Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Goffin and Denis Shapovalov are interesting rivals who always try to show not only high-quality, but also beautiful tennis. The public simply adores when these opponents cross racquets to determine who is the best athlete to date.

Who will win? (y)

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
on paper david should be favorite. his game is just a bad matchup with shapovalov. it depends though on what version of david turns up here. he was average in the first 2 rounds and lucky not to go down 0-2 in sets to harris. but he was great today against krajinovic. i think if david turns up and plays well he wins in 4 , maybe 5. but if he is having one of those days when he cant serve at all than shapovalov will sweep him aside

i really want to see david finally make a QF here and i think he has a good shot. im more optimistic than i was after seeing his level today. i will say david in 4

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Based on what I saw in the third round, I would say David is the slight favourite as Denis had too many dips in his match against Fritz but this amazing come back win might boost his confidence and Denis is able to raise his level. So it will be a close one. For David, a win would mean, a first QF at the US Open and would then have reached the QF in all slams which would be a great accomplishment and for Denis a win, would mean a first QF in a slam. Unfortunately for both of them, the winner will have to face Novak next...
This is the match I will look forward to see in the last 16 (with maybe Thiem/FAA if they both qualify in the bottom draw)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
David in 4 probably, I can see denis playing one set out of his mind but he is not consistent enough for this. However, he did surprise me today, so there is still hope can pull off the upset.
Good to goffin playing well again, hopefully we will get a great match.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The muffin in 4. David is playing fine tennis from what I've seen, while Shapo is having lots of ups and downs. Consistency will prevail

·
Registered
781 Posts
David by a long way... Shap is not QF material... He knows it, David knows it, and the entire universe knows it.....

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
David should win,hopefully.

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
This will be good.

Let's go Shapo.

Get that QF!

·
Registered
17,837 Posts

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
I am a big Shap fan but also a fan of Goff's, all logic points to a Goff win, but Denis has been doing some special things lately, in regards to clutchness and determination to win, so I'm not sure at all who wins, but is should be a fantastic match.\
Denis is just so exciting to watch. (Not a bad stand in for my #1 fav, Nadal, in that regard.)

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Goffin would be a much safer bet, but anyone who's serious about their money should keep it close to the vest. Both can be so hot or so cold, that making any sort of prediction here is a total shot in the dark.

·
Registered
670 Posts
They only met once (Tokyo last year) and that was a tight 7-6 7-6 affair. Denis is impossible to gauge. He seems to be more comfortable playing without audience feedback than I thought. Djokovic was there during the match vs Fritz. He always prepares meticulously...
Goffin - much more experience and great skills. Shapo - talent coming out of his ears and big weapons but somewhat inconsistent. I'm glad I'm not a betting man.

·
justice for all
16,252 Posts
As opposed to most here I don’t think Muffin is an overwhelming favourite in this one. It’s more like a 50-50 or 55-45 in favour of David match. Both are struggling here with patches of good and bad play so a lot will depend on the „form of the day”.
My heart is obviously with Denis here. Come on! Reach your first slam QF!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yes, lets hope for another dramatic Djokovic-Goffin encounter.

The world needs this
Im obviously a Goffin fan but Im dreadin the potential QF. Only win Goffin got he was absolutely peaking and it was on clay. But its not impossible

But one thing at a time

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
I picked Denis in 5.
There's something big happening right now for Canadian players. They are very inspired.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hopefully David sends the ball bashing Draco Malfoy lookalike back to Alaska.

Reactions: jojjeshruk
1 - 20 of 37 Posts