Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Coric in 5

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coric may have looked solid enough in his past rounds, but Del Potro is going to be a whole other kettle of fish for Coric.

Del Potro was playing outrageous tennis vs. Verdasco, who was clubbering the ball. Del Potro is clubbing his backhand again and everything is clicking for him. He has his eyes set on the prize almost 10 years later.

I'm expecting an easy three sets for the Tower of Tennis :sport:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Should be a routine beatdown of this pusher.

Delpo in 3.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Del Potro is going to be a whole other kettle of fish for Coric.
Well, if the kettle's large enough, maybe there'll be some fish left over for the Djoker to eat. That way he can continue to keep his "biological age" down, as mentioned in another thread. :grin2:

This could be an exciting match. Glad to see del Potro playing well.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Coric will probably utilize the backhand to backhand tactics (similar to his tactics vs Federer) and I fancy his chances vs Delpo if he can hit it consistently. Coric in 4.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It will be the first encounter between JMDP and Coric.
I don't think Delpo played that well against Verdasco, he was just better when it mattered the most but was a bit erratic at times, he was happy to win in three, but almost 3 hours tough, he will need to play better against Coric.
I have not seen Borna yet in this US Open, so I can't judge his level. One may say that Coric will try to use the backhand to backhand tactic, but if Delpo often finds Coric forehand, I don't think that Borna will have a lot of chance here as his forehand is still his weakest side. It can be a long battle, but Delpo is supposed the better on the mental size, so I would still say that Delpo will win it

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Del Potro beating Nadal in the semis and then Federer in the final. Now what does that make me think of.....

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't think Coric can win, but he can certainly make it tough. Del Potro has looked in good shape, but whether this match will be relatively straightforward or a 4 hour grindfest may well have an impact on his chances later on. Hopefully it's the former.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Coric will probably utilize the backhand to backhand tactics (similar to his tactics vs Federer) and I fancy his chances vs Delpo if he can hit it consistently. Coric in 4.
The thing is, Delpo doesn't miss from his BH side, he just gives you a bit weaker ball, you still have to finish it.

·
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Del Potro used his backhand to go after Verdascos forehand and backhand.

This is not the same Del Potro of last year.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
DelPo is a whole other level from the opponents Coric has faced so far, he'll have to raise his game a lot higher than what he's shown IMO or hope the Argie's having an off day.

I'll be content whoever wins, though, and wish him the best in the QF.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I have not seen Borna yet in this US Open, so I can't judge his level. One may say that Coric will try to use the backhand to backhand tactic, but if Delpo often finds Coric forehand, I don't think that Borna will have a lot of chance here as his forehand is still his weakest side. It can be a long battle, but Delpo is supposed the better on the mental size, so I would still say that Delpo will win it
Aside from the first couple of sets against Flo Mayer, where he was firing on all cylinders - his opponent being on the brink of retirement may have contributed, though the veteran improved mid match - I'd say Coric has been generally good but not great.

R2 was the weakest from him, I feel, and the straight sets score flattered him as he'd surely have lost the first (possibly more) to a better player than RCB, though Coric improved as the match progressed. Was considerably better vs Medvedev, even if the Russian underwhelmed expectations.

Serve has been mostly effective apart from R2 - though he's had to dig himself out of trouble more than I'd like, so clutchness has been OK. ROS, an area I read Coric has been working on, has been good to my unpractised eye. Movement and BH sharp as usual, FH not awful but still the obvious weak spot.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The thing is, Delpo doesn't miss from his BH side, he just gives you a bit weaker ball, you still have to finish it.
Yeah, and let's not forget that Delpo does make variations on the BH side and at any moment he can change it to his FH side. Making him pretty unpredictable. At times you can see opponents fear of this. Delpo's also serving lights out and his mental game intact. SO that BH to BH should be nearly flawless which I doubt. Delpo's wining this one. Even though I like Coric. JM in 3

·
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also Del Potro is going to be "home crowd" favorite. Maybe a handful of people will support Coric, but everyone else will be saying "OLE OLE! "

We will see how Coric deals with this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts