in 1992 and in my youth, %80 of my days were spent in streets, my parents were sending people to call me back. I was actually living, breathing and seeing (real things)
Yes, same here. But the early 90s were filled with people complaining about how many hours kids spend playing video games. It's a cycle as old as technology itself.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,111 Posts
Yes, same here. But the early 90s were filled with people complaining about how many hours kids spend playing video games. It's a cycle as old as technology itself.
The difference is, when we were out, we were out for real.

People nowadays are trading the real thing for a proxy on a small screen.

There are several factors for this, of which I'll just mention a few: the increase of cars per capita have taken up considerable space on the streets, so less kids have the opportunity to just go out and play, they have to go to a space that was pre-built for a given purpose, like sports facilities which does not have the feature of exploring the "wilds". Many parents put their kids on an overcrowded schedule, they don't have leisure time and freedom, which is key to developing creativity.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
They are supposedly very "trendy" i.e. they really follow trends.
A lot of the time, their social media experiences is simply a way to look like they are getting a lot out of their lives by being a visible presence. Seen and heard. But that's not something that is restricted to Gen Z, it's just a behaviour that has been enabled.
Yeah in all the Instagram stories they were posting they all were smiling and laughing and caught the moment of "Cheers!" And "Wow that is so cool, look at us laughing and being on a train".

Also they were taking a video of the conductor person talking with them without the person's permission... I would never record a random conversation with a waiter , zooming in on their face and such..

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Difference is that I remember playing video games and then we would go down to the creek and attempted to float down the river on a piece of wood. And ended up falling in the river , but kept trying. Also I remember organizing a medieval battle where we made medieval weapons out of boxes sticks and duck tape. The school ended up stopping it because one kid built a sharpened rapier stick and slashed a kids knee. My carefully crafted war hammer was also taken a way haha.

Now there is an app for that has micro transactions to do all the things above and you need to buy the 5.99 diamond pack to make the experience even more interesting

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Exactly. I remember faking being sick not to go to school .. to read books, that I had no time reading otherwise. Spent a lot of time on the streets, playing soccer for hours.
The problem, especially with American kids, is that they grow up not thinking, not learning life, not facing problems, not being responsible for anything. Then they graduate from high school big infantile babies, stuck to their smartphones, immature and with mentality of 14yo at age of 18. And there in unis they have to compete with tens of thousands of 18yo kids from India, China, Russia, who grew up in real life and know what it takes to succeed and are willing and comparing to whom American kids are kindergarten. And Americans lose that competition before it even starts.
In 70s-80s-90s we had Gates, Jobs, Ellison, Bezos, all Americans. Read "Dealers of Lightnings" about Dawn of Silicon Valley. It's all Americans who were doing that. Now the hottest startups in US are run by foreigners the 250K after-university jobs in AI are filled with Indians, Chinese, Russians. Americans should be majority at those jobs,and they are not even minority, they are simply nowhere.

·
Registered
32,115 Posts
Exactly. I remember faking being sick not to go to school .. to read books, that I had no time reading otherwise. Spent a lot of time on the streets, playing soccer for hours.
The problem, especially with American kids, is that they grow up not thinking, not learning life, not facing problems, not being responsible for anything. Then they graduate from high school big infantile babies, stuck to their smartphones, immature and with mentality of 14yo at age of 18. And there in unis they have to compete with tens of thousands of 18yo kids from India, China, Russia, who grew up in real life and know what it takes to succeed and are willing and comparing to whom American kids are kindergarten. And Americans lose that competition before it even starts.
In 70s-80s-90s we had Gates, Jobs, Ellison, Bezos, all Americans. Read "Dealers of Lightnings" about Dawn of Silicon Valley. It's all Americans who were doing that. Now the hottest startups in US are run by foreigners the 250K after-university jobs in AI are filled with Indians, Chinese, Russians. Americans should be majority at those jobs,and they are not even minority, they are simply nowhere.
Interesting. But it is not exactly the technology or the society's fault, mostly it's the parent's fault. Yes, trends do shape our lives a lot but the fundamentals still come from the upbringing. The truth is, figuratively speaking, that even most adults don't really know what they are doing in life. How are they supposed to teach their children then?
There are people who break that barrier and come to self realization when they grow up despite not having the upbringing they should've had but obviously those people are pretty rare and you can't expect the majority evolving that way.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Interesting. But it is not exactly the technology or the society's fault, mostly it's the parent's fault. Yes, trends do shape our lives a lot but the fundamentals still come from the upbringing. The truth is, figuratively speaking, that even most adults don't really know what they are doing in life. How are they supposed to teach their children then?
There are people who break that barrier and come to self realization when they grow up despite not having the upbringing they should've had but obviously those people are pretty rare and you can't expect the majority evolving that way.
I kind of disagree with "parents fault".
Parents are part of the picture, no question about it. Parents and schools. But both are too much defined these days by social trends or social pressures. Most of successful generations had been built around traditional stick and carrot approach in upbringing.
Liberalization trends pretty much take the stick out of equation.
Traditional system of balance between rights and duties of a person is more amd more tilted towards rights.
If you look at those few American born kids that are still succeeding, you'll see a disproportionate presence of kids from Indian and Chinese immigrant families and Jewish. Those categories where builtin family traditionalism and conservatism is at least somewhat capable of neutralizing social poison of liberalism.
The rest of the parents are simply not capable of withstanding the social pressures and go with the flow. You can't really blame them for that. It's statistically inevitable that most of them wouls succumb to social pressures.
What significantly exacerbated the situation is that America - in last 25-30 years - more or less drifted into acceptance of not really needing its own children for success. America is the only country that is capable of buying all the talent it needs overseas. So why bother with fighting a very pollitically difficult social cause.

