Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aussie Open

With the Big 4 making up another semifinal all by themselves -- they have occupied 24 out of 28 seminfal spots in the last 7 slams - the Yokozunatennis rankings get even more one-sided and depleted by other competitors. Now there isn't even a Sekiwake (Junior Champion I) any longer. After the Aussie Open the line-up will be as follows:

Yokozuna (Grand Champion): Federer, Nadal, Djokovic
Ozeki (Champion): Murray
Sekiwake (Junior Champion I): none
Komusubi (Junior Champion II): Berdych (ex-Ozeki), Tsonga (ex-Sekiwake)

There is more action in the ladies' rankings, where Petra Kvitova has just secured promotion to the 30st female Ozeki of the open era. Victoria Azarenka could become the 31st if she wins the tournament.

More, as always, at the link in my signature.

P.S.: I'll post all updates for 2012 in this thread.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So Federer remains Y2E. Murray is the sole O (=OE), there is no S, Tsonga is KE, Berdych KW.

The only remaining ranking question is who will have the prestigious Y1E spot after this tournament, and who will be Y1W. Murray can hand Y1E to Nadal tonight.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Henry, what will happen if Novak Djokovic wins the French Open...?

I ask because both Nadal and Federer have Dai-Yokozuna status due to their 10+ Grand Slam efforts... but what happens when someone wins the Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam or Calendar Year Grand Slam...?

These achievements both Nadal and Federer were unable to attain, but sure it would be an achievement worthy of as much recognition as Dai-Yokozuna status, perhaps worthy of even more acclaim in some circles..

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Henry, what will happen if Novak Djokovic wins the French Open...?

I ask because both Nadal and Federer have Dai-Yokozuna status due to their 10+ Grand Slam efforts... but what happens when someone wins the Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam or Calendar Year Grand Slam...?

These achievements both Nadal and Federer were unable to attain, but sure it would be an achievement worthy of as much recognition as Dai-Yokozuna status, perhaps worthy of even more acclaim in some circles..
Fast Clay:

thanks. To be honest I haven't thought about it yet. But in Ozumo winning 4 (or 6) in a row alone would not make a rikishi a Dai-Yokozuna; so if one maintains this standard here, Djokovic could not obtain the title after the French. Also Serena wasn't given the "Dai" title after winning the Serena Slam as a young girl - she got there only as a mature player after sinning 10 slams.

And it seems better like this. Yokzouna (="Grand Champion") is the highest rank, and Djokovic already has this. Dai-Yokozuna ("Great" Grand Champion) is not a rank but a title for the grand emincences of the sport, the once-in-a-decade champions in terms of achivements and consistency. Thus, one needs to be an outstanding Yokozuna for a while before being considered for this (and Djokovic became a Yokozuna only at Winbledon 2011 - French 2012 for Dai-Yokzouna would seem too short a period. In general, "rushing" titles tends to devalue them.

This said, if Djokovic continues winning throughout the calendar year (i.e. gets a clean grand slam this year), calling him "Dai" already after 8 rather than 10 slam titles is arguably appropriate.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not much action in higher sanyaku rankings - the Yokozuna Federer, Djokovic and Nadal reign supreme, behind them long-term Ozeki Andy Murray. David Ferrer and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga have managed to edge out Sekiwake ranks (that both have already held earlier in their careers), and then - nothing. The top dogs are just too dominant.

Yokozuna (Grand Champion): Federer (Dai), Djokovic, Nadal (Dai)
Ozeki (Champion): Murray
Sekiwake (Junior Champion I): Ferrer, Tsonga
Komusubi (Junior Champion II): none

There is more action in the ladies' game, with a resurgent Dai-Yokozuna Serena Williams, a soon retiring Yokozuna Kim Clijsters, no less than four Ozeki - Azarenka, Kvitova, Sharapova, Stosur (the last two kadoban) - and two brand new Sekiwake in Agnieszka Radwanska and Angelique Kerber.

More, as always, at the link in my signature.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this was Sumo, Federer would've thrown the match today so there'd be a home winner. ;)
This is why I like Yokozuna-tennis - no thrown matches to help to kachi-kochi or home titles, no intransparent fiddling with the banzuke, no Yokozuna deliberation committees. Clear rules and (I find) interesting outcomes.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts