Mens Tennis Forums banner

Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Re: Youngsters challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

I decided to go for Djokovic in this one, and good to see there is match between 2 of the 8 players I have in that thread, just hope Novak can outlast him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Youngsters challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

GeorgeWHitler said:
I decided to go for Djokovic in this one, and good to see there is match between 2 of the 8 players I have in that thread, just hope Novak can outlast him.
Pity it wasn´t a Murray vs Djokovic bc Nole would win that for sure at great odds and what it´s funnier I could laugh more at all this Murray´s hype. Monfils is a worst match-up for Nole I reckon, anyway I hope Novak can beat Rocky also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,744 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Monfils in 4? :shrug:
Not really sure,just go Gael! :bounce:
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Monfils career on the ATP has somewhat kicked off in the last few weeks

Monfils in 3 or 4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,958 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

I'm for Gaël with all my heart but Djokovic in 4 or even 3...
Proove me wrong Gaël! But if Novak wins that's ok since i like the player and the game a lot too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

bad gambler said:
Monfils career on the ATP has somewhat kicked off in the last few weeks

Monfils in 3 or 4
No chance for Gael to win in str8 sets imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
They already met last year in a future and Monfils won 6-4 6-7 6-2 I think. So I'll give the edge to Monfils. Both are not physically ready for 5 setters, but I think that Monfils is slighty better in this compartment (he's one year older).

But I have been very impressed by Djokovic, strong on both side, good at the volley and very tough mentally. And it shows that he's very smart as well.

Monfils is more a rollercoaster, but he's tough mentally as well and has an impressive court coverage, big forehand and serve. Too bad that they meet so early because both could have easily reached 3rd or 4th round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Re: Youngsters challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

GeorgeWHitler said:
...hope Novak can outlast him.
They both are lacking in fitness (understendably, given their age). It's just the quiestion of whos is worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vincayou said:
They already met last year in a future and Monfils won 6-4 6-7 6-2 I think. So I'll give the edge to Monfils. Both are not physically ready for 5 setters, but I think that Monfils is slighty better in this compartment (he's one year older).

But I have been very impressed by Djokovic, strong on both side, good at the volley and very tough mentally. And it shows that he's very smart as well.

Monfils is more a rollercoaster, but he's tough mentally as well and has an impressive court coverage, big forehand and serve. Too bad that they meet so early because both could have easily reached 3rd or 4th round.
Good points, vincayou. Maybe it´s too soon to speak bc of their age and it´s possible time will prove me wrong as they still have pleny of time to fully develop, but despite I think Nole is more used to play on clay I believe his game is better suited for hc and the opposite goes to Monfils, so maybe this time the outcome goes in the other way.

Monfils has for sure a lot of potential also but I rate Nole a couple of notches above him concerning "smartness on court" and that could also make it go in Djokovic´s favour.

I think this one will be a tight match and I hope I can get some coverage though I think it´s unlikely
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Deivid23 said:
No chance for Gael to win in str8 sets imo
If Gael serves at 80 per cent of 1st serves then he can win in straight sets, though I don't think that will be happening.

Actually the biggest challenge is being able to watch this match. I don't have anything against Monfils, but he has more than enough support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,958 Posts
vincayou said:
Both are not physically ready for 5 setters, but I think that Monfils is slighty better in this compartment (he's one year older).
I disagree on this. Gaël hasn't good conditioning and moreover isn't smart enough about "managing" well his "energy reserve" during a match. He runs too much unecessarily without it necessarily showing on the scoreboard (=he still loose the points) then has to recuperate and loose points then runs again etc...sorry about this shitty explanation but my English is shit and it shows more today...
Like i think it was Marine who said that: he thinks tennis is about "boom boom boom" (i know that doesn't mean anything but well... :eek: ).
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Deivid23 said:
No chance for Gael to win in str8 sets imo
fair enough, but Novak is still too hit and miss, if he comes out blazing then will be hard to stop (similar to your man almagro), but on the flip side when he misses he can be terrible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

GeorgeWHitler said:
If Gael serves at 80 per cent of 1st serves then he can win in straight sets, though I don't think that will be happening.

Actually the biggest challenge is being able to watch this match. I don't have anything against Monfils, but he has more than enough support.
I don´t remember any match from Gael in which he was having a great 1st serve percentage, so that won´t happen and I´m convinced Nole will kill his 2nd serve. The bad thing for Djokovic is that he will need to have an inspired day cause Monfils will retrieve too many balls back for what Djokovic is used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

bad gambler said:
fair enough, but Novak is still too hit and miss, if he comes out blazing then will be hard to stop (similar to your man almagro), but on the flip side when he misses he can be terrible
Agree about Novak taking risks in his game and that´s why I say he will need an inspired day to win this, but there are a couple of facts (as that one about Gael´s 2nd serve) that make me feel optimistic about him today. Anything but a close match would be a surprise to me, honestly.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Deivid23 said:
I don´t remember any match from Gael in which he was having a great 1st serve percentage, so that won´t happen and I´m convinced Nole will kill his 2nd serve. The bad thing for Djokovic is that he will need to have an inspired day cause Monfils will retrieve too many balls back for what Djokovic is used to.
Monfils isn't the smartest player and he isn't in great condition, but he plays with plenty of energy and Nole should keep hitting behind him when he has the chance and move him out of position at the same time Gael can make a lot of errors or make a lot of winners, he just needs to believe in his game and have a good strategy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

GeorgeWHitler said:
Monfils isn't the smartest player and he isn't in great condition, but he plays with plenty of energy and Nole should keep hitting behind him when he has the chance and move him out of position at the same time Gael can make a lot of errors or make a lot of winners, he just needs to believe in his game and have a good strategy.
Monfils can hit a lot of winners indeed but Nole´s ball will be difficult to handle for him in order to get those winners. Gael has not enough precision (yet) to get a consistent number of winners off those flat and hard balls imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,958 Posts
Re: Youngsters´ challenger chapter 1: Monfils vs Djokovic, who will win?

Deivid23 said:
I don´t remember any match from Gael in which he was having a great 1st serve percentage, so that won´t happen and I´m convinced Nole will kill his 2nd serve.
He had matches with a great serve percentage in Cincy. First set against Stepanek (something like 10 aces, 80% first, 80% second :eek: a fast first serve etc...) and in other occasions. But true not in an entire match if i remember correctly. Anyway, he never ended up with that bad stats after although his first serve always had gone off during one of the sets...
Djokovic will punish him on his 2nd serves that's so true...
I'm not convinced Gaël can make that much winners too...
 
1 - 20 of 198 Posts
Top