Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which of these is most likely to pose a threat to Federer in the near future?

• Gael Monfils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Gasquet

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Rafael Nadal

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Thomas Berdych

Votes: 10 9.7%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,762 Posts
1. Gasquet has a good serve when he is healthy.
2. All youngsters will improve and adjust their games, it is not easy to predict how their matchup with Roger will evolve. For example, Monfils has obvious technical deficiencies on which he can work on, you cannot make the claim at this time that clay will always be his favourite surface.
3. Excuses and justifications for Roger's loses are easy to come, i can add to what you said that during the Berdych match in Athens it was windy, very hot and Roger felt like committing many unforced errors. According to this logic, Roger's recent match in Hamburg shows how their rivalry will evolve in the next 15 years, no need to consider the Athens match.
4. You forgot to mention Berdych alltogether.

· Registered
9,762 Posts
Chloe said:
Untrue! Rafa was playing his best tennis ever, and Roger was hardly scraping by at 5% of his abilities. Furthermore, Rafa has light rays that shine from his eyes, so he didn't have to deal with the darker conditions like Roger did.

It's been a while ;)
Not to mention that in the match against Berdych, the wind was only blowing on Fed's part of the court.

· Registered
9,762 Posts
myskinaLova said:
To be truthful, I think you're nitpicking because of the Nadal comments, but very well.

Monfils stands 10 feet behind the baseline, that's exactly how he blew it to Djokovic, whom took advantage and came inside the baseline ... was able to carve up angle after angle. I haven't seen much of the young man (Djokovic), but after what Marat did to him ... the way he did it to him ... hmm ... not concerned. Berdych's movement could use major improvement, especially when you consider his age! Then again, maybe, when playing Agassi anyone gets flat-footed and starts moving terribly. Just wondering, what to do against Federer if your movement and conditioning is that spotty. I think he has a chance, good shot maker and returns with major pace, but spotty game, one minute he's making UFE after UFE. The next he's right back in your face. That's a description from a commentator, are you going to criticize that one as well ?

If you're looking for a fight, because maybe you don't feel you're getting the respect deserved ... talk to James Blake or Berdych, maybe THINGS would be different. The fact remains, I was dead on with Gasquet. He is a young stud and the rest remains the truth. Once Monfils decides to stop camping out behind the baseline and be more aggressive, use his excellent physique he will surpass moonballers / clay courters easily to challenge Roger.
So, your argument is that:

-Monfils plays way behind the baseline because that is how he played against Djokovic.
-Djokovic does not stand a chance in the future against Roger because he was blown of the course by Marat. I created a thread on GM, inspired by your thread, among others, where based on this line of reasoning i prove that the true challenger of Roger is Konstantnos Economidis.
-Berdych does not move well. Are you aware that Berdych has already won against Roger in an event called the 2004 Olympics that was ranked #2 on Roger's goals for 2004?

· Registered
9,762 Posts
Deivid23 said:
Let´s keep the quality of this thread up:

1- Gasquet: typical grinder who can run for 5 hours until his rival exhaustes. Pity he has no weapons at all

2- Monfils: serve&volley sensation. The new McEnroe.

3- Nadal: a culturist with a racket on his left hand. Typical ballbasher, needs to find a new brain in order to achieve sth.

4- Berdych: Also well-known as Ollie Rochus´ alter ego. He should improve his serve and add much more pace to his shots if he ever wants to crack top100.

Discuss
I disagree. Gasquet has the forehand of Federer, Monfils plays way behind the baseline like Puerta, Nadal plays like Ferrer, and Berdych plays like Kenneth Carlsen.

· Registered
9,762 Posts
vincayou said:
Everybody has a different opinion, it's really hard to predict the future for the youngsters. Especially as we don't know how they will develop and improve, technically, tactically, physically. Some might become lazy when the money will come in, etc.. At 17, when Agassi watched Sampras, he felt sorry for him, because he thought he wouldn't stand a chance to win anything in his career...

All I know is that Nadal is already there, he's the first ready to challenge Federer and has beaten him twice in 2 years, and he must be the only one. Gasquet is second only, and has improved A LOT in the last 6 months (and not only in the ranking). Berdych has had a rather calm year after his breakthrough, but he has won both Federer and Nadal in the last 12 months, consistency is the key for him. Monfils has exceptional athletism and is mentally strong, he has had a very impressive first year, even if he loses in 1st round here and there. Murray has been very good as well for his first year, he's just outside top 100 but seems suited for the big events and the drama. Djokovic is the youngest of them all, he didn't put big wins until the US Open (I think about Ancic), he seems to have his head on his shoulders and the talent which goes with it, a very good recipe.

Gasquet, Nadal, Berdych and Djokovic are, from what I have seen the guys who would be the worse match up for Federer. Federer would find out how to play Nadal sooner or later if Nadal wasn't improving as well. Nadal is unlucky though to have to face Federer, because he could have been a very worthy number 1 already.
I agree, apart from your very last sentence. The youngsters are lucky to face Federer, he provides such a high benchmark and they don't need a better incentive to improve their games. Nadal could indeed enter as #1, but long term he will become a better player if he responds to the Federer challenge. The same goes for the other players and i don't think that it is possible to predict who will be more successful because they develop differently. The fact that nadal is better now does not imply that he will be the better player in the long run.

· Registered
9,762 Posts
Xmanfan said:
Yes Berdych beat Rog at Olympics - but hey - the weather was diabolical.
This is a revelation: It is windy and hot in Athens in August. Moreover, it was windy only on Roger's side of the court, Tomas was not affected at all. By the way, just for future reference, are you sure that Berdych will never defeat Federer in the future?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.