Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafa wins his 13th Roland Garros. Nobody would surprise this but it surprised me a lot how he did it.

This man faces his toughest opponent he had in his career. This man lost against Djokovic the last 3 Grand Slam matches. One of this three was at the French Open in 2015. We all know in 2015 there wasn’t the real Rafa. Still he lost that match in 3 sets. For the first time he lost against Djokovic at Roland Garros. And after it he lost at Wimbledon 2018 when he was playing very good but Djokovic was a little bit better. And in 2019 Rafa had no chance in the final of the Australian Open.

And now the French Open 2020. The conditions doesn’t suit him very well or we thought it doesn’t suit him. Because this was the second time he had to play under the roof against Djokovic on a natural court. He already played very well in Wimbledon. But also there were the balls, the weather and more..

The opponent isn’t in a bad shape. No! This man won every match in this year when you don’t count the default against PCB. The confidence is so high of Djokovic and he is ready for the final. He isn’t tired, everything is prepared for Djokovic.

Deep inside everybody knew that it would be absolute difficult to win against Djokovic again on a Grand Slam when he will lose this match. The mental edge would be so big like never before.
Also Rafa is one Grand Slam away from Federer. Everything is on the line.

And then the match starts. And Rafa plays like I’ve never seen him playing before. Djokovic played good in the first set but Rafa was just too good. He was on his mission and he never showed any nervousness. He made maybe 5 unforced errors in the first two sets. And he played so aggressive.

Again: It’s not suprising that Rafa has won this final. But it’s very surprising how he did it. And this win will give him a lot of confidence. If he stays healthy he will be still the outsider at the Australian Open against Djokovic but I think it will be not so easy anymore for Djokovic.

For me, this was masterclass by Rafa. Congratulations and a lot respect to him how he did it. It shows a lot when you have to handle with defeats how you come back. He already showed it at Roland Garros 2012 when he lost three times in a row against Djokovic in a final of a Grand Slam. Everybody knows he doesn't have an advantage against Djokovic since 2011. Still he is just 5:6 in Grand Slams against Djokovic since 2011. In total he is 10:6 now.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Rafa wins his 13th Roland Garros. Nobody would surprise this but it surprised me a lot how he did it.

This man faces his toughest opponent he had in his career. This man lost against Djokovic the last 3 Grand Slam matches. One of this three was at the French Open in 2015. We all know in 2015 there wasn’t the real Rafa. Still he lost that match in 3 sets. For the first time he lost against Djokovic at Roland Garros. And after it he lost at Wimbledon 2018 when he was playing very good but Djokovic was a little bit better. And in 2019 Rafa had no chance in the final of the Australian Open.

And now the French Open 2020. The conditions doesn’t suit him very well or we thought it doesn’t suit him. Because this was the second time he had to play under the roof against Djokovic on a natural court. He already played very well in Wimbledon. But also there were the balls, the weather and more..

The opponent isn’t in a bad shape. No! This man won every match in this year when you don’t count the default against PCB. The confidence is so high of Djokovic and he is ready for the final. He isn’t tired, everything is prepared for Djokovic.

Deep inside everybody knew that it would be absolute difficult to win against Djokovic again on a Grand Slam when he will lose this match. The mental edge would be so big like never before.
Also Rafa is one Grand Slam away from Federer. Everything is on the line.

And then the match starts. And Rafa plays like I’ve never seen him playing before. Djokovic played good in the first set but Rafa was just too good. He was on his mission and he never showed any nervousness. He made maybe 5 unforced errors in the first two sets. And he played so aggressive.

Again: It’s not suprising that Rafa has won this final. But it’s very surprising how he did it. And this win will give him a lot of confidence. If he stays healthy he will be still the outsider at the Australian Open against Djokovic but I think it will be not so easy anymore for Djokovic.

For me, this was masterclass by Rafa. Congratulations and a lot respect to him how he did it. It shows a lot when you have to handle with defeats how you come back. He already showed it at Roland Garros 2012 when he lost three times in a row against Djokovic in a final of a Grand Slam. Everybody knows he doesn't have an advantage against Djokovic since 2011. Still he is just 5:6 in Grand Slams against Djokovic since 2011. In total he is 10:6 now.
Yes the calm and collected and handled nerves superior.
So nd got tight, nervous and handle nerves worse.
So this is huge Confidence boost for Rafa. The tight nervous years can be gone bc of this match actually.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Djokovic's fans were over confident. I understand that, but Nadal's level against Sinner and Schwartzman was better than Djokovic's level against PCB and Tsitsipas, and that was something kinda overlooked.
But maybe you were expecting he had more gears on him, which he hadnt.

The QF and SF made me believe that Nadal would win this. But I agree I was surprised how this turned to be a beatdown against a number one in a slam final against an almost undefetead player in the season.
I think Nadal wanted to prove that he cant be wrote off. And he proved It.

Off topic, anyone has the stats of how much slam finals the number 2 beat number 1? (Talking about rankings and not seeds)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I agree, even though I suspected Nadal would get the trophy eventually, I was expecting a five hour, five set monster. I certainly wasn't expecting a straight sets beatdown with bakery products.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It wasn't surprising to me whatsoever. I don't think Djokovic has actually played particularly well in 2020, albeit I didn't expect him to play such a poor match. However, I fully expected Nadal to win comfortably. What transpired was entirely predictable.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,345 Posts
Nadal was super professional yesterday, no mind games. Just straight to the task, taking each point one at a time as he usually does, not taking any match for granted. Winning so many games where Djokovic had game points shows how steely he was, wanted to take no chances. This is one of the reasons he has been so successful for so long. He has his blips and weaknesses but always has a reset button when things don't quite go right, whether within a match or sometimes after a match (especially if he loses). The third set could have turned differently but he didn't let Djokovic take the reins long enough to distract him from his target. The mentality of Nadal, OCDness and all is one of the most important attributes towards his ultimate success on court.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Djokovic was nowhere close to his best level anytime this year. He should have lost several matches already and only rarely met strong opposition. From that point of view, I would have completely expected such a beatdown if this Djokovic meets a peak version of Nadal. What I did not expect is that such a peak Nadal would turn up, as he also seemed to be below par in the previous matches.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Surprised me too because Rafa didn't fall to the dirt after winning the final.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
It did not surprise me that much. I expected Djoker to lose in 3 easy sets. Djoker has been poor on clay for like 3 years now. The question is, how will Nadal do when he faces Djoker off clay. I suspect the beating Djoker took will affect him in his next meetings with Nadal. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I re-watched the first set last night. It took precisely 4 games for Nadal to break Djokovic's spirit. By the 5th game, Djokovic was already making errors out of frustration.

That was surprising.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Rafa last 3 matches with Nole in a GrandSlam were normal.
RG15 Nole was high and Rafa wasnt to his standards. Despite the loss almost everyone knew who would win.
Wimby18 despite the loss, i would think that was a very positive for Rafa. He reached a SF in Wimby after a 5 year drought. Plus lossing to Nole in a tight 5 sets and with a few chances to beat Nole this loss wasnt devastating like Nole suffered yesterday.
AO20 wasnt even close. Rafa had 6 great matches but never tested and didnt have time and preparation to face Nole. So outcome was normal.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I re-watched the first set last night. It took precisely 4 games for Nadal to break Djokovic's spirit. By the 5th game, Djokovic was already making errors out of frustration.

That was surprising.
It was because Rafa was playing so good and Djokovic had to take more risk because after 4 games he knew this would be almost impossible when the other plays on this level. As I said it wasn't a bad performance by Djokovic yesterday.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
It was because Rafa was playing so good and Djokovic had to take more risk because after 4 games he knew this would be almost impossible when the other plays on this level. As I said it wasn't a bad performance by Djokovic yesterday.
Novak Djokovic couldn't move as he wished to due to the clay conditions, so he couldn't rely on outlasting Rafael Nadal which would have been his only chance to win the match on this mud. He was never going to hit through him.

The overconfidence in Novak Djokovic camp was due to his somewhat weak draw (other than Stefanos Tsitsipas). His clay form was a smokescreen.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I agree, even though I suspected Nadal would get the trophy eventually, I was expecting a five hour, five set monster. I certainly wasn't expecting a straight sets beatdown with bakery products.
Most people would have probably expected the same for the AO 2019 final. I remember everyone hyping that final and expecting it to be an epic only for Novak to come out and demolish Rafa.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I still am in a bit of shock. I remembered right before the match when I realized that the roof was going to be on and I felt my heart sink. It all seemed to be going Novaks way. And then boom that first set.

Obviously Rafa has had some incredible days in his career. I don't think any of us can forget Wimbledon 08 but RG20 is right up there as one of the best days in Rafa's career. Everything just came together perfectly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts