Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say I am glad to have seen the likes of Copil and Thiem doing great in a big stage. I usually just watch the ATP Main Tour, so I don't see them regularly. But here in Madrid they seemed to have shown great promise about the future -- maybe it is not so bleak after all if they put their work to it.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean not only Madrid -- last year I think there was only a trickle of "emerging stars" from the 90s gen showing up, but this year it seems that the next batch have been quite promising.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Copil isn't far from being 24. That's not young. Reltively young, yes, but not young enough to warrant mentioning in a thread, especially in a losing effort.

There have been many players over the years who have lost close matches against better players than Dimitrov, or have even beaten better players, who have not gone on to progress. This one result means absolutely nothing.

Thiem is a different story.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Copil can look very good on a given day when everything comes together for him, but week in week out he's largely shit. And he's almost 24. If he can make top 50 he would have done very well.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was talking about "relatively young" -- we know that lately the age average of the Top 100 has been increasing, and the addition of the likes of Thiem have at least lowered the average a little. We might see a changing of the guard in the Top 100 maybe around the next year.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Copil lost this year to Ungur on indoor hard and to Gicquel on clay...
Barely survived Coppejans on outdoor hard...
He will never even reach top 80

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I've loved it too. :) I do think people can get too "doom and gloom" about the future - first of all, not all of the "old stars" are all that old (Djokovic & Murray are still only 26, for example), and second, there are always going to be new stars emerging and new storylines being formed. It's just the way of the world.

Re Thiem - has anyone else read this 2013 article about him & his crazy fitness trainer? It's AMAZING.

Teaser blurb: "Sepp Resnik turned 60 recently. Now the man with the most colorful reputation in Austria’s sport scene wants to prove that “world class” works differently than everybody thinks it does. He has tennis prodigy Dominic Thiem, recently turned 20, shower in a waterfall, carry tree trunks through the woods, and do sit-ups at midnight until he screams."

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've loved it too. :) I do think people can get too "doom and gloom" about the future - first of all, not all of the "old stars" are all that old (Djokovic & Murray are still only 26, for example), and second, there are always going to be new stars emerging and new storylines being formed. It's just the way of the world.

Re Thiem - has anyone else read this 2013 article about him & his crazy fitness trainer? It's AMAZING.

Teaser blurb: "Sepp Resnik turned 60 recently. Now the man with the most colorful reputation in Austria’s sport scene wants to prove that “world class” works differently than everybody thinks it does. He has tennis prodigy Dominic Thiem, recently turned 20, shower in a waterfall, carry tree trunks through the woods, and do sit-ups at midnight until he screams."
This really reminds me of anime in which those who want to become strong must shower in a waterfall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts