Mens Tennis Forums banner

Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

delsa said:
He had matches with a great serve percentage in Cincy. First set against Stepanek (something like 10 aces, 80% first, 80% second :eek: a fast first serve etc...) and in other occasions. But true not in an entire match if i remember correctly. anyway he never ended up with bad that bad stats after although his first serve always had gone off during one of the sets...
Djokovic will punish him on his 2nd serves that's so true...
Yeah I think he has some phases where he comes out firing, I have not checked stats I was just scratching over my memories and I don´t remember having witnessed any outstanding performance from him concerning 1st serve percentage.

I agree in the 2nd part, Djokovic is a joy to watch returning the ball and Gael´s 2nd serve should be quite comfortable for him to attack imo

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Deivid23 said:
Good points, vincayou. Maybe it´s too soon to speak bc of their age and it´s possible time will prove me wrong as they still have pleny of time to fully develop, but despite I think Nole is more used to play on clay I believe his game is better suited for hc and the opposite goes to Monfils, so maybe this time the outcome goes in the other way.

Monfils has for sure a lot of potential also but I rate Nole a couple of notches above him concerning "smartness on court" and that could also make it go in Djokovic´s favour.

I think this one will be a tight match and I hope I can get some coverage though I think it´s unlikely
Djokovic seems to have more potential, but I think that he will more likely have his breakthrough next year. This year, he has shown many good things but has most of the time been too short physically to finish his opponents. He only won 4 matchs I think on main tournaments. That's not too much given his talent.

He's definitely "smarter" than Monfils in his shot selection from what I have seen.

It's hard to tell, because you never know when young players step up to the next level, and Novak might just do it here, or it might be Gael.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Deivid23 said:
Monfils can hit a lot of winners indeed but Nole´s ball will be difficult to handle for him in order to get those winners. Gael has not enough precision (yet) to get a consistent number of winners off those flat and hard balls imo.
If he is smart then he can do very well, use the slice serve on Gael's forehand on the deuce side, hit a few to the open court and then hit behind him, he has to keep him off balance.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
delsa said:
Like i think it was Marine who said that: he thinks tennis is about "boom boom boom" (i know that doesn't mean anything but well... :eek: ).
I can´t believe I agree with Marine on sth :lol:

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

GeorgeWHitler said:
If he is smart then he can do very well, use the slice serve on Gael's forehand on the deuce side, hit a few to the open court and then hit behind him, he has to keep him off balance.
I´d love to watch this match but I think I will have to be happy with Henman Verdasco, anyway thís one is also interesting to me.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Djokovic in 4 ... Go! :bounce:

·
Registered
20,073 Posts
The pb with Gaël's % of 1st serve is that it isn't constant. He's able to have a very high % in the 1st set and then divide it by 2 in the following games. That's one of the things he has to work on imo.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Monfils beat him last year in Juniors 6-2 6-4.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Herceg Novi said:
Viktor Troicki beat monfils last year in US Open but is not a better player so what is ur point?
No need to get on the defensive there bud. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: Youngsters challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Deivid23 said:
Pity it wasn´t a Murray vs Djokovic bc Nole would win that for sure at great odds and what it´s funnier I could laugh more at all this Murray´s hype. Monfils is a worst match-up for Nole I reckon, anyway I hope Novak can beat Rocky also.

I mean there seems to be alot of potential in Djokovic, but it didn't suprise me the daily dig at Murray, i mean the overhyped Murray etc etc, i mean you need to look into your facts a little closer my friend, i doubt he would beat Murray easily, very much doubt it!!!!

Now the matches Djokovic has played on the Atp tour and the matches Murray has played lets compare results.

DJOKOVIC MURRAY

Ginepri (clay) 75 Dent (Grass) 34
Monaco (Grass) 47 Bastl (Grass) 112
Garcia Lopez (Grass) 49 Stepanek (Grass) 15
Calatrava (Clay) 111 Carraz (Grass) 118
Witten (Hard Court) ?
Dent (Hard Court) 23

I mean i wouldn't be suprised if he was the favourite going into all them matches, i hate comparing and i don't want to get on Djokovic's back but when people are slagging Murray off and comparing him to Djokovic i think you will agree unless you are an utter muppet Murray's results have been more impressive, i am not saying Murray is better than Djokovic or i am not saying Djokovic is better than Murray, but where is the over hype?? please tell me??? For me Djokovic has not done much???

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Herceg Novi said:
Viktor Troicki beat monfils last year in US Open but is not a better player so what is ur point?
I don't know what he meant but i think that's just to say he was already able to beat him. But it was in the juniors and everything is different there so i agree with you that it doesn't mean anything.
IF we had to look at a result (which doesn't imply a lot too...) it would be the result of their last meeting in a Future that Vincayou spoke about.
Monfils was injured in the 2004 Junior USO but a loss is still a loss.
Anyway, good luck to both players. Let's stop speculating too much about this encounter especially since there will be many of them in the future...

·
Registered
698 Posts
For me Djokovic is the hype not Murray, who has Djokovic beat?????

The highest ranked player he has beat was Monaco on Grass about as impressive as Nadal beating Rusedski on clay!!!

Now for me going of Djokovic's results Monfils will win i can see Djokovic is improving maybe could of beat Gonzalez, but until he makes a breakthrough, which he defintly will do maybe against Monfils but i doubt it, don't be slagging Murray off because like i say on the Atp tour if anything Djokovi is overhyped not Murray.

i say Monfils in 4

·
124,507 Posts
skel1983 said:

The highest ranked player he has beat was Monaco on Grass about as impressive as Nadal beating Rusedski on clay!!!

Now for me going of Djokovic's results Monfils will win i can see Djokovic is improving maybe could of beat Gonzalez, but until he makes a breakthrough, which he defintly will do maybe against Monfils but i doubt it, don't be slagging Murray off because like i say on the Atp tour if anything Djokovi is overhyped not Murray.

i say Monfils in 4
Why is Murray mentioned in a match that he has nothing to do with in this case?

·
Registered
698 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Why is Murray mentioned in a match that he has nothing to do with in this case?

If you read my previous post you would know why, someone else started having a go at Murray as usual, so i defended him as my post backs up, is that ok with you???

·
124,507 Posts
skel1983 said:
If you read my previous post you would know why, someone else started having a go at Murray as usual, so i defended him as my post backs up, is that ok with you???
You do know there is a thread where you can discuss all you like about Murray being overhyped or not including 7 other players and just for you I'll bump it up.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
skel1983 said:

i say Monfils in 4
It´s clear you´ve never seen Nole playing. Just be patient and you will see why I say he will be a much better player than Murray and he´s not receiving the tenth part of the hype Andy is.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Deivid23 said:
It´s clear you´ve never seen Nole playing. Just be patient and you will see why I say he will likely be a much better player than Murray and he´s not receiving the tenth part of the hype Andy is.
Rightly so who has he beat???? why would he recieve the hype Murray has, i know Murray has had alot but Djokovic has not had the coverage or hype because he has not beat anyone of significence, when he does he will then get the hype.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
skel1983 said:
Rightly so who has he beat???? why would he recieve the hype Murray has, i know Murray has had alot but Djokovic has not had the coverage or hype because he has not beat anyone of significence, when he does he will then get the hype.
He didn´t receive any wild card and qualfied for all GS, double-bagelled Ginepri in a performance Murray wouldn´t even match in his wetter dreams, pushed Coria (5 games in a row of awesome shotmaking in RG to win 1st set) till his physical condition avoid him to keep fighting, came back from 2 sets to love and several match points on García-López´s serve in the 3rd set at 4-5 and made a tough match off Grosjean in Wimbly, had González on the ropes a few days ago. As I said, it´s just a matter of time you will also realize Murray is nothing compared to him, mate, don´t hurry ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Deivid23 said:
He didn´t receive any wild card and qualfied for all GS, double-bagelled Ginepri in a performance Murray wouldn´t even match in his wetter dreams, pushed Coria (5 games in a row of awesome shotmaking in RG to win 1st set) till his physical condition avoid him to keep fighting, came back from 2 sets to love and several match points on García-López´s serve in the 3rd set at 4-5 and made a tough match off Grosjean in Wimbly, had González on the ropes a few days ago. As I said, it´s just a matter of time you will also realize Murray is nothing compared to him, mate, don´t hurry ;)

If you want to start talking utter rubbish here's Murray's portfolio

Should of took out former Wimby champion Nalbandian till he ran out of steam, should of beat Wimby sf Tojo at queens, took a set off Safin in Cinncy 6-1, all this nearly stuff doesn't matter, the fact is he has beat no one and until he does i will give him the accolade's he dererves,but to disrespect Murray because your man Djokovic is not getting the breaks is unfair.

I have seen him play he is a good player,i would not disrespect him but like i say the fact is Murray deserves every praise he gets he has beaton 2 top 20 players, all this wait and see, is fine it will happen it's only a matter of time, but there is no way on this earth Murray is overhyed he has done everything asked of him and produced great results, so dosen't he deserve the hype, imagine Djokovic beat say similar ranked players to Stepanek and Dent say,
Tojo and Lopez, we wouldn't hear the end of it from fans like yourselve, would i start brandishing rubbish like he is overhyped etc etc, no he would deserve his plaudit's he is ranked alot lower than these guys and it's a great achievement.

I mean Murray was ranked over 250 when he beat Stepanek how many players of that ranking at that age beat a player like Stepanek?? answer that i rest my case.

21 - 40 of 198 Posts