Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The problem with the including the Olympics in a career assessment is that it's only held every four years. While it makes for great prestige, it also means that there are many plausible scenarios in which a top tennis player, or player of any sport for that matter, won't be at his peak for one, two, or three Olympics - basically the entirety of one's productive tennis career. Add to that the arbitrary choice of surface and it becomes even less indicative of someone's career standing... Is winning the Olympics an important career achievement? Most definitely. Is it more important than winning slams? No. I would definitely rank it above a single WTF title, that's for sure. Nadulltards could even stretch this argument by making the case that it's equal to four WTF titles, because it's on one hand most comparable to the WTF title and on the other hand you hold it for four years unlike the WTF title. All things equal in the grand slam department, and with roughly the same WTF and M1000 results, an Olympic gold would be a natural tiebreaker...

I agree. In typical Olympic sports, the Olympics is far more important than any other tournament. So everybody aims to be in great form during the Olympics. In tennis, Slams are more important, so many players may not be optimally prepared for the Olympics. For example, Federer in 2016. If the Olympics were the most important event on the calendar, he wouldn't have played Wimbledon just before.

Nevertheless, the Olympics is surely well above Tour Finals, and close to a Slam in importance. Murray is underestimated because of this, I think. Everybody always mentions his 3 Slams, but in my mind he has sort of 5 "Major" titles.

And also, Olympic gold in doubles and mixed is quite important, compared to these events at Slams, because Olympic gold medals are highly valued in sports overall, regardless of the event. But obviously they do not replace a missing gold in singles, as some posters always claim in GOAT/achievement threads.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You can be the GOAT even without CGS i.e. without AO or RG or USO title (Wimb. not included), or without WTF or without 3-4 masters, let alone an Olympic gold.

You can have a triple CGS and double Golden Masters with let's say 19 slams, but player with let's say 23 slams and similar WTF/masters resume without CGS and Golden Masters would be the clear goat IMO, although I'd rather have my favorite player amassing several slams less but with a double CGS and Golden Masters.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Best of 3 can never be compared to Slams... Zverev might end up with 3 Golds after all.
Olympics are not an ordinary best of 3 - they are intense.

As the matter of fact, when you have such an intense event, winning it in bo3 is harder than in bo5, because you don't have as much time to get back in the match - you must play instantly the best you can, there is no room for bs. So in case of the Olympics, bo3 is the bigger mental and physical test than bo5 (in term of intensity and strength, not endurance).

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Comedy gold:
- GOAT has to be injury free for Olympics
- GOAT has to know where to be born so his country isn't banned
- GOAT has to know to be born after 1970, ideally later when AO counts too
- GOAT has to know where to cry more

One more for you:
GOAT must have great skills in doubles too. Otherwise he is just one trick pony good only in singles called GOATIS (goat in singles). So having OG in doubles is must have for being overall GOAT. :weirdo:

Everything was said, this is just poor trolling on old subject.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Comedy gold:

One more for you:
GOAT must have great skills in doubles too. Otherwise he is just one trick pony good only in singles called GOATIS (goat in singles). So having OG in doubles is must have for being overall GOAT. :weirdo:

So doubles gold is actually more valuable than singles gold? Speaking of comedy gold...

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Comedy gold:

One more for you:

GOATIS... Good one. Needs to be added in the "OAT files", which includes the regular GOAT, and BOAT, but also a newer one in COAT (consistent of all time), and the likes of MSOAT (most sensitive of all time) and FFOAT (finals failure of all time). Who is GOATSE is also still unresolved...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So doubles gold is actually more valuable than singles gold? Speaking of comedy gold...
It wasn't that hard to understand...clearly not for you, troll. :zzz:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Olympics are not an ordinary best of 3 - they are intense.

As the matter of fact, when you have such an intense event, winning it in bo3 is harder than in bo5, because you don't have as much time to get back in the match - you must play instantly the best you can, there is no room for bs. So in case of the Olympics, bo3 is the bigger mental and physical test than bo5 (in term of intensity and strength, not endurance).
I suppose winning a half marathon is more difficult than winning a full marathon?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I suppose winning a half marathon is more difficult than winning a full marathon?
In half marathon your running distance is shorter, but you have to run faster than in marathon in order to win, so it's different. Also, tennis is way more complex and technical sport than running, which means it has a strong mental factor in it, and intensive bo3 gives you a lot less room for lapses in play.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's really pointless to discuss this. Each of us tennis fans attaches a different value to the olympic games. The players, on the other hand, take the olympic games very seriously. In olympic years this tournament is certainly one of the most important on the calendar.

I personally believe that the value of the Olympic singles gold is about the same as winning the World Tour Finals. But there are dozens of arguments for seeing it differently.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
@masterclass found an interesting quote from Djokovic:

Novak Djokovic believes winning Olympic Gold would be arguably the biggest achievement of his career.

"It would be ranked as one of the highest if not the highest achievement that I would have in my career," said Djokovic.

"The Olympic Games is much larger than tennis, much larger than you. The first thing I felt when I stepped into the village was that incredible active energy. It inspires you and motivates you to give your best."

Respectfully,
masterclass
This further confirms what I've been saying all along: Olympics > slam.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
The fact that Murray has 2 and both Fed and Djok none, already tells you how meaningful OG is.

It has some meaning of course, but it doesn't make or break a GOAT>

But hey why not??? Nadal will be GOAT then. because goat absolutely must have career slam. OG is just like an accessory.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
The fact that Murray has 2 and both Fed and Djok none, already tells you how meaningful OG is.

It has some meaning of course, but it doesn't make or break a GOAT>

But hey why not??? Nadal will be GOAT then. because goat absolutely must have career slam. OG is just like an accessory.
All from the big 3 give their absolute best at the Olympics. All from the big 3 are devastated when they lose. The reason why they don't have Murray's Olympic success is because they couldn't handle the intensity, which is higher than on slams. Which means that Murray maybe has something which the big 3 do not. But Nadal and Djokovic still have 2 more Olymics to play, so we'll see.

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
The great Steffi Graf is the only player, male or female, in the history of the sport to have won the Golden Slam - The 1988 Grand Slam (calendar year by definition) and the 1988 Olympics Gold medal.

She is obviously the GOAT, no? :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I would keep men's and women's GOAT discussion separate, because the competition and even the sport itself is not the same.

And yes, that Steffi's achievement is certainly great and she is certainly the GOAT candidate among women.

141 - 160 of 192 Posts