Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will allow myself to open a thread after Rafa's win.

Lets assume that you got a job as the consultant / coach with Rafa's team. And you have to present his team with a straggly and an executable plan with a sole purpose to reach GOAThood . (undefinable I know - so lets make it is winning #17)

What will be your strategy be and how will you implement the same.

Mine :
Tactical Playstyle :
1> Serve - Improve the speeds.
2> Change to more aggressive.
3> Less running after unreturnables. Top players nowadays will eventually get the point once you are off balance anyway so why waste energy in extending a rally.
4> Less top spin - more flat shots. Use Top spin only in clutch points to variate and also have bigger margins.

Strategy
1> Focus more on fitness. More cardio and endurance needed.
2> Stop playing 500s and only play Grass 500s .
3> Wimbledon 14 - Just ride out 1st week unpredictability by using a combi of special Serve, agrresive return play rather than baselining.
4> Nothing to say about USO 14 except pray for a good draw. Rest he is already doing.
5> Skip / Tank WTF and some masters towards the end of the season (you aint winning them anyway) - and train entirely for AUS 15 (prefereably in AUS )
6> Skip / Tank some clay Masters - play only Rio and Madrid at full tilt. Win RG 15
7> Pray for a last Wimby 15 push

This will give him a slight chance to reach 17 and that too only if at least one from Wimby and USO land on his lap.

Mainly for Rafa fans but other level headed members can weigh in as well if they want to contribute positively.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Make those slam finals where you face the automatic bye Djokovic

·
Your visions will happen
47,127 Posts
Stay healthy and see what's going on

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Take 7 months vacation till AO15, recharge and attempt another run like in 2013.

Seriously, if he follows his schedule till the end of 2014 and if he doesn't take few months off, I don't think he can maintain this level

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
he will never win another slam. the last one was a fluke, and nadaltards should be happy with that. 14 is excellent.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
he will never win another slam. the last one was a fluke, and nadaltards should be happy with that. 14 is excellent.
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
1. Tank most tournaments outside GS, except clay

2. Play SA clay after AO, skip Miami or IW

3. 100% intensity on clay season

4. See what's going on in 2017

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Take 6 months off, switch weight on the uninjured knee/back while hitting backhand/serve, and vamos your way back to CYGS and 18 slams.

All to easy.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any strategy to keep him healthy. His game is fine. He just needs to be healthy entering the grand slam tournaments. Whether that requires a change in his game or more time off, I dunno. But his health is the key issue.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Rafa needs matches -OK.
But he has to try to stay healthy, plan his schedule veeeeeery cleverly . Dump most of the indoor stupid events, play mostly clay and hard (but less). don't worry about no. 1 spot, focus on GS.
He is aggressive enough when needed, sunday final was proof.
He needs to serve better to win easy points but that is related to his health.
So basically his health and schedule

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
He has a conflict. To take time and heal he needs to take time and to take time he will loose his nº1 ranking.

Then there is Nole and his baby. How will this afect Nole how many tournaments will he skip?Will he be more driven or softer?

We dont know.

Rafa needs to skip IW and focus on Miami. Play MC, MADRIR AND ROME. While skiping Barcelona.

Grass season take week off after RG nad play next grass tournament.

HC skip Canada and play Cincinatti. Skip Beijing and Shanghai and focus on WTF. He could play Davis cup.

·
Registered
468 Posts
He's good off both wings so I would suggest he makes his opponents run around the court instead of grinding them down by hitting it straight back to them (a bit of a habit for Nadal). With his baseline skills, accuracy, movement, power off both wings and ability to play long rallies, he could easily tire out his opponent inside 2 sets by continuously pulling them from one side of the court to the other. It's an old and simple tactic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts