Mens Tennis Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I consider olympics an important event. But like WTF, it lacks the surface variety. I dont think we gonna have an olympics on clay, and another on grass outside of uk.

Djokovic cried in 2016, and said in april if he could change a result in all his carreer, it would be against Murray in 2012.

I think olympics have a high relevance in tennis nowadays (2008 forward) but not necessarily you need to have an OG to be considered the goat.

I think, nowadays, an OG have more value than a masters or wtf title, but not sure if it has more value than carreer masters (djokovic) or 10 time same master (nadal).

The slams will always be the first thing that counts. But if the counting is close like now, then we can debate other titles/achievements.

Just for the records, ive already attended a future, a Challenger, a Davis cup and an olympics until today. And I can say nothing compares to olympics by very very far. (Although I love the rawness of a future qualifying but for other reasons haha)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think, nowadays, an OG have more value than a masters or wtf title, but not sure if it has more value than carreer masters (djokovic)
Is it possible that you actually said this? You are not sure about this?? If someone has 1 single olimpic gold and the other has ALL the masters, all 9 of them.. you are not sure which one is more valuable??? Damn, what's wrong with this people...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Olympics don't mean anything. It's every four years, and if one is injured (like Novak was in 2016), it means they have to wait another four years (or five, in this instance) to try to win it again. It's so much worse not being able to win Miami or ATP Finals or Shanghai or Paris despite having so many chances to do so.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
As posted earlier the only other 5x+ slam winner without a YEC is Wilander, and Nadal. Pretty illustrious company.

Reactions: AskTheQuestion

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
He is not a GOAT candidate but back on topic, don't think a gold medal in singles is mandatory to be a GOAT candidate, it is a hole in a resume though, just like an ATP finals missing.
I've heard it all now. Laver not a GOAT candidate?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I've heard it all now. Laver not a GOAT candidate?
Let's be real. With all due respect to Laver, he may have double calendar year grand slam (CYGS), but a player who played tennis 50 years ago in 1969 will not be able to compete with the players who played tennis in 2019. The fitness, athleticism, work ethic, competitive spirit, etc. of Big 3 is unprecedented and is higher than the players of 1969 and earlier. 50 years is too big of a gap to compare with the players of current era.

The GOAT is, for sure, one of Big 3.

·
Banned
693 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Let's be real. With all due respect to Laver, he may have double calendar year grand slam (CYGS), but a player who played tennis 50 years ago in 1969 will not be able to compete with the players who played tennis in 2019. The fitness, athleticism, work ethic, competitive spirit, etc. of Big 3 is unprecedented and is higher than the players of 1969 and earlier. 50 years is too big of a gap to compare with the players of current era.

The GOAT is, for sure, one of Big 3.
True that u can’t properly compare players of different eras but give that guy the same racquet technology, fitness regimens & medical tech. of today & then let’s see. Same with Borg, who was on the verge of setting records galore (if he had right team) like big 3 around them. So it’s all relative to eras.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The fitness, athleticism, work ethic, competitive spirit, etc. of Big 3 is unprecedented and is higher than the players of 1969 and earlier.
Even if this would be true (doubtful, because why for example can't former players be just as competitive?), current players have a lot more options and resources to prolong their careers based on modern sports science.

Earlier generations weren't allowed to play all events for a while, had to drive themselves to the tournaments and didn't have a lot of staff members. Now, top players use private jets for them and their coaches, doctor, physio, manager and so on to fly everywhere they want to.

50 years is too big of a gap to compare with the players of current era.
The reason why I think goat talks are meaningless.

Reactions: Phillo
181 - 193 of 193 Posts