There are two traditional approaches in upbringing in term of objective.
Kids having a happy childhood. And kids having a happy, successful life. Those objectives are, more or less, mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
21,077 Posts
Unfortunately I’ve become a phone addict myself and I’m not really comfortable socially so I use my phone in public faces as a way to not feel awkward when I’m around people because I can’t talk endlessly and there is this awkward silence that makes me feel uncomfortable and then use my phone as a result.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Unfortunately I’ve become a phone addict myself and I’m not really comfortable socially so I use my phone in public faces as a way to not feel awkward when I’m around people because I can’t talk endlessly and there is this awkward silence that makes me feel uncomfortable and then use my phone as a result.
Which will only exacerbate your awkwardness and social discomfort.

·
Registered
32,115 Posts
I kind of disagree with "parents fault".
Parents are part of the picture, no question about it. Parents and schools. But both are too much defined these days by social trends or social pressures. Most of successful generations had been built around traditional stick and carrot approach in upbringing.
Liberalization trends pretty much take the stick out of equation.
Traditional system of balance between rights and duties of a person is more amd more tilted towards rights.
If you look at those few American born kids that are still succeeding, you'll see a disproportionate presence of kids from Indian and Chinese immigrant families and Jewish. Those categories where builtin family traditionalism and conservatism is at least somewhat capable of neutralizing social poison of liberalism.
The rest of the parents are simply not capable of withstanding the social pressures and go with the flow. You can't really blame them for that. It's statistically inevitable that most of them wouls succumb to social pressures.
What significantly exacerbated the situation is that America - in last 25-30 years - more or less drifted into acceptance of not really needing its own children for success. America is the only country that is capable of buying all the talent it needs overseas. So why bother with fighting a very pollitically difficult social cause.

There are two traditional approaches in upbringing in term of objective.
Kids having a happy childhood. And kids having a happy, successful life. Those objectives are, more or less, mutually exclusive.
Yes, we pretty much agree, especially that last sentence of yours brings up an important point. I'd say that's true in most cases although there will always be exceptions. The bad thing is that they still begin their adult life in disadvantage because of it. Doesn't mean they can't achieve the life we're talking about but there will be more obstacles.
Whether or not we can "blame" the parents is simply a matter of perspective. They definitely are responsible for it the most. Can you blame someone for not being competent or succumbing to the pressures? Debatable, but one thing that you cannot take away is the responsibility.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
Yes, trends do shape our lives a lot but the fundamentals still come from the upbringing. The truth is, figuratively speaking, that even most adults don't really know what they are doing in life.
Very demeaning opinion about the middle/upper classes of the more economically developed countries.
The fortunate thing is that we will have a crisis situation in the near future (within next 2-3 years) to test it...

·
Registered
32,115 Posts
Very demeaning opinion about the middle/upper classes of the more economically developed countries.
The fortunate thing is that we will have a crisis situation in the near future (within next 2-3 years) to test it...
I certainly don't view it as demeaning nor was that the intention and to be fair that sentence was not said strictly from a financial point of view, there are quite a few other important areas which make life as a whole.
But if you wish, most of the people you mentioned, the middle classes of the more developed countries still have what they have mostly by chance so to speak, meaning they were born where they were to whom they were and more or less have been given a projected path. That, in a freer interpretation and a bit of a philosofical stance doesn't mean they actually "know what they're doing". That's what you essentially call "creatures of circumstance", which we all are but not to the same level of degree.
Those same people would likely be poor and without much prosperity had they been born and raised in such type of an environment. Not sure you can say that about those people who are trying to exceeded the projected expectations of their background.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts