Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could turn out to be a pretty interesting match. Gulbis owns him in H2H (4-1), but all the matches have been played on hard courts (3-0 on indoor hard, 1-1 on outdoor). Gulbis was fairly average in first round against Zopp - did poorly on return (managed to break just twice) and made lots of FH errors. Stakh played a very solid match against Berlocq, but let's be honest - that match is not really an indication of anything as Berlocq on grass is just shit.

I can't see a straight sets win here for Gulbis and if he returns as poorly as he did against Zopp then I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of TBs and if that happens then no result here would really shock me. Still, given their H2H I expect Gulbis to come through in the end, maybe in 4.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
maybe stakho for the upset here...

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Wouldnt surprise me if Stak wins it. Ernie was never so good on grass, probably his worst surface.

I hope they put it on TV-court at least.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldnt surprise me if Stak wins it. Ernie was never so good on grass, probably his worst surface.

I hope they put it on TV-court at least.
Well, he was pretty good in that match against Berdych in 2012 - if only he could manage to play like that more often on grass. Potential is there. But, I agree, it is his worst surface for sure.

Match will be on streamed court - 1st match on 12th court.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Destroy him Ernie !!! :armed:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
tough match for Ernie here, Stak is a great grass court player and Gulbis will have to fight hard if he wants to win this. Serve is the key on this match.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I want Gulbis to win but reallistically i think Stakho is better, definitely better grass courter, only scenario i can see Ernie to win is in tie-breaks and serve great, otherwise in rallies Stakho can trouble going to the net, change rhytm and so on. Close match i think Gulbis in 4 if serving bit otherwise Stakho in 4-5

1 - 18 of 18 Posts