Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a conference call at the Australian Open, Rod Laver explained why achieving the Calendar Grand Slam - winning the four Majors in the same season - is difficult. Laver achieved this historical feat in 1962 and 1969. "I know (Novak) Djokovic got close, he had three legs in but not in the same year but in a row," said Laver.

"I think (Rafael) Nadal and Djokovic have got to be in a position to win them all. I know that there are some criteria, when you look at the US -- not the US, but the French, and thinking, you know, they're all going for it.

But guess who you got to beat? You got to beat Nadal in France, and he's won nine in a row or ten in a row now. You can win all the others, but you're not going to win the French. That's some of the things that happen in this world now."

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Rafael_Nadal/66292/you-can-t-win-the-french-open-against-rafael-nadal-says-rod-laver/

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Didn't Rafa lose twice in FO to Novak and Soldering? It is not that he never lost

·
Registered
574 Posts
Didn't Rafa lose twice in FO to Novak and Soldering? It is not that he never lost
Shhh... Have some respect for the old champion :laugh2:

In all seriousness, this is Rod Laver, the competitor thinking out loud. If Novak beats Rafa at the FO again, he will be on his way to equaling one of the few records that Laver still holds. :bowdown:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
I'm so sad Soderling didn't get to have a career....
Sorry for that but honestly his career is not bad at all. Being a top 10 players for some years, won some titles and got to beat the all time great Rafa and Fed a few times. Now, you have a new favourite Kei to cheer for so don't be sad any more :hug: Y know I don't have a new favourite yet, so I will be emptied and devastated at the day Rafa retired :tears:

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Novak Slam in 2015-2016 was more impressive than Laver's 1962 + 1969 combined.

A) Laver's 1962 Slam wasn't against the best players. He turned pro in 1963 and Rosewall was better than him at this time.
B) Even in 1969, he mostly only played white anglo-saxons on the tour. Someone like fucking Cilic or like Berdych years ago prob woulda won the whole slam if all they were going up against were US and Aussie dipshits.
C) Novak did it while two ATGs were still active (even if not at their best in those years), and against a deeper field overall.
D) Novak did it with more distractions during this era. Like cheating on his hot wife.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Plot twist: Grandpa becomes a RAFA tard to prevent Novak from CYGS. Nothing is impossible when it comes to this guy.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Plot twist: Grandpa becomes a RAFA tard to prevent Novak from CYGS. Nothing is impossible when it comes to this guy.
This looks like what is happening here

Laver that old competitive dog, he's still got the fire, he wants to have his records protected too

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
TBF, the guy is 80 years old. It's a good day when you remember your name at that age :grin2:
That's why you sew your name on underwear.

On topic: Laver's right tho. No one ever won against Nadal in final of FO, and only 2 times when he lost there, people who beat him came up short and didn't win the tournament.

Beating Nadal in FO final might be the most difficult achievement in tennis.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
That's why you sew your name on underwear.

On topic: Laver's right tho. No one ever won against Nadal in final of FO, and only 2 times when he lost there, people who beat him came up short and didn't win the tournament.

Beating Nadal in FO final might be the most difficult achievement in tennis.
:happy:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
It gets even funnier if the alzheimer guy suddenly notices the name on his underwear and wonders "Who the hell is that and why is it on my underwear? Wait, is that even my underwear?".
I call upon the powers of British humor to make a sketch out of this:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Laver knows that the FO is invalid when Nadal is injured. Wise man.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rod Laver is trying to keep Novak Djokovic out of pressure.
Now - the pressure is on Nadal because he is declared "unbeatable"
Rod Laver is a very wise, experienced, smart guy.
In difference to the other meetings with Nadal at RG, now Novak Djokovic has this title and he is free of that pressure to win career Grand Slam and this was his main problem - he had put pressure on himself. That's why he lost not only to Nadal but to Wawrinka too. Now the narrative is different and Djokovic has all the weapons to beat Nadal on RG, no one is "unbeatable"..;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts