Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've never watched Young playing, I want to know if he has the qualities needed to potentially surprise Nadal. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
810 Posts
On the spectrum of "big hitter/retriever" Young falls closer to the retriever end. This is not typically the type of player who takes out Nadal, but considering both of their current forms, I regrettably give Young a shot in this match...

·
Your visions will happen
51,352 Posts
DY is a fine player, but he does not posess the mental fortitude to take out Nadal. At least, not yet. He also doesnt play the Blake/Berdych/Youzhny style of game that beats Nadal.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
DY is a fine player, but he does not posess the mental fortitude to take out Nadal. At least, not yet. He also doesnt play the Blake/Berdych/Youzhny style of game that beats Nadal.
What he said. Young's got a pretty good first serve but that second serve is a real softee. Nadal will eat that up. Still, Young's a leftie which should help a bit against Nadal, so I doubt it will be a beatdown. I'm guessing 6-3 6-4 or 6-4 6-4, with Nadal getting one more break than Young each set.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Young doesnt have the game to beat him but with the way Nadals playing he could surprise us. Maybe it was the wind in Nadals match that made it so bad but Nadal should win. I havent watch young play a lot, so correct me if im wrong. Average serve, solid groundies, better backhand? Good volleyer/mover?? Ive seen some clipson youtube as well..

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
On the spectrum of "big hitter/retriever" Young falls closer to the retriever end. This is not typically the type of player who takes out Nadal, but considering both of their current forms, I regrettably give Young a shot in this match...
Spot on.

Don doesn't really have the sort of game to hit Nadal off the court, he's more of a grinder with the odd spectacular shot. I doubt he can outgrind Nadal though.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
The Donald def The Mug 6-3, 6-2.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Young is an attacking player, I've seen him play in person numerous times, yes, he can beat Nadal if Rafa plays the way he did yesterday.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
This'll be the biggest match Donald has ever played so far in terms of the rank and fortitude of the opponent, correct?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
This'll be the biggest match Donald has ever played so far in terms of the rank and fortitude of the opponent, correct?
Yes, it doesn't get much bigger than #2.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
it's been a year since i watched young and obviously he has improved a lot.
still i don't see him winning this one as nadal's just too fierce a competitor, he'll run down the balls left and
right and give young a hard time. if the don can keep up with nadal's intense style of play, he might take a set,
gonna be pretty difficult though.

7-5, 6-2 nadal.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Young has nothing to lose and will probably be playing that way. Everyone says he is due a breakthrough tournament, so why not here?

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Young has nothing to lose and will probably be playing that way. Everyone says he is due a breakthrough tournament, so why not here?

the dreaded wind is back after a relatively calm day yesterday. its at 18 mph steady. i think it will affect Nadal more. he is really going to have dig in deep considering the kind of form he is in these days.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
the dreaded wind is back after a relatively calm day yesterday. its at 18 mph steady. i think it will affect Nadal more. he is really going to have dig in deep considering the kind of form he is in these days.
well, but wind's basically a concern for players who hit flat - stepanek used to have major problems as well as haas or berdych. i'm pretty sure rafa can cope with the circumstances. of course it's not nice but it won't affect him that much.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
I really don't see how Young could trouble Rafa unless he's playing way below his level. Young's not that tall so he'll have trouble handling all that top-spin (even on hard court)He might get a break here or there, but Rafa should beat him in 2

1 - 20 of 51 Posts