Mens Tennis Forums banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
All from the big 3 give their absolute best at the Olympics. All from the big 3 are devastated when they lose. The reason why they don't have Murray's Olympic success is because they couldn't handle the intensity, which is higher than on slams. Which means that Murray maybe has something which the big 3 do not. But Nadal and Djokovic still have 2 more Olymics to play, so we'll see.
Yeah Murray has something they don't have, I'm sure all kinds of players have something Big 3 don't. But they have all kinds of things Murray does not, not one thing. So big deal.
Nothing to do with intensity, Murray result, but as follows:

Olympics is not the same feild as a slam, there are usually some missing.
And BO5 only in final, as i recall.

Not as competitive as a slam at all.
Also, once every four years creates a certain randomness to the result, in a way that once every year (slam) does not.

There's been enough discussion on this forum about what separates Murray from Big 3, it's so obvious, not even worth stating again.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Yeah Murray has something they don't have, I'm sure all kinds of players have something Big 3 don't. But they have all kinds of things Murray does not, not one thing. So big deal.
Nothing to do with intensity, Murray result, but as follows:

Olympics is not the same feild as a slam, there are usually some missing.
And BO5 only in final, as i recall.

Not as competitive as a slam at all.
Also, once every four years creates a certain randomness to the result, in a way that once every year (slam) does not.

There's been enough discussion on this forum about what separates Murray from Big 3, it's so obvious, not even worth stating again.
I already explained everything, but here it is briefly again:

All the best players play and give their absolute best. All the mugs play 110%. Reasons for that are explained bellow
Intensive bo3 is harder than bo5, because there is no room for bs - you got to be top notch both physically and mentally from the start
Players play not only for themselves but for their countries as well, which adds to competitiveness / intensity. Every 4 year = even more intensity and pressure, which means Olympics are easily more competitive than slams by far
There is no randomness in the modern Olympics - Nadal won 1, Murray won 2. I talk about what Olympics are now, not what they used to be

And speaking of Murray, he clearly didn't prove himself to be as good as the big 3 in general, but when it comes to the highest intensity and pressure - he proved that he has what it takes to win, and that should be appreciated more.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,915 Posts
Standards are being set spontaneously by players. Now everybody not just play Olympics, but play the best they can. So for that reasons and for the reasons mentioned in OP, Olympics have emerged as the most intensive and high pressure event.
I am not going sift through 11 more pages of this, but like half of the top players who had qualified for the Rio Olympics didn't even bother showing up. Here are the Top 20 players who didn't play:

Federer
Wawrinka
Raonic
Berdych
Thiem
Gasquet
Kyrgios
Feli Lopez
Isner
Tomic

Yes, I'm counting Fed who was injured. But still that's 10 out of the Top 20 who didn't show up. The women's field was similarly depleted with Halep, Azarenka, Cibulkova, and Pliskova among the absentees. This should give you an idea of how much players actually cared about the event

This Olympics stuff is a Nadal fan argument that would have evaporated if Fed won an OSG. Just like the Davis Cup

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I am not going sift through 11 more pages of this, but like half of the top players who had qualified for the Rio Olympics didn't even bother showing up. Here are the Top 20 players who didn't play:

Federer
Wawrinka
Raonic
Berdych
Thiem
Gasquet
Kyrgios
Feli Lopez
Isner
Tomic

Yes, I'm counting Fed who was injured. But still that's 10 out of the Top 20 who didn't show up. The women's field was similarly depleted with Halep, Azarenka, Cibulkova, and Pliskova among the absentees. This should give you an idea of how much players actually cared about the event

This Olympics stuff is a Nadal fan argument that would have evaporated if Fed won an OSG. Just like the Davis Cup
Players who didn't show up but weren't injured don't have what it takes to win anyway, and they know it as well so that's why they didn't bother - or, should I say, didn't have the guts showing up and representing themselves and their countries.

The important thing is that all the best were there - Murray, Nadal, Del Potro who played better than in slams, and Djokovic who cried for the 2nd time after Olympic defeat like never before and after. All of this is what count and show how astonishingly important Olympics today are.

And "this Olympic stuff" is also an unbiased tennis fan argument who is not yet another slamtard.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,915 Posts
Players who didn't show up but weren't injured don't have what it takes to win anyway, and they know it as well so that's why they didn't bother - or, should I say, didn't have the guts showing up and representing themselves and their countries.

The important thing is that all the best were there - Murray, Nadal, Del Potro who played better than in slams, and Djokovic who cried for the 2nd time after Olympic defeat like never before and after. All of this is what count and show how astonishingly important Olympics today are.

And "this Olympic stuff" is also an unbiased tennis fan argument who is not yet another slamtard.
How come these players who "don't have what it takes to win" still try to play in Slams?

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Stefanos Tsitsipas: "I want to play the Olympics, it's a lifetime dream. It will be amazing and I will be proud to play there."

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Interviews/76909/stefanos-tsitsipas-playing-olympics-is-my-lifetime-dream-/

It's true, the Olympics are more and more significant in tennis. I don't see players cry when they lose in other less significant tournaments like Djokovic did when he lost in the Olympics.

Who could have imagined Federer crying after losing the 2009 Australian Open back when the Australian Open was basically a local tournament few people visited from abroad? It would have seemed very odd in 1973 for Federer to cry just because he lost in the finals of the Australian Open but in 2009 we all expected Roger to cry in that situation.

Things change.

·
28,561 Posts
This thread is stupid. GOAT includes everything. One thing like this doesn’t matter.

Should be interesting seeing the GOAT wars restarting though.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Things indeed change. Pandemics happened and ruined Tokyo 2020. It will hardly take place in 2021. Who knows when the vaccine will come and when the things are going to get back to normal. Who knows when will the next Olympics take place.

So can we now make the exception for this generation because of this pandemics? Can the player now be the GOAT without the Olympic gold after all? And how much already won golds since 2008 will hold weight in the GOAT race?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Olympics is a periodic non ATP 'prestige' event held every 4 years involving no ranking but only those interested in competing. WTF is an ATP event held annually based on rankings of top players amassed over the year. Pretty obvious which is more significant.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Laver doesn't have OG.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Say what you will about Federer, he has an Olympic Silver in singles, an Olympic Gold in doubles. Every single significant player, save Wilander, Nadal and Courier have a WTF win. Everyone has a final.

How many have OG? Sampras doesn't have an Olympic Gold. Aside from Wilander, and Nadal every player with more than 5 slams won WTF at least once.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Did Sampras ever care about Roland Garros? Oh well........

Anyway, he ain't a GOAT contender either.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts