Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which of these is most likely to pose a threat to Federer in the near future?

• Gael Monfils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Gasquet

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Rafael Nadal

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Thomas Berdych

Votes: 10 9.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Chloe said:
I do hope that you're kidding. I could have come up with the same post after reading a few NYT articles.
I think he has an opinion which doesn't deserve :retard:
I don't agree with everything, but some of the reaction here make me laugh as much. I mean, he would have stated that Rafa would be eliminated in the first week of USO, he would have received the same kind of treatment. Right? ;)

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Clara Bow said:
Oh yes, Sir Pukes-a-lot.

I think he could really be a tough little guy in a couple of years. Still someone who needs to get better fitness, but he does have a really scrappy attitude and that could bode well for him. Have liked what I have seen of him on faster surfaces, but have yet to see him on Rebound Ace or clay. Is anyone familiar with how he plays on slower surfaces?
Clay is supposed to be his favourite surface, but I don't see it as where he will get his better results. He's another very good teenager with interesting change of pace. What a promising generation.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Chloe said:
He thinks that the inclusion of Murray would necessitate the inclusion of Donald Young!

He called Murray a "modernized Tim Henman"!

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

Dude, who is even talking about Rafa anymore?

HE THINKS MURRAY IS A MODERNIZED TIM HENMAN.

I can't handle it!
OK, I agree, THAT was a bit silly to compare Henman to Murray. :)

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Everybody has a different opinion, it's really hard to predict the future for the youngsters. Especially as we don't know how they will develop and improve, technically, tactically, physically. Some might become lazy when the money will come in, etc.. At 17, when Agassi watched Sampras, he felt sorry for him, because he thought he wouldn't stand a chance to win anything in his career...

All I know is that Nadal is already there, he's the first ready to challenge Federer and has beaten him twice in 2 years, and he must be the only one. Gasquet is second only, and has improved A LOT in the last 6 months (and not only in the ranking). Berdych has had a rather calm year after his breakthrough, but he has won both Federer and Nadal in the last 12 months, consistency is the key for him. Monfils has exceptional athletism and is mentally strong, he has had a very impressive first year, even if he loses in 1st round here and there. Murray has been very good as well for his first year, he's just outside top 100 but seems suited for the big events and the drama. Djokovic is the youngest of them all, he didn't put big wins until the US Open (I think about Ancic), he seems to have his head on his shoulders and the talent which goes with it, a very good recipe.

Gasquet, Nadal, Berdych and Djokovic are, from what I have seen the guys who would be the worse match up for Federer. Federer would find out how to play Nadal sooner or later if Nadal wasn't improving as well. Nadal is unlucky though to have to face Federer, because he could have been a very worthy number 1 already.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
delsa said:
I really like him but...what is Gaël doing here?...He hasn't even played against Fed yet...:rolleyes: Leave him alone and let him progress quietly! Back off! ;)
Then ppl will say he's overhyped which is true but come on...Nobody of those who really follow him closely and care for him would put him in the "who could challenge Federer?" list today...Maybe later if he becomes more technical and use his brain more too etc...
He can't pretend to be in that list yet...:retard:
Where is Djokovic?! He should be there. :shrug:
And we could also extend that list with some other names of young promising players even if they didn't have the opportunity to face Fedex yet (but you put Monfils so i guess there is no problem with that...).
Monfils is a promising teenager, as much as Djokovic. I don't see any reason why one should be there and the other not.
Both of them might be challenging Federer, and I certainly hope that they will.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
delsa said:
OOOOPPPPSSSS! :eek: I thought this was a serious thread and i just read some parts of the last posts...:lol:
And i shouldn't have underestimated you that much... ;)
Now that i've read it i get it...

Rafa is the biggest threat to Federer on every surface except grass among these youngsters right now (and yet Fed is "unbeatable" on grass so the others don't stand much chance but still more than him...).

Gasquet's FH needs improvement and is not such a great shot. His serve which is far from being perfect is not mediocre though...Again someone who slept during the grass season?
His FH is blowing hot and cold, he can produce amazing winners from it, or pile up ue after ue. His cross court backhand is his best weapon, he can easily from defense to offense with it. Right hand players with a not so reliable backhand will find it hard to cope with it.

I think that Gasquet and Nadal are a match up which should produce amazing matchs.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Castafiore said:
And people wonder why somebody like Chloe has so much fun bumping up old threads.

This one is a great one to mark for a future bump-up occassion.
People speculating the hell out of this but we don't have enough information to predict how these youngsters will develop so...in MY opinion, a lot of this speculation about player A will develop like this, player B will do that is nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.
Time to dust off the old cliché: time will tell.
Maybe but it's much more interesting IMO than to analyse the last Roddick - Federer match.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.