Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new territory for Granollers and he never seems to do well against Spaniards.. So this would be the time he would get really tight in tight moments. Is Granollers ever known choking? Ferrero has to recover from that 5 hr match though. Tough one :confused:

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
marcel has the better first serve, but it's all downhill from there. JCF is much better from the baseline and seems to know how to play granollers judging from the head-to-head. I'm not completely counting out marcel, but I think ferrero should win this in 4.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Brand new territory for Granollers and he never seems to do well against Spaniards.. So this would be the time he would get really tight in tight moments. Is Granollers ever known choking? Ferrero has to recover from that 5 hr match though. Tough one :confused:
Granolla bar kicked Nando's ass in Gstaad just a few weeks ago. He's playing really good tennis of late but Ferrero is better than him. But at 31 with limited match time how much will Ferrero have left in the tank? That 4+ hour duel with Monfils wasn't like playing Dr. Ivo. It took a lot out of him.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Draw is very good for Juan Carlos, I think he can probably beat Marcel.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Ferrero has won all previous meetings, but they were on clay. US Open courts are playing slow, but this is probably Granny's best chance yet to beat Ferrero, and certainly he should be a lot fresher physically.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Playing out on Court 17 will help Granollers. JCF likes the bigger stages and Marcel will feel less pression/intimidation.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
The h2h won't be too important. JCF got demolished last year by Melzer whom he use to always beat. Granollers big 1st serve will help a lot more than their previous clay meetings.

·
A happy person
44,905 Posts
Ferrero in 4. He isn't that type of player who won a hard match then is tired two days later.
Marcel also has bad match-up, his serve is great but isn't enough against great returners like Ferrero. His only chance if Ferrero seems extremly tired.

and he never seems to do well against Spaniards..
Usually yes, especially against Ferrero (and Ferrer).

Is Granollers ever known choking?
Last time in Valencia 2010 (it was quali match)
In this year he hasn't had similar problems. :)

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Hopefully JC's hip and fitness hold up. A good start could be the difference here, but if he's fit he definitely has the edge.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Ferrero will win in straights unless he can't give an adequate performance. Granollers' serve is good, but it's not good enough where it will prevent him from being broken by a good returner in Ferrero.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Ferrero is far better than Marcel, even now.
I really hope he wins this.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The only way I can see Ferrero losing is if his body betrays him, which is definitely possible after the previous match. This is a big-deal match for Granollers and I don't see him being able to handle the pressure of being the on-paper favorite to this guy.

Besides, with the top 2 seeds out in doubles, I'm rooting for Marcel and Marc to go all the way. That would be epic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts