Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which of these is most likely to pose a threat to Federer in the near future?

• Gael Monfils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Gasquet

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Rafael Nadal

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Thomas Berdych

Votes: 10 9.7%
21 - 40 of 127 Posts

· #freeviktor
93,830 Posts
Chloe said:
Also, what about Murray? I mean, it's a touch silly to discuss "young players" and leave him and Djokovic out. Even the always nice "other" option would have done.

The poll itself blows. So don't whine that this thread becomes about Rafa, when you asked for :devil:

You also know this person must be a great fan of Berdych's to not spell his first name correctly.

· Banned
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Merton said:
1. Gasquet has a good serve when he is healthy.
2. All youngsters will improve and adjust their games, it is not easy to predict how their matchup with Roger will evolve. For example, Monfils has obvious technical deficiencies on which he can work on, you cannot make the claim at this time that clay will always be his favourite surface.
3. Excuses and justifications for Roger's loses are easy to come, i can add to what you said that during the Berdych match in Athens it was windy, very hot and Roger felt like committing many unforced errors. According to this logic, Roger's recent match in Hamburg shows how their rivalry will evolve in the next 15 years, no need to consider the Athens match.
4. You forgot to mention Berdych alltogether.
I haven't watched enough of Berdych to really say much of anything about him, however, I did include him in the poll. I saw a glimpse of his talent against Agassi, he seems to be really hot or cold ... also lacking in the conditioning area ... took out Nadal also in Cincy, yes ? Quite a game he must have to take out Roger and his new so-called rival. I expect he may pose a bit of trouble in the future, but we shall see how it is handled.

Roger's genius talent can be neutralized with power and cleverness. Safin played a hell of a match in Australia, to this day, I still see flash backs of it and that defeat still haunts me ... almost as much as the between the leg shot Roger attempted on match point. :( This guy Berdych hits the ball clean and early, his mobility and fitness right now isn't where it should be ... so who knows until then ? The cool thing is, these kids can play on every surface ... this new batch coming out of Europe ... I'm really anticipating what's to come in the next few years ...

Djokovic's game, eh, I don't think can cause many problems. Also, Safin beat him 0-1-0 at the Aussie Open, don't hold your breath against Roger ....

· Registered
27,997 Posts
Djokovic's game, eh, I don't think can cause many problems. Also, Safin beat him 0-1-0 at the Aussie Open, don't hold your breath against Roger ....
Actually, no. He didn't. That score did not occur.

Berdych lost to Agassi 6-0 6-2 6-4 in Australia 2004, so I guess it's safe to say he won't have caused Roger any problems after that point.

· Banned
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Chloe said:
Also, what about Murray? I mean, it's a touch silly to discuss "young players" and leave him and Djokovic out. Even the always nice "other" option would have done.

The poll itself blows. So don't whine that this thread becomes about Rafa, when you asked for :devil:
Murray is a modernized version of Tim Henman, not very strong, plays the percentages & safe tennis. He might be affective if we were still using wooden tennis racquets and ancient equipment. Possibly could have been a factor in the days of Bill Tilden. I mentioned the players that have the physical & mental attributes, as well as games that could trouble Federer. The ability to adjust and adapt. Murray's serve is a tad spotty, his groundies lack pace and the old trick of using your oppositions pace against them is counterproductive against Fedex. He gives you really none. :)

If I were to mention Murray, that would be as questionable as mentioning Donald Young. It's just a tad silly to me, sounds like rubbish. :)

· Registered
70,116 Posts
myskinaLova said:
All players have had bad losses. The kid was 17 and playing the biggest match of his life.

And the score, my friend, was 0 2 and 1.

· Registered
27,997 Posts
myskinaLova said:
Murray is a modernized version of Tim Henman, not very strong, plays the percentages & safe tennis. He might be affective if we were still using wooden tennis racquets and ancient equipment.
Um.

If I were to mention Murray, that would be as questionable as mentioning Donald Young. It's just a tad silly to me, sounds like rubbish. :)
I can't believe that I'm dignifying this one with more of an "um"... but Murray is going to be top 100 very very soon. Donald Young is still a junior.

:retard:

· #freeviktor
93,830 Posts
myskinaLova said:
Murray is a modernized version of Tim Henman, not very strong, plays the percentages & safe tennis. He might be affective if we were still using wooden tennis racquets and ancient equipment. Possibly could have been a factor in the days of Bill Tilden. I mentioned the players that have the physical & mental attributes, as well as games that could trouble Federer. The ability to adjust and adapt. Murray's serve is a tad spotty, his groundies lack pace and the old trick of using your oppositions pace against them is counterproductive against Fedex. He gives you really none. :)

Erm, has Young won an ATP match yet?

I do believe Murray has.

I do not see how the two are equatable.

· Registered
4,979 Posts
Also, what about Murray?
Oh yes, Sir Pukes-a-lot.

I think he could really be a tough little guy in a couple of years. Still someone who needs to get better fitness, but he does have a really scrappy attitude and that could bode well for him. Have liked what I have seen of him on faster surfaces, but have yet to see him on Rebound Ace or clay. Is anyone familiar with how he plays on slower surfaces?

· Banned
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Castafiore said:
If I'm not mistaken, the thread starter already got banned from this place once before...whined about the ban on another board and he's now back in full glory

(am I right or am I right?)
Wow, this is lots of negativity simply because I feel opposed to Nadal's chances against Fedex.

In response to your question:
Thread deleted, maybe a tad inappropriate, implying that Nadal would be dismissed from the U.S Open within the first week.

I've really said or done nothing wrong, I didn't mention a few players in this thread because I didn't think they could trouble Roger ... if you feel different ... then I guess the purpose of the board would be to add your input ...

Berdych has beat big time players.
Monfils has the body and game.
Gasquet has the raw talent.

I just don't want to create hype and build up players that haven't done anything yet, shown any potential or could just end up being disappointments ... otherwise we will be here all day ... I don't care much for Djokovic, but that had little to do with me not including him. More so, the fact that I was not impressed by his game.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.