Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which of these is most likely to pose a threat to Federer in the near future?

• Gael Monfils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Gasquet

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Rafael Nadal

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Thomas Berdych

Votes: 10 9.7%
41 - 60 of 127 Posts

· Registered
27,997 Posts
Clara Bow said:
Oh yes, Sir Pukes-a-lot.

I think he could really be a tough little guy in a couple of years. Still someone who needs to get better fitness, but he does have a really scrappy attitude and that could bode well for him. Have liked what I have seen of him on faster surfaces, but have yet to see him on Rebound Ace or clay. Is anyone familiar with how he plays on slower surfaces?
I was under the impression that he called clay his favourite surface, but I suppose that could have been a misquote. Or perhaps he said that just before passing the bong. Or maybe he's actually quite good on it and just wasn't posting the results before because he didn't have the same confidence that he had post wimbledon. Something to look forward to finding out :)

· Banned
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lee said:
Then why put Nadal in the poll as you mentioned he lacks the attributes to trouble Federer?
Well, my personal opinion is contradicted by Federer's losing record (regardless of the conditions) to Nadal, the last time they played Roger lost. Regardless of what I think will occur between these two in the future, the fact remains Nadal has a winning record against Federer for the time being and has thrown off his timing in 2 of their meetings.

I'm obligated to include Nadal, believe me, If I had a choice in the matter I would have left him out. Lots of players give Roger trouble in the first few meetings, only later to be properly dealt with.

· Registered
27,997 Posts
I don't care much for Djokovic, but that had little to do with me not including him. More so, the fact that I was not impressed by his game.
So unimpressed by his game were you that you actually took away games that he won in protest :eek:

Please, write another post on how Murray is a modern day Tim Henman.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Chloe said:
I do hope that you're kidding. I could have come up with the same post after reading a few NYT articles.
I think he has an opinion which doesn't deserve :retard:
I don't agree with everything, but some of the reaction here make me laugh as much. I mean, he would have stated that Rafa would be eliminated in the first week of USO, he would have received the same kind of treatment. Right? ;)

· Registered
70,116 Posts
Nadal beats Federer because he's not afraid of him. Federer is a God to many of his fellow players, which makes them lose to him by default. If they would stop fearing him, they would probably have better success. He'd still be #1, but not so dominant.

· #freeviktor
93,830 Posts
Chloe said:
So unimpressed by his game were you that you actually took away games that he won in protest :eek:

Please, write another post on how Murray is a modern day Tim Henman.

They are both British!!! You need more substantial information than that?! :p

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Clara Bow said:
Oh yes, Sir Pukes-a-lot.

I think he could really be a tough little guy in a couple of years. Still someone who needs to get better fitness, but he does have a really scrappy attitude and that could bode well for him. Have liked what I have seen of him on faster surfaces, but have yet to see him on Rebound Ace or clay. Is anyone familiar with how he plays on slower surfaces?
Clay is supposed to be his favourite surface, but I don't see it as where he will get his better results. He's another very good teenager with interesting change of pace. What a promising generation.

· Registered
27,997 Posts
vincayou said:
He thinks that the inclusion of Murray would necessitate the inclusion of Donald Young!

He called Murray a "modernized Tim Henman"!

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

I don't agree with everything, but some of the reaction here make me laugh as much. I mean, he would have stated that Rafa would be eliminated in the first week of USO, he would have received the same kind of treatment. Right? ;)
Dude, who is even talking about Rafa anymore?

HE THINKS MURRAY IS A MODERNIZED TIM HENMAN.

I can't handle it!

· Banned
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I appreciate the sport of tennis for what it is, a sport of the mind and body. Tennis is a game of chess. Strategy is everything. In this modern era, body plays a larger role it seems. I respect all styles of play, no matter how hard on the eye they are. This Gasquet kid is the real deal, he has it all. I watched him play and it's plain scary. I've never been a fan of any particular player, more a fan of their game.

It's not as if I am on any Gasquet, Monfils or Berdych bandwagon. I just state what I see, that's that.

I admire Federer's game much like anyone else, I also admired Bjorn Borg's game, though that was before my time, also admired the game of Rod Laver. Thank God for ESPN Classic and TTC.

I'd just like to set the record straight, has nothing to do with "hating" another player or any of that. I don't even know why Casta felt the need to bring up something that occured weeks ago, it's as if you're looking for trouble. This board has less drama than a few others and normally great tennis discussion. If you wish to take up something with me said on another board, well, post and we shall speak there. I'm not here to ignite a riot.

· Registered
55,930 Posts
Chloe said:
Rafa's just lucky that Roger is coincidentally always sick, injured, or cheated when they play. Lighting does strike three times, and don't you ever let anybody tell you otherwise.

Soon, Gasquet will win every match he plays 6-0 6-0, including those over Roger and Rafa.
Chloe said:
Somebody needs to balance out the Gasquettard who created the thread, yo.

Okay, maybe it was a Monfilstard.

Maybe just a general Frenchtard?

Either way.
Now, now... ;)

· Registered
55,930 Posts
vincayou said:
Yup. :)

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Chloe said:
He thinks that the inclusion of Murray would necessitate the inclusion of Donald Young!

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

I can't handle it!
OK, I agree, THAT was a bit silly to compare Henman to Murray. :)

· Registered
27,997 Posts
vincayou said:
OK, I agree, THAT was a bit silly to compare Henman to Murray. :)
Not that I was taking him seriously beforehand, but any chance of me ever taking this poster seriously in the future has been seriously threatened by that err!

But it did make for a snappy signature comment.

· Banned
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Chloe said:

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

I can't handle it!
Murray is a tad on the frail side, his game isn't very up to date. Quite old-fashioned, has many holes and is attackable. His speed and agility are not there. He doesn't show much "natural" talent or flare. A guy like, well, Andy Roddick could simply dismiss him in 60 minutes with elementary tactics.

JUST HIT THE BALL HARD.

He's too attackable, he's a defensive player, but doesn't have any speed ? I mean, he settles too much for a passive mode of play. I don't quite understand the hype of Murray, I've always seen it of a joke.

I can't get it with Murray.
He's not finesse, because he's not nearly efficient/precise enough. Doesn't show much raw ability.
He's not defensive, he's not fast enough and his body is frail, even if he tried to be on the defensive, may end up with his eye socket hanging out against a player like Safin, Roddick or Monfils. Guys that bang the ball.

So, what gives ? Technician ? Defensive strategy ? Power game ? Tim Henman worked with what little he was given, a 6'1" body on a 160lbs soaking wet frame. Murray is what comes about from years and years of refusing to lose the "country club mentality" of only allowing priviledged/wealthy Brits participate in sports such as Golf & Tennis.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.