Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is going to the second week of Wimbledon?

:devil:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Vasek probably in 4, I'll be happy with any result though.

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
Pospisil in 4 to get the 4R for the first time in any GS! (Thank you Ferrer!)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Newest member of the top 100 to progress and gobble up more vital ranking points

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
Pospisil is a donkey on grass. Ward should be disappointed if he doesn't win this.
Exactly the opposite actually, grass suits his game, good serve, solid net play. He should have beaten Youzhny here a couple years ago and he did what he usually does and choked.

Has a Wimbledon title already in doubles.

If grass isn't his best surface it's not that far behind hardcourts.

You sure you're not talking about Jaroslav Pospisil?

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
anyway, this was a predictable round 3 match as soon as Ferrer withdrew. I had Ward winning it then and I'll stick with that, Vasek's brain won't allow him to make the 2nd week of a slam.

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
Obligatory reference to the fact that this decides Nadal's potential 4th round opponent...

Despite a dodgy opening round Pospisil looked better against Fognini today and will probably take this, but it's certainly a bout as good a shot as he could hope for for Ward to make round 4. Assuming Ward plays well this has the potential to go the distance, neither player is averse to an occasional 5 setter :lol:

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
The British no 1 to beat the Canadian no 1 in 4
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The final isn't here yet. Plenty of time to talk about that in a little over a week.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly the opposite actually, grass suits his game, good serve, solid net play. He should have beaten Youzhny here a couple years ago and he did what he usually does and choked.

I agree with you but in singles, his results on the surface leave a lot to be desired.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Lol one of these two will make it to the 4th round and the winner is supposed to play Nadal in the 4th :facepalm:

Why am I not surprised.

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
I agree with you but in singles, his results on the surface leave a lot to be desired.
I agree with you there, he hasn't done much on grass, but it's such a small sample, it's not like his pathetic record on clay.

His game suits the surface, even if the results don't really show it.

Honestly he probably should have a 4th round appearance here already. 2013 he was up a break in the 5th to Youzhny in the 2nd round and blew it with 4 straight games against to lose. Youzhny went on to beat an unseeded Troicki in straights. The draw was open then and he blew it. I'd say that's more choking than being bad on grass.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Don't really rate his movement on the grass. Never really done anything of note on it has he? Doubles means jack.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Dulls route to the Quarters

Bellucci
Brown
Troicki/Bedene
Ward/Pospisil

Uncle Toni working his magic, he's 10th seed aswell
On top of that Ferrer's late withdrawal was not an accident. ;)

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
Don't really rate his movement on the grass. Never really done anything of note on it has he? Doubles means jack.
doubles means he has a good net game, the game needed for doubles often translates onto grass well.

He's 6-12 on the surface before this week so 8-12 now. Of those 12 losses he's won a set in 9 of them, most of them against fairly good grass court players. Almost beat Youzhny here 2 years ago, made the 3rd round now, has made a QF on grass.

He's not outstanding on it no, but he's not outstanding on any surface. He's only .500 on hard courts.

What I'm saying is when his game is on it suits very well for grass, possibly better than it does for hard courts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts