Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name the best and worst things about your country. As below.....

Ireland - Best

1. Weather
No extreme conditions. Never under -5 and never over +30. This is nice to be honest.

2. Personality reputation/Nightlife
Everywhere I ever go on holidays, people say they love Irish, accents,friendly and fun. Nights out are very good over here too. Its all about the fun

3. Extinct things (most of europe)
No Guns legal, No Snakes, No deadly spiders. No sharks.

4. Nuetral in war.
Despite being right beside Uk. We stay out of all that nonsense.

Ireland - Worst

1. Rent prices.
It is an absolute joke and I have seen people pay 2,000 a month for a ROOM.

2. Homlessnes.
Way too many which is unfortunate for them ?

3. Sport
While there is great golfers,fighters and Rugby, the football league is so unimpressive and the tennis set up is shocking.

4. Travel
Not being able to drive to the rest of europe without taking plane or boat first sucks.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Australia - Best

#1 Multicultural diversity - lots of different restaurants and people to meet. This doesn't mean there isn't instances of racism but it is nice to see many different cultural backgrounds live, and work together side by side.

#2 Relaxed atmosphere. Not sure about anywhere else but Aussies can wear thongs (aka flipflops), shorts and a singlet/tanktop and walk outside casually. It also invades how people communicate with each other.

#3 Natural beautiful landscapes. Australia has some very nice natural wonders, from national parks to the Great Barrier Reef and Uluru (Giant Red Rock). Australia is also known for some endemic native fauna and flora, and of course its beaches.

#4 Sports - well there's generally quite a bit to watch, whether it be the rugby, or Aussie Rules football, or cricket. We have our own Grand slam as well.

#5 Social security. AUS actually does an alright job on this front. We get a lot of welfare.

#6 Freedom from fear and persecution. Generally we have very few incidences of terrorist attacks or mass killings. Also although we do have some environmental hazards like bushfires and flash flooding and cyclones in Northern parts, we don't experience earthquakes.

Australia - Worst

#1 Cost of living - it is very expensive to rent or buy properties. Sydney is the worst with median house price over $1.1 million (AUD)

#2 Transport - public transport system is quite well behind the rest of the world, especially developed Asia and Europe. Not enough trains to urban areas, and generally can be overcrowded and with long schedules (may take up to 15 minutes to catch a train). Buses also experience similar delays and coverage is poor given the distance between suburbs. It often takes commuters over 40 minutes to an hour to get to work, and perhaps longer by public transport.

#3 Temperature. Summer days can be very hot with sweltering conditions over 40 degrees celsius at its worst. With that also comes a lot of flies and pests.

#4 Career opportunities. Well compared to the rest of the world, job opportunities in some sectors can be limited at times. Those who want to further their career may find it easier overseas.

#5 Travel - we're literally an island continent so you have to catch a plane to see anything outside of our borders. The flight will be at least 6 hours from Sydney to any part of Indonesia, 9 hours to Hong Kong, and over 20 hours to reach Europe or the States.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Chile

Best:

Weather: While winters can get cold, weather usually doesn't drop below -5ºC and while summer temperature can get to 30+ºC, it's dry Heat so it's not unbearable. Plus the nights tend to cool off quite a bit. This is central Chile. Temperatures in the north and south are much different.

Geography: This is a good and a bad thing at the same time. It's good because Chile, being so long, has a wide range of ecosistems. The world's driest desert in the north and some of the harshest Cold conditions down south in the Patagonia. Plus there is the Andes everywhere right to the east. This means that you can be at the Beach or skying in the mountains without having to drive over two hours for each place.

Security: While crime isn't uncommon, Chile is one of the safest countries in the region. I can walk down the street at night in the downtown area and I know that i'd be okay.

Worst:

Social inequality: One of the most unequal countries on Earth. Some people have way too much money whereas other have little to make end meet.

Right-wing President and right-wing oriented society in general: This country is never going to truly move forward unless people change their mentality.

Awful media: Controlled by the right, they set up the narrative for the people to do as they're told. Honestly, if I could change one thing about this place, it would be the media.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I think this is a great thread topic.

I would like to answer it, but I fear if I did all the Canadians here would despise me. LOL Maybe later.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Best:

-Geography. The place is beautiful, many great places to visit and very diverse. I traveled to many different countries and it's up there in my top 3.
-Sports. Many great athletes in different disciplines, in particular the football goat.
-Food. A lot of traditional food that is great.

Worst:

-People drive like shit, it's unbelievable.
-The economy is terrible, the cost of living is very high.
-Too many people are assholes.
-Crime can be a problem in certain areas.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Finland - best

1. Sauna
This is very much the only thing I miss about Finland when abroad.

2. Honest people
You can generally trust in people in Finland. We have low crime rates. And you can trust in democracy here.

3. Education system
I can be grateful of the opportunities provided by our education system. Having studied for a year in Germany, I'm not totally convinced about the superiority of the Finnish system, though it's surely better than in most countries.

4. Need to learn foreign languages
The fact that you can't use Finnish abroad forces you to learn other languages. That's why we have some of the best non-native English skills (although the lack of closely related languages somewhat discourages people from learning more foreign language).

Finland - worst

1. Distances
Finland is a big country for its population, meaning also long distances. Plus the location in the far north makes traveling abroad more difficult than for our Central European fellows.

2. Weather
While having four seasons is kinda cool, I still don't like the Finnish winter so much. Cold and dark for too long.

3. Regulation
Sometimes it feels like we're living in a nanny state, especially when it comes to things like alcohol or gambling, or speed limits on roads. Sometimes regulation is truly needed but I wish people were given more freedom and responsibility of themselves.

4. Different preferences in sports from mine
It's kinda crazy most of my favorite sports, even if mainstream in Europe or even globally, are niche sports in Finland. Or maybe I just should be happy not to have the Finnish tabloid journalism of my favorite sports.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
England/Britain

+ Endearing landscapes and natural beauty. It may be wet but if it wasn't it wouldn't be so green.
+ Impressive exports in the fields of art, science, philosophy and pretty much everything else.
+ A lot of the people are lovely and a little bit odd.
+ Self-deprecation as an art form.

- Deference to rich and titled. The monarchy is a fetish.
- Terrible exports in the fields of art, science, philosophy and pretty much everything else.
- A lot of the people are ignorant and bigoted.
- Tabloid culture and newspapers in general.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
UK

Good things:

- We've got some decent literature, music, art and movies.

- Lots of decent pubs (but sadly, it's far more expensive than drinking at home, because supermarkets have way too much influence over public policies).

- BBC Radio 3 is great.

- Thousands of churches with weird Green Men, gargoyles and other oddities.

Bad things:

- The government and the opposition are both totally wedded to NATO and imperialism, and bear direct responsibility for things like the destruction of Iraq and Libya.

- Rent is super high. House prices are super high. Most people who rent cannot save much money and do not have a realistic prospect of being able to afford a deposit. There are loads of empty houses and loads of homeless people. Insufficient social housing provisions.

- Severe problems with unemployment and underemployment, with the majority of new job growth being highly precarious and underpaid.

- Anyone who wants a higher education must incur at least £27,000 of debt (unless they have rich parents).

- Dental care is really expensive and not covered by National Insurance (for most people).

- Police surveillance is widespread, including manipulative undercover policing of political groups and violent treatment of organised workers (to the extent that workers can organise, given the vast amount of anti-union legislation passed since the 1980s). The police are also institutionally racist.

- Obesity is a growing problem (along with type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, etc.). This is not helped by reckless journalists constantly promoting unhealthy low carb fad diets and quack doctors, and spreading all kinds of misinformation about nutrition and health.

- The newspapers are utterly disgusting and help to normalise all kinds of prejudice. Over the past few years, there has been a particular focus on demonising transgender people, especially in the Times/Sunday Times, Telegraph, Sun, Express, and Daily Mail (and in current affairs magazines like the Spectator and New Statesman), which is one of the two most socially acceptable forms of prejudice along with anti-Muslim bigotry.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Israel

Best

1- the ppl- super smart non formal ppl, cant stand fakness most are very direct and pretty honest (work both ways if ur not liked u will know). Friendly and like to host

2- veriaty of landscapes in such a small place. Rivers, mountains with snow to ski, desert, beaches and green vallys

3- the foooood.
Name the food and u will find it, everything from everywhere and all fresh ready to eat. Bc ppl came deom different placed each brought his dishes

4- The history- i think its pretty clear

5- The weather - its 23-24 most of the year
In july and August it can be very warm above 30C and in the winter theres 30 rainy days a year max 3 days of snow.

6-The nightlife and vibes- cant described tel aviv or Jerusalem...

7- law rate crime - it will surprise most of u but its pretty much a safe country

Bad

1- the neighborhood- hostile between everyobe in are era, u cant drive outside or from other places into israel its luje an isolates island and u can get a rocket bc two of ur neighbor countries had a fight with either other

2- lazy adult politicians- do nothing just want to hold their office

3- awful public transformation and lots of traffic. No underground train!!!!

4- the orthodox - dont work or to to the army, dislike by most israeli and would kick their butt to space if we know how

5- housings prices- u can but a house in Beverly hills but not in tel aviv.
Its insane how high prices in here

6- Bureaucracy - long, awful, endless and tiresome Bureaucracy that can take weeks or months to get an answer or a decision

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Hungary - Best

1. Weather
Very warm, but not too hot in summer and mildly cold in winter.

2. History and sights
Rich medieval sights, interesting remains of forts/castles throughout the country (being on the Turkish/Habsburg border for 1.5 centuries), a very colorful art life accompanying that.

3. Sport
We are very good at all kind of summer olympics sports traditionally. Even we were once a great football power, though that ended towards the end of 60's.

4. Travel
Being at the center of Europe, you can reach all parts maybe except northern Scandinavia with ease. Many Hungarians travel a lot and even commute to foreign countries to work.

5. Music
Rich in traditions, Hungarian folk music and such classics like Kodály and Bartók make the foundation, also very much all kind of other music like jazz, pop, rock and electronic enriches it.

Hungary - Worst

1. Rent prices
It is an absolute joke nowadays, having risen like 87% in last 5 years in Western Hungary and Budapest.

2. Politics
Nepotism and corruption have ruled Hungarian politics since late 70's till the fall of communism, and continued ever since. There is no light at the end of the tunnel in this matter, it seems.

3. Health system and general health level of population
Unfortunately our traditions are not that great in that regard, also Hungarians tend to love unhealthy food and drinking way too much, also not really into sports at amateur level too much. The health system could be improved by 2 grades.

4. Not neutral in war for last 200 years
Despite being at the center of Europe, we just can't stay out of trouble if there are higher powers at stake, we payed the price dearly, even lost 2/3 of our territory in 1920.

5. Bureaucracy
Though the state administration improved a lot in recent years, Hungarian courts still take a lot of time to address cases and make decisions within reasonable timeframes.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@Djoker, with me being a clown of the highest order I am surprised to see you post in one of my clown threads.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Australia:

Best = weather most of the year here, Sports timezone compablity with watching events held in Asia, Girls - from all sorts of backgrounds and who are amongst the best looking in the world - as I noted in another thread :drool:

Worst = weather during peak summer and 'peak' winter (esp. in my city), sports timezone compability with USA and to a far less degree Europe (depends on whether it is daylight saving time of year or not).

·
Banned
295 Posts
UK

Good things:

- We've got some decent literature, music, art and movies.
I love English/UK music - esp. from the 60s and late 70s through late 90s - and beyond.

You didn't mention sport though? any ideas about that? :smile:

·
Banned
295 Posts
Australia - Best

#4 Sports - well there's generally quite a bit to watch, whether it be the rugby, or Aussie Rules football, or cricket. We have our own Grand slam as well.

I do prefer Basketball, Soccer and Tennis myself as well as Athletics, Surfing, F1 racing - and women's beach volleyball - for some reason :aplot:

But I will take some interest if a local Canberra team is playing in NRL or Rugby Union.

Australia - Worst

#2 Transport - public transport system is quite well behind the rest of the world, especially developed Asia and Europe. Not enough trains to urban areas, and generally can be overcrowded and with long schedules (may take up to 15 minutes to catch a train). Buses also experience similar delays and coverage is poor given the distance between suburbs. It often takes commuters over 40 minutes to an hour to get to work, and perhaps longer by public transport.

Traffic here has been horrible for the last 18 months or so. But it's gradually improved in the last 6 weeks.

Additionally though I must add - historically - 'our' treatment of Aboriginal's is an absolute disgrace - and continues from certain politicians to this day.

I do feel broadly speaking more and more people here are trying to, not forget what happened in the past (as such) but move onto a more inclusive and accepting community for all Australians - while still remembering our shameful past in this area (see also: USA treatment of African Americans for a parallel comparison).

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
@Djoker, with me being a clown of the highest order I am surprised to see you post in one of my clown threads.
This is not a clown thread, this is seriously good! Thanks for the idea starting it. :wink2:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Additionally though I must add - historically - 'our' treatment of Aboriginal's is an absolute disgrace - and continues from certain politicians to this day.

I do feel broadly speaking more and more people here are trying to, not forget what happened in the past (as such) but move onto a more inclusive and accepting community for all Australians - while still remembering our shameful past in this area (see also: USA treatment of African Americans for a parallel comparison).
yes, yes and yes. The one good thing they do is teach us about it at school.

There is a really good 6 part documentary series on SBS called First Contact and I highly recommend it. People to this day misunderstand problems relating to Indigenous Australians and this show addressed them facefirst by putting 6 ordinary Aussies into contact with actual indigenous Australians and lived with them. Pretty shocking stuff at pts.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/352505923803/first-contact

btw how on earth you got banned on the other forum?

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Germany (in short):

Great:

- No speed limits on Autobahn most of the time :worship: Should be like this anywhere else
- Fantastic literature, sources for philosophy/sociology/...... /-logy
- Welfare is ok (not fair, but at least we have it unlike most of the countries I've been to), overall politics decent
- We got the best candies, low taxes on food as well, so food is really cheap here in Germany. You can have a great meal for like 2 Euros
- It's quite a big country a bit like Chile, you have lots of different ecosystems (although not with such a huge variation like Chile have)
- Cultural diversity
- Great cars
- Rent prices are ok outside of big cities

Horrific:

- Rent prices are beyond good and evil in popular towns/big cities whatever.
- Germany is a federalist country, it's hard to talk about Germany as one if Bavarians do have a completely different cultural history and identity than people from Hamburg for example. Cultural diversity is wonderful, but federalist system can be woeful at times, especially in educational system for example. Tl;dr: Bureaucracy is a chore thanks to dozens of different legal codes
- Right wingers rising (although there've been always lots of them in Germany)
- This country is divided for multiple historical (HRRDN, DDR etc.), cultural and many more reasons
- Despite its great fundus and richness of literature there's been literally NO exports in these fields as well like in Britain
- Sickening amount of radar traps everywhere outside of Autobahns (esp. in Southern Germany)

·
The special one
14,029 Posts
One of the good things is that It's just a relatively small island. Bad things are shite weather and can't buy booze after 10pm in your local supermarket.

Oh yeah, another great thing is the music, for such a small country we've produced some of the most iconic musicians.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
One of the good things is that It's just a relatively small island. Bad things are shite weather and can't buy booze after 10pm in your local supermarket.

Oh yeah, another great thing is the music, for such a small country we've produced some of the most iconic musicians.
You should come south of the border mate :wink2:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts