Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the match with Nick Kyrgios, Tsitsipas threw a racquet and hurt his father's arm. His mother had a word with him. We also have Sascha yelling at his father in this tournament.

Difficult to see how a professional coaching relationship between a father and a son, or any family members, would work in the long term. It would be natural for a junior player but for an adult pro player it just seems to inhibit growth and cause unnecessary tension to a family relationship. Toni Nadal and Rafa Nadal are an exception though, obviously they matched very well given Rafa's character but even Rafa found something new in his serve since Carlos Moyas joined and replaced Toni.

·
justice for all
18,448 Posts
I think it's not just fathers. Mothers are not bad either. Judy and Tessa are top of mind mentions.

·
Registered
27,328 Posts
My parents didn't even bother turning up to my grade 14 pennant final.

·
Registered
767 Posts
In the match with Nick Kyrgios, Tsitsipas threw a racquet and hurt his father's arm. His mother had a word with him. We also have Sascha yelling at his father in this tournament.

Difficult to see how a professional coaching relationship between a father and a son, or any family members, would work in the long term. It would be natural for a junior player but for an adult pro player it just seems to inhibit growth and cause unnecessary tension to a family relationship. Toni Nadal and Rafa Nadal are an exception though, obviously they matched very well given Rafa's character but even Rafa found something new in his serve since Carlos Moyas joined and replaced Toni.
I think when they're adults they need a coach who isn't a family member. I agree that it inhibits growth and sort of infantilises the player. Yes it worked in Rafa's case but Toni went too far in terrorising Rafa when he was a child which had consequences for Rafa as an adult.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Looks like Tessa Shapovalov bailed just in time. :p

Pro athletes are under immense and constant pressure. A source of unconditional love and support, which is what family should be (in an ideal world, ofc), is a crucial part of their must have support network. Nobody can succeed without it. Like you said, mixing "business" and "pleasure" brings a lot of extra tension to relationships and affects family dynamics in a not so healthy way. So more often than not it won't work in the long run. To make it work will require very particular personalities and the ability to separate personal and professional most people simply don't possess.

Heck, quite often it doesn't even work in the short term. I happen to see many parents either coach or being very (overly) involved in their kids' training. I can't help but wonder how twisted their relationships will be in the future, should those kids still be serious about sports in several years, given they are so messed up in elementary and even preschool...

So yeah, as far as I am concerned, on recreational level - knock yourself out. Sports is a great if not the best way to spend quality time with your children. But if they think about making a career out of it - be safe rather than sorry and hire someone else for the job.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
Toni Nadal and Rafa Nadal are an exception though, obviously they matched very well given Rafa's character
There's no coincidence here. El Padrino basically created the monster from scratch (both tennis- and personality-wise). GOAT.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like Tessa Shapovalov bailed just in time. :p

Pro athletes are under immense and constant pressure. A source of unconditional love and support, which is what family should be (in an ideal world, ofc), is a crucial part of their must have support network. Nobody can succeed without it. Like you said, mixing "business" and "pleasure" brings a lot of extra tension to relationships and affects family dynamics in a not so healthy way. So more often than not it won't work in the long run. To make it work will require very particular personalities and the ability to separate personal and professional most people simply don't possess.

Heck, quite often it doesn't even work in the short term. I happen to see many parents either coach or being very (overly) involved in their kids' training. I can't help but wonder how twisted their relationships will be in the future, should those kids still be serious about sports in several years, given they are so messed up in elementary and even preschool...

So yeah, as far as I am concerned, on recreational level - knock yourself out. Sports is a great if not the best way to spend quality time with your children. But if they think about making a career out of it - be safe rather than sorry and hire someone else for the job.
Monsi you could write an essay on it and I would eat it up.

I have personally come across a coach of a junior player and he complained that parents always get in the way when he's doing his job. It's very common (not only in sports) that parents think they know what is best for their children when they could let someone else do a better job.

Reactions: Monsi

·
22,407 Posts
How do you figure that? He had a string of coaches that for various reasons didn't pan out. Denis knew and could articulate what he needed, and together they brought in Youzhny. Then she stepped aside. Exemplary if you ask me.
Shapo was stagnating at one point. It was clear he needed some new airs. He improved once she step aside and Youzhny came in. I agree what she did was exemplary though, she knew Denis and her wasn’t working out and brought in someone else and she step aside.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Monsi you could write an essay on it and I would eat it up.

I have personally come across a coach of a junior player and he complained that parents always get in the way when he's doing his job. It's very common (not only in sports) that parents think they know what is best for their children when they could let someone else do a better job.
I probably could write an essay or maybe even a book on the subject. Not sure MTF is the right target audience though. :p

You're right, it is very common for parents to get in the way of coaches/teachers even doctors.
In sports when it comes to professional decisions, it's half as bad. So a kid doesn't get the most optimum coaching - not a huge deal, because the chance he or she will end up as a pro is minuscule anyway. The real tragedy is when those kids have the (usually) wrong perception of being valued by their parents based on success or the lack of it. Seeing a 6yo kid cry not because he lost or failed a task, but because he thinks he disappointed or upset his parents is the saddest thing ever. And I've seen that quite a few times.

Reactions: clearwaters

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just can’t root for players who do these type of things. They‘re privileged, and while tennis means the world for them and emotions are all fine, there is a line nobody should cross. Tsitsipas, Zverev and Kyrgios do it all the time and I hate that kids might think it‘s acceptable what they are doing. And yes, these incidents have to do with proper education and nothing else.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
How do you figure that? He had a string of coaches that for various reasons didn't pan out. Denis knew and could articulate what he needed, and together they brought in Youzhny. Then she stepped aside. Exemplary if you ask me.
Thank you Denis denis.
Bashing Denis's mom is a sport of the poorly-informed here.
She got him to an incredible level by 17 years of age, and then he started using other coaches, many of whom made little difference, till Youzny.
Denis was interviewed recently and when asked about how his aggressive game has become so effective, credited his mom for encouraging him to stick with it.

·
|
16,185 Posts
Hingis got along with her mother quite impressively (apart from 1999 Wimbledon when Hingis didn't train after her French Open disappointment), despite having the closest parent-player relationship in tennis history....

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Father son tennis coach relations rarely work, Tsitsipas and Zverev are two rare examples and both may have reached their ceiling. Harrison, Spadea, Agassi, Young all failed miserably.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts