Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can murray make some major noise in 2012? i think he made some gains in his game and his confidence this year and its not over yet. there is a good chance he will snatch one of the masters events before this year is over.

what are your own expectations for murray in 2012?

lay it all on the table for discussion.

·
Registered
29,207 Posts
CYGS :shrug:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
:rubbing hands: murray is always good topic in times like these...

I think he will have a better slam season than was this, thats a hunch, based on the impression he has some room to improve.

will he win a slam though, that will depend in huge measure on djoko, rafa, fed and delpo (maybe tsonga) because those guys, when on, appear its mostly up to them when they play murray.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
To continue being the sexiest player in the top 10.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think murray made some strides in 2011. you just know he is hungry as hell for some glory of his own.

he has been learning from the best of the best by going up against the likes of fed, clay warrior, and nole. his time may be near.

all he needs is a little break and little bit of luck and next thing you know he is in a slam final.

can he be a factor at the australian open?

·
29,637 Posts
:rubbing hands: murray is always good topic in times like these...

I think he will have a better slam season than was this, thats a hunch, based on the impression he has some room to improve.

will he win a slam though, that will depend in huge measure on djoko, rafa, fed and delpo (maybe tsonga) because those guys, when on, appear its mostly up to them when they play murray.
Nadal beat Murray at the USO with his usual solid style- make his opponent miss.

Maybe Tsonga? Tsonga's matches against all those players are up to him!

Also Del Potro is Murray's pigeon.

Fed and Djoker though I agree on. Djoker's the dictator in the Murray clashes, but it doesn't stop Andy having a few things in his arsenal that give Novak trouble.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
murray vs nole confrontations are going to be quite interesting in 2012. you can make book on that.

murray is a learning fast.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Murray still has the problem that, his best tennis is not better than Djokovic or Nadal or Federer (still) when they are playing their best tennis. I don't actually see that changing in 2012.

He just has to hope that he either catches the 2 of these 3 guys he faces at less than their best, he is able to bring their level down (make them play worse; Brad Gilbert style of winning), or he gets lucky and someone takes out one of these guys for him and he only has to face one of the top 3 to win a slam (and of course he gets lucky when facing them).

To win your first slam, you either need a little luck, or you simply need to be "in the zone" (Delpo USO 2009). Murray's not really an "in the zone" kind of guy, so hopefully he gets a little lucky with how the draw plays out and catches joker/nadal/fed on a day when they are not at 100% in the finals.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
affirmative. you know everybody needs a little break to snatch slams. its just not that easy.

nole got a little break when fed failed to close the deal leading 5-3, 40-15 at the u.s. open this year.

fed got a break when soderling was able to get by ailing, injured nadal in 2009 at RG.

top 3 are just too good. you have to have a little break or a little bit of luck going your way if you want to take them down.

murray is learning to stand up to them which will also go a long way.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
And I still think that once Murray is able to get his first slam, he will win more. There is no doubt he is close. Very close. And when he wins his first one it will be a combination of getting some luck AND Murray himself "taking that next step". As you say, I think he continues to improve. He certainly isn't getting worse.

The margins are just so small at the very top of the game.

Look, 12 months ago, everyone had about the same attitude about Nole as people have about Murray now. Who the hell knows what set Nole off. Murray could "figure something out" too.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I still think that once Murray is able to get his first slam, he will win more. There is no doubt he is close. Very close. And when he wins his first one it will be a combination of getting some luck AND Murray himself "taking that next step". As you say, I think he continues to improve. He certainly isn't getting worse.

The margins are just so small at the very top of the game.

Look, 12 months ago, everyone had about the same attitude about Nole as people have about Murray now. Who the hell knows what set Nole off. Murray could "figure something out" too.
well murray does not have finishing power off his forehand wing while nole does.

that is one of the things holding murray back. murray also does not move as well as those above him.

all that being said, he is just a little break or a little bit of luck away from his first slam. it could happen for him.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
There's an EXTREMELY popular school of thought (not only on MTF, but all around) which goes like this:

"Everything Đoković achieves, Murray will/can achieve about a year or year and a half later"

or

"You useless little brat! Look up to that Serbian immigrant, he's getting all the better grades!"

That's a TOTAL arrogant humiliation of Novak. To compare Murray's abilities with his? Even more ridiculous than claiming that my great-grandmother is a hotter chick than Angelina.

Novak has had all the NECESSARY requirements to benefit from "that something which triggered him". Murray doesn't and never will.

So, the expectations? A facial job (or at least orthodontic) would be nice.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
There's an EXTREMELY popular school of thought (not only on MTF, but all around) which goes like this:

"Everything Đoković achieves, Murray will/can achieve about a year or year and a half later"

or

"You useless little brat! Look up to that Serbian immigrant, he's getting all the better grades!"

That's a TOTAL arrogant humiliation of Novak. To compare Murray's abilities with his? Even more ridiculous than claiming that my great-grandmother is a hotter chick than Angelina.

Novak has had all the NECESSARY requirements to benefit from "that something which triggered him". Murray doesn't and never will.

So, the expectations? A facial job (or at least orthodontic) would be nice.

In other words we expect Murray to fail

·
Banned
79 Posts
HE needs to improve his forehand which is too liable to break down in big matches. He also needs to get hungrier. I dont sense when he plays a slam semi or final it is life or death for him like it is for the top 3.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
well murray does not have finishing power off his forehand wing while nole does.

that is one of the things holding murray back. murray also does not move as well as those above him.

all that being said, he is just a little break or a little bit of luck away from his first slam. it could happen for him.
Nole's forehand wasn't too good about a year ago either. His serve was also a problem. Same with Murray. His first serve is inconsistent and the (top players) feast on his second serve.

But, I'm not saying that Murray will do it because Nole did it (and they are just so similar). I'm saying that one year ago Nole was getting the same kind of criticism Murray is getting now (and has been for a few years). I'm saying that it was rather unexpected for Nole to go off like he did this year. It would be pretty damn unexpected for Murray to go off too. Or even to improve to the point of standing on even footing with the Top 3. But, it could happen. You certainly can see it as a possibility given the game Murray possesses.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Despite his slam results this year I still think that Murray has regressed A LOT since Cincy '08 - Australia '10. He used to be a genuine threat against anybody. The change is most apparent against Nadal. He's gone from giving him a hard time/beating him to being his bitch on every surface.

The most damning thing though is how much worse his actual tennis game has been for the last two years. Ignoring confidence/mentality, his basic strokes haven't been good enough. He used to be so absurdly consistent. I don't like him but it's a shame he's stagnated so completely.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Why does everyone rate Mugray so high? He's a mediocre pusher with WTA mentality who got lucky to achieve what he did. He career will go downward in 2012. He'll be out of top 20 by 2013.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts