WWW Wimbledon R1: Thiem - Saville?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting match between two twenty year olds. Thiem has a grand total of zero career wins on grass, while Saville came through quali's, albeit barely. Three sets against Bellucci, three against Williams and an epic 8-6 in the fifth against Marti. He also won the junior tournament in 2011 and lost in the final the following year, so when it comes to grass court résumés he's quite clearly Thiem's superior.

We're gonna see what's going on, although MTF is in dire need of a Thiem - Dimitrov match, which could happen in the second round.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately, think it will be Saville in 3. Would love for Thiem to do well here but he's just not experienced enough on grass. I would be very pleased if Dominic proves me wrong :)

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Who's Saville? :confused:

Past records don't count when quality is obviously making a solid gap between the two.

Thiem in 3 or 4, i'm not even doubtful, at all.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who's Saville? :confused:

Past records don't count when quality is obviously making a solid gap between the two.

Thiem in 3 or 4, i'm not even doubtful, at all.
Who's Thiem on grass? Pure tennis quality isn't always a deciding factor on this surface, I think he's a bit comparable to Wawrinka in that regard.

His backhand preparation hurts him, serve isn't good enough, still learning to move on the surface, etc.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Thiem HAS TO win to save uncle latso's credibility, doesn't he?
credibility? i'm not tipping mate, just expressing an opinion, which could end up right or wrong, i don't even care..

when there are no odds involved, there's no "credibility", just opinions..

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Who's Thiem on grass? Pure tennis quality isn't always a deciding factor on this surface, I think he's a bit comparable to Wawrinka in that regard.

His backhand preparation hurts him, serve isn't good enough, still learning to move on the surface, etc.
comparing him with Wawrinka is absolutely spot on, but Wawrinka is gonna win many of is matches, only coz he's a superior player than most the rest.

Not against the higher level grassers, but lower level for sure. Supposed to anyway.

Sampras has wins on clay, Rafa has tittles in London and NY, etc. Surface matters, but when the class is somewhat comparable.

That's what i think at least.

Of course, give me 5.00 for Saville and watch me... :)

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
credibility? i'm not tipping mate, just expressing an opinion, which could end up right or wrong, i don't even care..

when there are no odds involved, there's no "credibility", just opinions..
What I meant was the thesis you put forward during claycourt season when you claimed that Thiem should focus on grass season.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
What I meant was the thesis you put forward during claycourt season when you claimed that Thiem should focus on grass season.
oh, right.

i was wrong back then. wrongly assumed several things.

He's still not gonna rock the clay world, but won't shine on grass either.

His field will be the middle earth - HC.

I might be wrong again though, but it looks more reasonable from today's perspective.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
to be precise:

Indian Wells R3: Benneteau def. Thiem 7-6(4) 6-3

I have one concern about him and his potential for the future - with this style he looks absolutely doomed on clay. I hope i'm wrong and he's got game for this important part of the season, but i can bet he's gonna mostly leap over this part and excel on hard, potentially grass as well if he fixes the serve.
I thought you expected him to do great on grass. My bad

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
i dont get how people are voting for thiem to win. he's 0-3 on grass this season, he's barely won sets. this is a great opportunity for saville

i kind of dont even want dom to win because i have a feeling grigor would kill him on this surface

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
oh, then i've been relatively right i guess :lol:

except for him being doomed on clay, he isn't. but won't be a force neither i think.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
thiem in 4, imo

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Hm. Same thing that the Goffin match two weeks ago: again it's a kind draw, but Domi still has no experience here. If he couldn't beat David... I'm not expecting anything here. Saville in 4.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Saville is bulk average but Thiem is deplorable on grass right now. Complete toss up..

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Saville preys on youngsters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts