Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gen Z is the next evolution of human kind. I was on a train ride and Gen Z was documenting the whole experience on their Instagram. But they weren't experiencing anything around them? It was super bizarre and weird and made me feel old.

Had a great conversation with the Chilean guy and Couple across from us and gen z spent an hour and a half on their phone only. Look I'm no Technology Eunch, but I can easily have a conversation and enjoy and absorb my surroundings...

What is your experience with Gen Z?

·
The special one
13,882 Posts
Not completely sure what this is, presumably you're meaning this about vloggers and whatnot. In that case I think I get what you mean.

Just as an example last year I was at a Liverpool/Napoli preseason match and I remember during the actual match seeing people around me and in the row in front of me videoing themselves for the entire match for their YouTube or Instagram or whatever it was. These days when I go out on a day/night out withe family or friends I tend to just leave my phone in the house.

I Was born in 86 so I guess I'm part of a generation where I'm still young but also remember what it was like before Internet and social media completely took over people's life. During My childhood and most of my teenage years I had no Internet or phone and I can tell you it was 100x better because of it. Got my first phone around 18 or 19 but even then there was no such thing as having Internet on your phone.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Nobody harmed humanity in last 25 years more than late Steve Jobs.
Basically, he destroyed the modern youth by selling them pure hype and making that hype a substitute for real life experience. At 18 they are as mature as our generation was at 14. And they are not interested.

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
Gen Z is the next evolution of human kind. I was on a train ride and Gen Z was documenting the whole experience on their Instagram. But they weren't experiencing anything around them? It was super bizarre and weird and made me feel old.

Had a great conversation with the Chilean guy and Couple across from us and gen z spent an hour and a half on their phone only. Look I'm no Technology Eunch, but I can easily have a conversation and enjoy and absorb my surroundings...

What is your experience with Gen Z?
I do not understand why they take pictures of everything. Does anyone ever look at them? For example, what is the point of taking pictures at a tennis match. Is actually watching it live too boring?
I also noticed that, for example, when the New Year fireworks display started, everyone held up their phones to record. Nobody actually looked at the fireworks, just at their screens. It was like a 2x4 inch screen was reality. The naked eye was not acceptable any more. Too primitive.
As with pics, who would want to watch a rerun of fireworks on a tiny screen? Unless their poorly functioning brains reason that they missed the live show because they were recording it.

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
Nobody harmed humanity in last 25 years more than late Steve Jobs.
Basically, he destroyed the modern youth by selling them pure hype and making that hype a substitute for real life experience. At 18 they are as mature as our generation was at 14. And they are not interested.
No, they destroyed themselves. And along with that goes never taking responsibility and always blaming others.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
Typical millennial going online to complain about people being online too much

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've had the misfortune of having to interact with some of them and my main observation is that they do not know how to do that, interact with people without a screen in between. Also between them, they don't know how to talk to each other or project the right body language. They only communicate properly with a screen.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
You all make me feel young. How did I end up on this old men forum?
I'm old enough to understand and agree with what OP said but I also understand why they spend so much time on social media. Mostly peer pressure and the need for recognition which we all went through in some teenage stage of our lives. I doubt any of them would re-visit the clips they took honestly. However, even adults do that quite a lot. I have seen many people who go to a tennis match just to post on Instagram. Speaking of which I remember a woman sitting next to me at Nadal vs Del Potro at a Wimbledon QF match and all she did was looking at her phone screen (ok maybe I'll give her a pass since it was the UK world cup match). But it's a shame that they do not experience half of the joy we felt in childhood when we had tons of fun without internet. Even for myself I've always felt I am spending too much time on my phone. I hardly remember the last time I picked up a proper book to read. Instant gratification gets to everyone.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I'm old enough to understand and agree with what OP said but I also understand why they spend so much time on social media. Mostly peer pressure and the need for recognition which we all went through in some teenage stage of our lives. I doubt any of them would re-visit the clips they took honestly. Even adults do that quite a lot actually. I have seen many people who go to a tennis match just to post on Instagram. Speaking of which I remember a woman sitting next to me at Nadal vs Del Potro at a Wimbledon QF match and all she did was looking at her phone screen (ok maybe I'll give her a pass since it was the UK world cup match). But it's a shame that they do not experience half of the joy we felt in childhood when we had tons of fun without internet. Even for myself I've always felt I am spending too much time on my phone. I hardly remember the last time I picked up a proper book to read. Instant gratification gets to everyone.
come on, do not tell me/us that you are 20 yo or younger? I took you as between 22-24. Still young of course (so am I, being 27 yo, I guess) but still not a member of WOAT generation of youngesters.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
They also use YT a lot, once I typed yt and tried to listen a song while a neighbour kid was next to me (in between our basketball match), he was like, 'NZAM you are not subscribed to any channel at all!' I said yeah, I just listen to music here. Then he logged in to his account, turns out he was subscribed to 30 something channels and spends at least two hours on YT, daily basis. Videogames, vlogging and whatnot. 12-16 yos especially gone berserk about YT.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Typical millennial going online to complain about people being online too much
Ok Boomer. I'm surprised you can even make an endless loop.

Look millenials arent perfect but at the same time many of us experienced a life and time without screens. For example in America, I see many well off parents throw their four year old an iPad to keep them entertained.

I sound crotchety, but it's just weird to see.

Also @clearwatersI would ha e gladly taken that women's spot. Watching peaking Del Potro and Nadal in an epic? That's the pinnacle of human existence!

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
I'm old enough to understand and agree with what OP said but I also understand why they spend so much time on social media. Mostly peer pressure and the need for recognition which we all went through in some teenage stage of our lives. I doubt any of them would re-visit the clips they took honestly. However, even adults do that quite a lot. I have seen many people who go to a tennis match just to post on Instagram. Speaking of which I remember a woman sitting next to me at Nadal vs Del Potro at a Wimbledon QF match and all she did was looking at her phone screen (ok maybe I'll give her a pass since it was the UK world cup match). But it's a shame that they do not experience half of the joy we felt in childhood when we had tons of fun without internet. Even for myself I've always felt I am spending too much time on my phone. I hardly remember the last time I picked up a proper book to read. Instant gratification gets to everyone.
What is a UK World Cup match?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,404 Posts
They are supposedly very "trendy" i.e. they really follow trends.
A lot of the time, their social media experiences is simply a way to look like they are getting a lot out of their lives by being a visible presence. Seen and heard. But that's not something that is restricted to Gen Z, it's just a behaviour that has been enabled.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts