Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're into the quarterfinals at the Australian Open so it's time for classic MTF prediction threads. You can list your top three dream finals and then list the three finals that you think are the most likely to happen.

Dream finals

1) (1) Nadal def. (2) Djokovic 3-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-2, 7-6(10-8)
2) (1) Nadal def. (3) Federer 7-5, 4-6, 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
3) Sandgren def. Wawrinka 3-6, 2-6, 7-6(9), 7-6(8), 7-6(11)

Most likely finals

1) (2) Djokovic def. (1) Nadal 6-3, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
2) (2) Djokovic def. (4) Thiem 6-2, 6-4, 6-4
3) (2) Djokovic def. (6) Zverev 6-2, 6-3, 6-2

Possible but far less likely

4) (1) Nadal def. Federer

·
Administrator
9,548 Posts
How can a ‘possible but far less likely’ final be one between Wawrinka and Nadal if the Romand is in Nadal’s half?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
How can a ‘possible but far less likely’ final be one between Wawrinka and Nadal if the Romand is in Nadal’s half?
I was wondering that too. I guess they say "anything is possible", but it would require a rule change or some other event like use of the infinite improbability drive from hitchhikers guide to the universe.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I think most people would want to see a Djoker-Stan final. Djoker has not lost a final at the OZ open. Stan would be a big threat to that record.

·
The special one
14,780 Posts
That would be an interesting one. Thiem has improved a lot on hard-courts and I actually think he can beat Nadal this time.
I think he could go all the way (although Djokovic is the clear fave) I feel The bookies are seriously underestimating his chances. 3/1 to beat Nadal, 20/1 to win the tournament. This could be his time.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I think he could go all the way (although Djokovic is the clear fave) I feel The bookies are seriously underestimating his chances. 3/1 to beat Nadal, 20/1 to win the tournament. This could be his time.
I don't think he can win it all yet, but a final is possible. At the French, he can win that this year. He would need to face Nadal before the final.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Federer Nadal final would be the best. So much at stake, whoever wins takes a 2-1 lead in AO finals. But this probably won’t happen.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
i would love to see Thiem against Federer (not gonna happen) or Djokovic

·
Registered
63 Posts
-Nadal vs. Sandgren (even Rafa's historical fortunes at the AO couldn't resist such one-way traffic)
-Nadal vs. Federer (Fed's obviously not right and that makes the result inevitable)

Are these the best/dream matchups? Absolutely not, but they're ideal scenarios as a Nadal fan.

From a neutral/more likely to happen point of view: Zverev vs. Djokovic
-Zverev has always had everything necessary, and I feel he will be dangerous once reaching a GS SF/F because there won't be any expectations vs. Big 3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts