• Novak

Votes: 91 56.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Re: WWW? Wimbledon SF: [2]*Nadal vs. [12]*Djokovic

Based on their levels and the fact that Nadal played almost 5 hours today, Djokovic should be the favorite. But he is not. Nadal is the one who has been winning GSs in the past 2 years. He will have the mental edge. The question is whether Djokovic is 100% back mentally. We will find out on Friday.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

whoever wins this will be the big favourite for the title. I'm hoping for Nadal in 4.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts

Nadal in 4.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

Rafa wins it simply because it's a GOAT opportunity.

Unless Novak can really step up his game by a huge margin.

Would like to see Novak win it though so we can spice things up in GOAT debates.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hope for Novak but I think Rafa was incredible today. It's a question of whether he can reproduce this level and intensity. Or maybe Djokovic demons are still out there in his head.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Nole in 4. His level has been good for a while now bar the freak Checchinato match where the Italian played out of his mind.

5 hour matches are pretty tough to recover from when you're 32. Nole had much easier passage today. I'll give him the edge. Could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Personally I don't want either of them to win the title but prefer Nole to win over Rafa. I don't think Nole is at 100% though he'll be hungry for it. Rafa will be so determined though. I don't think today's match will affect Rafa on Friday

·
Registered
470 Posts
Honestly I think the advantage is on Rafa's side. I think he needed this battle today to be Ready for Friday. He has lost some closes matches in the last year at Wimbledon and now he won this important won.

He also knows he will be number 1 for some weeks. He will be extra motivated. And I'm not sure if Djokovic is ready for this battle.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Nole should have a win over Nadal finally. He had more rest and seen all of Nadal. Needs to abuse the Nadal backhand using topspin FH.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I'll go with Nadal in 4

overall I think both are playing at similar levels. Djokovic is probably serving better, similar ground game between the two, Nadal has been better with net/dropshots. I do think its telling mentally/physically how Nadal handled Del Potro today though- Rafa definitely is confident and willing to go the distance. Del Potro was also clearly in much better form than Novak's QF opponent (Nishikori), which IMO gives us more of an idea of where Nadal is at than Djokovic.

Also there certainly must be doubts about whether or not Djokovic is truly 'back' mentally and physically for the big matches. Nishikori isn't a true test in that regard, Kei generally always folds against the top guns. We still need to see what happens in that 'Madrid Final 2017 Zverev' sort of situation, where it looks like Djokovic is playing well but then he struggles in the end. Maybe that won't happen now, but it's a question mark whether or not he has full belief and is 100% back to the required fitness level to beat the best of the best

whatever happens this will be a close match most likely. I still think Nadal impressed me more so far this tournament due to dealing with an overall higher quality QF and by being forced to be more versatile. I think Djokovic has sort of been in autopilot against all of his opponents. If Nadal serves well on Friday I don't think Novak can win. But we'll see

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Although I want Rafa to win I'm concerned that today's match will have taken too much out of him. Djokovic played for two hour less today and finished several hours earlier than Rafa and that must surely be to his advantage. Even if Rafa loses, a SF here is a great result for him and points-wise will act as a buffer if he doesn't defend his US Open title.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Hope for Novak but I think Rafa was incredible today. It's a question of whether he can reproduce this level and intensity. Or maybe Djokovic demons are still out there in his head.
difficult to say but I agree that based on the QF's today Nadal would be the obvious pick for the SF win. The Del Potro - Nadal match was at a light years higher level than the Nishikori - Djokovic QF.

And Nadal was incredibly clutch and fit when it mattered. Djokovic looks to be in good form but when's the last time at a slam that he played a highly intense match that went the distance and required him to be particularly mentally/physically strong? It's been a while. Which creates a question mark

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If Nadal has fuel in the tank he will take the match in 4 sets. In fact this version of Delpo was the most horrible matchup Nadal could have Faced... Delpo played the best match of his career along USO 2009 final... only this time on grass.. That high level was Nadal playing today.. Bar the choke serving for the second.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't even care at this point. Just pleased that we won't get another Fraud travesty again. That said, Nadal has a higher level - but is probably quite spent by now, would say 70-30 Nadal normally, but now 50-50. Djokovic is probably peeing in his pants after he saw the level Rafa kept against Delpo. And rightly so.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts