Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any young players out there that you are just waiting for them to make their move up the rankings? and maybe you are wondering why they havent been able to yet. for me im waiting for 2 to break through: filip peliwo and christian garin. I really like both and both had success as juniors but neither one has done anything. christian is ranked 271 so he's doing better than peliwo , who is ranked 491.I feel like both need to get going sometime soon before they are forgotten. christian is 19 so maybe not panic time yet but filip is 21 so there's more concern there.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
It's only a matter of time before Kokkinakis has his big breakthrough.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I'm hoping Thiem can make a breakthrough. He's still relatively young.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Alexander Zverev, Kokkinakis, Chung, Thiem, Pouille, Vesely, Schwartzman, Kudla, Rublev (even though he's kind of a douche I like his game), Donaldson, Ymer (big breakthrough on ATP Challenger, though I want him to have a huge breakthrough at a slam), Taifoe, Novikov, Saville, Kozlov, and Rubin...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are there any young players out there that you are just waiting for them to make their move up the rankings? and maybe you are wondering why they havent been able to yet. for me im waiting for 2 to break through: filip peliwo and christian garin. I really like both and both had success as juniors but neither one has done anything. christian is ranked 271 so he's doing better than peliwo , who is ranked 491.I feel like both need to get going sometime soon before they are forgotten. christian is 19 so maybe not panic time yet but filip is 21 so there's more concern there.
Alex Zverev, Thanassi Kokkinakis are the ones I think of first. Not Borna Coric (too limited, at least now, not much flair and natural talent).

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Depends what you mean by breakthrough.

To top level - Kokkinakis, Chung and Zverev. I'd love to add Tomic but in the current circumstances, I've given up on him again.

Into top 100 - there are currently 10 in the 98-200 range in the race, and a couple like Ymer likely to make it in soon.

In terms of those I'd really like to see (as opposed to most likely) make signs of a breakthrough - Saville (21) did well as a junior though only seems to fire on grass these days. Maybe also Kyle Edmund just on the grounds that the Brits desperately need a younger gen player to come up!

Of the teens, Jared Donaldson (159), Korean Duckhee Lee (289) and last year's USO junior singles and doubles champ, Omar Jasika (just entered top 300 at 282). They are all quite young (17-18) and probably closer to a year off making it to top 100 though.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
I've been following Kubler since 2009. He's still only 22 so I still have hope he'll play more on the top tour one day.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There are a bunch of young Americans around the ages of 17-19 and I am hoping a few of them will break through over the next few years. Donaldson, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Fritz, Opelka, Paul, Rubin, Altamirano, McDonald...but who knows which of them will be great?

There are a few Americans in their early twenties who still have time to be more than journeymen (Sock, Young, Johnson, Harrison, Kudla, Frantangelo) but it looks like Sock, who is poised to break into the top 30 at the moment, is the only one who is going to be a top 10 player.

·
Administrator
18,621 Posts
After the past few months, I'm now a fan of Ymer (Elias). Such great attitude, not sure if he shall have his 'breakthrough' as such, but I can see him sneak up the rankings slowly

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
After the past few months, I'm now a fan of Ymer (Elias). Such great attitude, not sure if he shall have his 'breakthrough' as such, but I can see him sneak up the rankings slowly
He's fabulous. :) I hope both he and Mikael make it into the top 50 (and more).

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Quentin Halys. He appears to have that type of crazy game which I like very much and hopefully he will break through soon. At least to the level, he will play ATP tournaments and I would have a chance to watch him more.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Quentin Halys. He appears to have that type of crazy game which I like very much and hopefully he will break through soon. At least to the level, he will play ATP tournaments and I would have a chance to watch him more.
It is certainly entertaining to see the rush of 96ers trying to catch up to their peers - Halys has some from 636 end of last year to 233 in the race now, so could well jump up further very quickly indeed.

I've actually done a current status listing on the next wave (1995+ group in 100-300 range) here if you are interested: http://lifeunitennis.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/the-next-wave-of-young-guns.html

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Definetly dominik thiem he has the best potential and talent out of the young guns ...I d be happy for him if he has a stan like career..but I think he can do even better if he stops being stupid tacticaly so many times

1 - 19 of 19 Posts