Who Would Win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWW? Wimbledon R32: Nishikori vs. Kyrgios

One of the rare seed matchups in 32 this year's Wimbledon. Kyrgios looks like the favorite in paper but a break from Nishikori can make things trickier for him. Who will win? Center Court match, you think.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Re: WWW? Wimbledon R32: Nishikori vs. Kyrgios

I see The Milos Boom Boom effect coming up

Kei had a 2-0 H2H perfect record against Milos on hard court until Wimbledon in their 3rd meeting, Milos won that match in 4 due to his booming serve

Kei also has a 3-0 perfect record against Nick on hard courts, so I am expecting Nick to spoil his perfect record.....in 4 sets

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts

Kei on a good day might hit 24 aces but I doubt it will be enough when Nick can hit double. 5 sets is scary too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nick in 4

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Mouth watering match up, this is real sit back and drink a beer territory.

Their match in Madrid that went to three sets in maybe 2014 is one of my personal favourite matches I've watched actually. Nishikori vs a big ballbasher can often be great matches, there will be so much shotmaking going on here.

The problem on clay and hard for Kyrgios is that his inability to hit a proper backhand is exposed, obviously on grass that doesn't matter as you can slice and bunt to just as good an effect. This will be good, tight and Kyrgios will be slight favourite. Kyrgios will need to finnish in 4 sets to avert decidingsetikori. It will be decided on a couple points in tiebreaks and breakpoints.

Dont miss it, it will be intense and un, might be the match of the tournament

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
If Kei is clutch in a couple of tiebreaks and maybe find a clutch break here or there, he could win this. Kyrgios faltered a little in his match again Hasse where he was broken I think twice in the same set.

Kyrgios is the fave, but not as much as some here are implying.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I fear Kyrgios might fall prey to Luckverev draws always opening up. j/k or not ?

Having said that, hoping for Nishikori to beat both of them and Go as far as possible

·
52,631 Posts
Mouth watering match up, this is real sit back and drink a beer territory.

Their match in Madrid that went to three sets in maybe 2014 is one of my personal favourite matches I've watched actually. Nishikori vs a big ballbasher can often be great matches, there will be so much shotmaking going on here.

The problem on clay and hard for Kyrgios is that his inability to hit a proper backhand is exposed, obviously on grass that doesn't matter as you can slice and bunt to just as good an effect. This will be good, tight and Kyrgios will be slight favourite. Kyrgios will need to finnish in 4 sets to avert decidingsetikori. It will be decided on a couple points in tiebreaks and breakpoints.

Dont miss it, it will be intense and un, might be the match of the tournament
2016 actually, Nick two pts from winning. Nick took Kei to 3 in 2015 Shanghai too, but Kei started to read Nick's serve almost completely winning half of the returns. Kei will make more mistakes on the FH compared to on clay or hard so this will definitely be rough. Nick's botting is rough but he actually prefers it to Milo's which comes from a greater height.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

One of the rare seed matchups in 32 this year's Wimbledon. Kyrgios looks like the favorite in paper but a break from Nishikori can make things trickier for him. Who will win? Center Court match, you think.
I am not sure it will be Center Court, as on the same day there will be Djoko/Edmund (locked for Center Court) and also Nadal/De Minaur

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Rough test for Kei here, a single drop of serve might be deadly. Having said that I'm still far from convinced about Kyrgios' ground game so Kei should try to make the most out of successful returns. CCBH exchanges should favor the samurai.

Blockbuster R3 no doubt.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
@devision2002 If Nadal hasn't been outside Centre Court, surely this match should have priority, seeing it is between the biggest stars of Japan and Australia, right?
I agree and I would put Kyrgios Nishikori on Center Court and put Nadal on court one but Wimbledon organisers do think differently than most of the tennis fans, so we will see, but it will be at least Court One

·
52,631 Posts
Why was Nishikori given so little respect? :)
I like when the poll goes the opposite way. Nick did have a good grass season really leading up, while Kei fell in Halle badly to Khachanov and dropped a set to Christian Harrison and Tomic in his earlier rounds. Though Kei also beat Anderson in straights easily at the grass exho before that. This result shows that even on Kei's worst surface and Nick's 'best', Nick still suffers from the matchup issue. Safe to say Kei is actually the worst opponent for Nick on tour, even above Federer et al.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts