Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this kid? Apparently he is an IMG guy out of Japan, and in only his 2nd professional tournament at 16 years old he has flat-out destroyed all of his opponents in the US Futures 28 main draw in Alabama. The most games that he has given up has been five, which he gave up to both Nicolas Devilder and Obradovic. He's set to play Jason Kubler in the finals, but either way you have to think that this guy is an unbelievably bright star to be manning up this much right out of the gate.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
I've never heard of this kid, how tall is he? Seems most players from Asia are hampered by height - Nishikori is only 178cm. It would be great if a promising Asian player was around 185-188 in order to have a decent serve.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
He did lose a set to good ole' Galloway in the qualie draw.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
He was born Sept. 27, 1995, so he turned 16 only a month ago.
He's training at the Bollettieri's on the Morita Foundation fund, the same as Kei.
He was the finalst at an ITF G4 tournament in the Netherlands last year, but he's still unranked.
He didn't look tall in the photo I saw of him, but that was from last year so he can still grow.
I don't know much about him either really but he's definitely someone to watch.

There're also a few other Japanese guys coming up, like Taro Daniel (18 y.o., 188cm, based in Spain) and Kaichi Uchida (17 y.o., also at the IMG academy, he was 180cm when he was 16.)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea as to his height, but would also be curious to know. What's even wilder is that he just turned 16 last month. Nishikori (who was unbelievably hyped, and with good reason) did win a future just before his 17th birthday, but that was against far worse competition in Mexico, with much less impressive scorelines and in Nishikori's 7th main draw appearance. Still, that was an incredible effort by Nishikori and was a great sign of the talent that he possessed.

What this kid is doing this week is incredible. You simply don't come out and drill the likes of Devilder and Obradovic in only your 2nd tournament right after turning 16.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There're also a few other Japanese guys coming up, like Taro Daniel (18 y.o., 188cm, based in Spain) and Kaichi Uchida (17 y.o., also at the IMG academy, he was 180cm when he was 16.)
Another young guy with decent size is Yasutaka Uchiyama (born 1992 / size according to ITF 183 cm). He has just won a futures title in Australia this week.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I looked up his name, and found another interesting name, Daniel Guccione. Could he ever live up to the overwhelming expectations?

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Kei was always the prototype tip of the iceberg. Obviously he still has loads of time to become a great player. But there are bound to be numerous kids at various age groups set to start the rise of the Japanese (and possibly some other asian countries). Maybe this is the beginning? Well, nice performance for this 16 year old.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Kei was always the prototype tip of the iceberg. Obviously he still has loads of time to become a great player. But there are bound to be numerous kids at various age groups set to start the rise of the Japanese (and possibly some other asian countries). Maybe this is the beginning? Well, nice performance for this 16 year old.
Yeah I feel the majority of tennis pro's will be Asian within 10 years.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I wanted to open a thread about this player . Is very interesting .

At 16 years 6-2 6-3 vs. Devilder on clay :eek::eek::eek:

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Impressive indeed. We'll have to wait and see what this kid can do, but that's a good start.

·
Registered
68,421 Posts
wow, i didnt know him but he seems really promising :hearts:
oh and taro daniel should become a top 100 in a couple of years or three...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
USA F28 FINAL : Kubler - Nishioka 6-3 6-2

·
Registered
68,421 Posts
at 16 y o it is

·
Registered
68,421 Posts
he lost to kubler, but still great week for him